8 replies to this topic

#1 patriot

patriot

Pro Patria Vigilans. Verbum Vincet

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

I'm considering purchasing or building a semi auto carbine as a companion arm to my 45 Win Mag pistol.

AR platform is a possibility, a complete upper would be preferable.

Any ideas?

JUST 45 Win Mag.

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25
Tromix.....The best Saiga 12 you could buy. 

#2 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

RMWXtreme will make one for me. All I have to do is tell him what I want and hand over some $$$

He's got some nice toys over there....

"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25

#3 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

That also sounds like the sort of thing Tony Rumore would do.

#4 ironhead7544

ironhead7544

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

At one time, a company was building M1 carbines in 45WM.   I dont remember the name.

I once made one up in 357 Auto Mag, so I guess it could be done in 45WM.

#5 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

It was LeMag firearms. Tim LeGendre was the guy. He made one for me, then had to fix it after the locking lug sheared off and blew the bolt into my head. I bled like crazy. After I bought a new bolt (he didn't stand up for it), he used it to repair the rifle. It works now, sort of, but doesn't cycle all the time. It never did. His answer was to use more powder than the book calls for, and loctite on the bullet. Really. I will NOT do that. Someday I'll work on it a bit and get it to cycle properly with factory ammo.

BTW: The bolt gave me a mild concussion, and I still have the scar, about an inch from my right temple.

Edited by patriot, 11 June 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#6 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

That sounds sketchy as hell.  I was going to say that the M1 seems like a poor starting point, but that sounds like an understatment based on your experience.

Was Tim LeGender involved in the Vulcan 50s by chance?

#7 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

That sounds sketchy as hell.  I was going to say that the M1 seems like a poor starting point, but that sounds like an understatment based on your experience.

Was Tim LeGender involved in the Vulcan 50s by chance?

Nope. Tim had nothing to do with Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne/WTF. 

I'm going over the carbine now and I've found a couple of spots where the slide is rubbing, stealing energy. Once I take care of that, and inspect the gas system (it needs a good teardown and detail clean), I'll do a general polish and lube, then test.

#8 patriot

patriot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

After a complete teardown, clean, and reassembly, I cleared up a few spots in the stock that were rubbing the op rod.

Now it functions flawlessly with STARTING level loads. (Which are still plenty powerful).

Problem solved.

Since it's rebirth, I really like this gun. Quite a lot of fun.

• Ronin38 likes this

#9 Ronin38

Ronin38

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

I love a happy ending!  :D

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."  -Marcus Cole

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users