Well guys, for the sake of privacy I haven't revealed this, but tomorrow my oldest son will be graduating from his high school as valedictorian of his class.  Number 1 out of 409.  His plans are to attend college at a smaller school here in Texas on an ROTC scholarship and major in chemical engineering, then God willing, enroll and complete pharmacy school.  Afterwards, he plans on serving in the US Army as a pharmacist for the minimum ten year requirement.  My wife and I are super proud of him.  The last four years passed like a flash, and considering all the time he dedicated to athletics, we were all a bit stunned that he pulled off the number one rank. He completed every single advanced placement class offered by his school all the while getting to school at 6:00 am every day to meet his team sport obligation.  To say that he "earned it", is really an understatement.  

• Like 9

Well done Sir and him especially!  My daughter (I know, only 3rd grade) graduated from 3rd grade yesterday on the honor roll (didn't know crap about that when I was her age) and I couldn't be prouder.  Congrats to your son and both of you as his proud parents!

Parenting. Good parenting. Is one of the toughest jobs there is. Especially in todays world.

Our job is to raise a competent and honorable adult. Not a perpetual child.

Sounds like you guys did your job very well. Your son has a strong foundation for which to build his future on.

Congrats to you all.

Two thing I always said to my daughter which she remembers to this day.

"Put some gratitude in your attitude"

and

"Our job is to shine a light down the path your on, not carry you down it."

• Like 1

Oldest step son just got his batchelor's from FSU and is going back for master's. Looks like youngest step son is about to begin dual enrollment and my daughter is pressing forward in Communications and Broadcasting. I never realized we were doing all that great of a job with them, but I have always been one to expect too much from myself. I feel like the luckiest man alive that we don't have any deadbeat mooching addicts for children. No matter how you raise them all it takes is one poor decision on their part to make misery your reality.

• Like 1

Thank you all! He delivered his valedictorian speech last night without a hitch. It was a good delivery, but not met with great applause. He basically told his classmates to work hard, finish what you start, don't let set-backs sink your ship, ask for help if you need it, don't just think the right thing but actually do it, and don't lie because the truth eventually comes out and there will be consequences for the lies. It probably went over the heads of more than a few kids, but many seemed genuinely moved by what he said. I know his teachers were proud of what he said.

• Like 1