I had a great week...

Lightning struck our home Tuesday and we lost nearly every modern amenity (fried nearly everything, TVs, water heater, and on and on), BUT our home didn't burn down, the AC still works, and the coffee maker works perfectly. It may sound odd, but I feel like a lucky guy. I don't need much to be happy, but AC and coffee are must have items.

• Like 7

Lightning took out our deep-well water pump a couple years ago. That kind of sucked. Never take turning the faucet and having water come out for granted.

Luckily we have several springs on the farm to go get buckets of water from.

• Like 1

I was very happy with the result of the strike. My wife, on the other hand, got a bit mad at me because I wasn't disappointed. She said something to the effect of "What's wrong with you, you don't even care do you?".  That was the opening of a talk about what really matters and being thankful that our home is not a pile of ash.

We have city water here and well at the shop. I always thought I would hate being on city water, but the bill is fairly cheap and if the power goes out we still have water pressure. It was nice to get a shower with the power out when that last storm went through (Matthew?).

Sorry to hear about the lightning strike, Anthony. Man! These things really do provide perspective, and the opportunity for us to count our blessings.

• Like 2

Yes, I fully understand.  it could have been much, much worse.  I keep telling my wife she needs to be happy with what we have....it could always be worse.  Hasn't worked yet.

We all have the potential to cling tightly to the worldly and superficial. We have been programmed all of our lives for it and it seems easier to roll with it, but it is a pursuit that will never achieve an end and requires much more effort to participate in than to deny it our energy. I asked my wife, "How many TVs are you taking with you when you die?... then TVs don't matter", lol. Sure, I enjoy nice stuff just like anyone else, but I'm not about to let the absence of nice stuff ruin my day. My wife tends to focus a bit much on what other people think of what we have. I am sure that I am not alone. If she dies before me I am sure that I will greatly simplify my surroundings. I'll only have what I need and I'll be thankful for that simplicity. Maybe I could get a property somewhere far out, build another shop with a small loft apartment, and call it good.

Sorry to hear about the lightning strike, Anthony. Man! These things really do provide perspective, and the opportunity for us to count our blessings.

Recently, maybe in the last few months, I have realized that I have been given everything I ever wanted or needed in a worldly sense, but still felt a yearning for something that I can't fully comprehend in this existence. My blessings are like the stars, more than I can count ;)

Happy is a state of mind! Dwelling on losses just makes you NOT enjoy the blessings that you HAVE!

I tend to look at happy as a simple decision that our subconscious mind makes for us, but our conscious mind has the power to override. I decide to be happy in spite of a lot of things that would make most people miserable. Beyond physical discomfort, there isn't much that I can't get past.

• Like 3

Lightning struck and partially burned my house, in my teen years.

I lost most of my Iron Maiden Posters to water damage. ☹

The lightning struck above my bedroom!!

It didn't hit you on the tip of your wiener, did it? :lol:

Just hacking on you. ;)

I knew a dude that got his turned into a nub from a motorcycle crash, IIRC. Life can be very frustrating for a young man who has been nubbified. He was in a perpetual state of being totally pissed off and doing stupid things like beating all of the windows out of his vehicle, breaking TVs, and on and on. I didn't come around after I realized utter chaos was just a daily thing with him. I would imagine a lightning strike would do a number on the unit.

I would probably be punching out windows and the like myself if all I still had left was a nub. unsure.png  

Anyone here have any luck using Tapatalk on the forum? unsure.png

Edited by Gaddis