New Video! SGM Vepr 12 Magazine Competition Tuning for Flawless Op

this is why I buy the factory ones. It should work straight out of the box. If it doesn't it's a crap aftermarket magazine which doesn't work on par with promag.

you shouldn't have to file them to fit, "tune" and screw with it until it works. Test fire everything repeatedly to determine which ones work and which don't. You may as well save yourself time and money... go buy factory magazines.

Here's the million dollar question did anyone ever think to call molot or izhmash and have a mould shipped? Seriously if you can't find a tool and die maker capable order one.

I would just like to add this has been the same crap since the wraith maker drum and AGP mags came out and nobody can make a magazine that works.

Edited by mike123456

this is why I buy the factory ones. It should work straight out of the box. If it doesn't it's a crap aftermarket magazine which doesn't work on par with promag.

you shouldn't have to file them to fit, "tune" and screw with it until it works. Test fire everything repeatedly to determine which ones work and which don't. You may as well save yourself time and money... go buy factory magazines.

Here's the million dollar question did anyone ever think to call molot or izhmash and have a mould shipped? Seriously if you can't find a tool and die maker capable order one.

I would just like to add this has been the same crap since the wraith maker drum and AGP mags came out and nobody can make a magazine that works.

Factory mags are not without their issues. In fact, all magazines for the Vepr 12 have their quirks and issues. Ive handled enough of them to know that. 

Of course we all want perfect out of the box functionality, but that is not realistic. 

Mike, remember that link you posted just the other day to the "gunsmith special" Vepr 12s available on Classic? Take a closer look at some of those. "Mag stuck in gun....Mag stuck in gun"

I received a loaner Vepr 12 to work on/make videos with recently, and it came without a mag. I went to insert 2 different factory 5 rounders that I had in there...and had to beat them out with a rubber mallet. I have a 5 pack of 8 round factory mags right now, half of them will not drop free in 1 of my Vepr 12s, and insert no easier than an unmodified SGM. In my OTHER Vepr, they work without any issues. 

The variation is IN THE MAG WELL, from the factory. I have done enough work to these to find that out. Specifically the rivets that protrude into the mag well, the depth of which has changed between import batches/production runs of the shotgun, as well as the pitch of the magazine release retainer and its engagement with the mag well/magazine release itself. 

The truth is that the SGM Vepr 12 magazines were designed for the first batch of Vepr 12s in 2012. And lets not forget that until very recently, the Molot 10 rounders used to cost $110 a piece. 

If you want or require more than 10 rounds at a time, then SGM is the only answer.

A while ago, someone posted a poll question on the Vepr.org forum asking about peoples experience with the SGM Vepr 12 mags. The MAJORITY of those who answered said they had no issues with the mags. Ever. For some people they work fine. For others, all you need is a few minutes of well executed tuning, which I have now freely given the instructions on how to do. 

There are thousands of these mags out there. They are used by top level competitors and in conjunction with the top level custom builds. Like many high end firearms, such as $3000-$5000+ 2011 pistol builds that use $170 magazines, some of them need to be tuned to the gun they are being used with. Just about everything can be tuned, bent, and polished to do your bidding. 

I personally have no problem doing the work. Thats just how I roll. I enjoy it. I enjoy solving problems, especially when the payoff is so great. 

If you think about it, they SGM mag mirrors perfectly the gun that its made for. I have owned or worked on about 10 Vepr 12 shotguns. Some run perfectly out of the box with a wide range of ammo. Some need about 30 minutes worth of work with a file and some sandpaper. Some need a little more love. 

Once you get squared away, you get to ride the lightning off into the sunset.

Or you can sit back with you arms crossed, shit all over everything, and demand perfection from the factory. Good luck to you whatever path you choose. 

-V

Edited by VforVandetta
  • 3 weeks later...

so. why dont you just remove material from inside the mag?  havent watched these completely to know whether you mentioned the answer or not....

also,  when you file down an edge, you are putting a "radius" on it.  not patronizing, just sharing info.....

love the production value in your vids!

so. why dont you just remove material from inside the mag?  havent watched these completely to know whether you mentioned the answer or not....

also,  when you file down an edge, you are putting a "radius" on it.  not patronizing, just sharing info.....

love the production value in your vids!

angle....radius, I never was any good at math lol.

To answer your question, wrapping sandpaper around the follower and giving it a good couple of up/downs through the mag bodies used to be part of my mag tuning procedure. It no longer is. It also does nothing for easing the insertion/drop free of the mag. 

Not NEARLY enough material can be removed by inside sanding to have the desired effect, and pretty quickly you will be removing important material from the "rails" inside that guide the rounds up. Depending on the dimensions and tolerances inside the magazine well, 2 things must happen:

1. the mag must be widened at the top to compensate for the pinching that occurs inside the well. 

2. the mag sides at the top need to be sanded down to compensate for the widening, and further to ease insertion and drop free.

Thats it. 

And what I am finding now is that these 2 things must be balanced by not over stretching the mags, which will cause rounds to skip forward off their tracks inside the mags and cause double feeds. A mag can be just fine in one gun, but put it in another with looser or tighter tolerances and it will behave differently. I know this from LOTS of experience. 

I've done just about everything to these mags to make them run 100%, and I have found the best "recipe". Trust me. 

biggrin.png

-V

Edited by VforVandetta
  • 4 years later...