I'm considering purchasing or building a semi auto carbine as a companion arm to my 45 Win Mag pistol.

AR platform is a possibility, a complete upper would be preferable.

Any ideas?

JUST 45 Win Mag.

It was LeMag firearms. Tim LeGendre was the guy. He made one for me, then had to fix it after the locking lug sheared off and blew the bolt into my head. I bled like crazy. After I bought a new bolt (he didn't stand up for it), he used it to repair the rifle. It works now, sort of, but doesn't cycle all the time. It never did. His answer was to use more powder than the book calls for, and loctite on the bullet. Really. I will NOT do that. Someday I'll work on it a bit and get it to cycle properly with factory ammo.

BTW: The bolt gave me a mild concussion, and I still have the scar, about an inch from my right temple.

Edited by patriot

That sounds sketchy as hell.  I was going to say that the M1 seems like a poor starting point, but that sounds like an understatment based on your experience.

Was Tim LeGender involved in the Vulcan 50s by chance?

That sounds sketchy as hell.  I was going to say that the M1 seems like a poor starting point, but that sounds like an understatment based on your experience.

Was Tim LeGender involved in the Vulcan 50s by chance?

Nope. Tim had nothing to do with Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne/WTF. 

I'm going over the carbine now and I've found a couple of spots where the slide is rubbing, stealing energy. Once I take care of that, and inspect the gas system (it needs a good teardown and detail clean), I'll do a general polish and lube, then test.

• 3 months later...

After a complete teardown, clean, and reassembly, I cleared up a few spots in the stock that were rubbing the op rod.

Now it functions flawlessly with STARTING level loads. (Which are still plenty powerful).

Problem solved.

Since it's rebirth, I really like this gun. Quite a lot of fun.

• Like 1