I want a damaged antique damascus shotgun barrel. Ideas?

I've had an idea that I forget, then remember. I really don't know where to start looking.

Basically, I know that there must be a gunsmith somewhere who has antique shotgun barrels that have failed. I want to take one or even a piece of one and make my wedding ring from it. I don't want to hack up an antique barrel from a firearm that is safe and sound. I'm looking for a barrel that is unsafe to shoot, on a gun without particular antique value.

Does anyone have a good contact for me to start with?

Kind of out of the box thinking but...

Does your area do any of those silly gun turn in buy back events with local PD.

Might contact them if they do and ask if you can have/buy/donate to the FOP and get a barrel to cut up.

The tough part will be forming the steel in the correct ring sizes, and then cutting and welding with a joint fine enough not to be conspicuous in the finished product. Did a quick search for stock from gunsmiths, and didn't find any. However, was able to locate scrap stock from a knife maker which looks like it would work perfectly for wedding bands. Blanks are 1" x 3" including blade cutout, and enough margin on either side for a set of wedding bands from each blank. 

This stuff will be a bitch to bend, but the price is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pound-Random-Assortment-Various-Pattern-Scrap-Damascus-High-Carbon-Steel-Knife-/381475709122

• Like 1

The tough part will be forming the steel in the correct ring sizes, and then cutting and welding with a joint fine enough not to be conspicuous in the finished product. Did a quick search for stock from gunsmiths, and didn't find any. However, was able to locate scrap stock from a knife maker which looks like it would work perfectly for wedding bands. Blanks are 1" x 3" including blade cutout, and enough margin on either side for a set of wedding bands from each blank. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pound-Random-Assortment-Various-Pattern-Scrap-Damascus-High-Carbon-Steel-Knife-/381475709122

Not as tough for me. I have little girly hands, and  ring gauges and a ring mandrel. 20 ga cyl bore is pretty close to perfect for me, as is the full choked portion of 12 ga.  For standard 12 ga, I would make a thin ring of silver, heat the steel and interferance fit them, or possibly solder on a liner, chuck it into a lathe spud and hone the i.d. up to my size and profile.

Kind of out of the box thinking but...

Does your area do any of those silly gun turn in buy back events with local PD.

Might contact them if they do and ask if you can have/buy/donate to the FOP and get a barrel to cut up.

No. We don't have a stupid PD like that. They aren't perfect, but our local LE is fairly pro 2A. Fortunately.

That will need to be coated to limit corrosion. The Damascus barrels are porous as hell and rust deeply between the separate layers.

I know. I would probably wax it periodically as a sealer or use a urethane type stuff. There are options.

Fit it tight and have it laser welded with no filler.

I could see cut and tig, with no fill, then turn it on a lathe to sand out the weld. then use a spud for the i.d. Laser is way outside of what I have access to.

Worst case, I get a boring ring and do one later. Also I have a friend who is a professional blade smith, that I could probably get to do me a lump ingot. I have no doubt that I could turn the lump down into a ring that I would like. Come to think of it there is a world class damascus expert in the next town over that I've met too. He's a friend of a friend. I would do that before getting random scraps off of ebay.

I like the idea of the Venn diagram intersecton of a few of my interests: Making stuff myself >history > Damascus> shotguns > Silver >

If I have to compromise on a ring to get by, then I can just get any old damascus ring for now. I know there is a good chance that I will ruin anything I wear, so at best any ring is a temporary trinket. I'd like it to be cool and never lose or ruin it, but that doesn't seem very realistic. If I have the barrel, I can make a few, and maybe alter the design with each itteration.

Another element I've wanted to add for years would be a bit of shakudo. I haven't really been able to find any good source for it or informaton on how to work with it and get good results, so that will probably have to be for a later version, or perhaps a later improvement to my ring.

One other option GF may be to just post a WTB on Gunbroker, Armslist, and as many gun trading forums that you can find with the same request you posted here. Worse case scenario, you hear crickets back, but you may just get lucky.

• Like 2

Try some of the smaller and rural pawn shops. They usually have an old Damascus shotty or two, sometimes with bent or bulged barrels to sell cheaply as wall hangers.

I can think of one local that might be worth checking out.

Gun shows are going to cut into my rapidly dwindling supply of Saturdays before the wedding. Might work for an eventual ring, but probably not for one in the next 76 or so days.

One other option GF may be to just post a WTB on Gunbroker, Armslist, and as many gun trading forums that you can find with the same request you posted here. Worse case scenario, you hear crickets back, but you may just get lucky.

I didn't know you could do a WTB on gunbroker.

Try some of the smaller and rural pawn shops. They usually have an old Damascus shotty or two, sometimes with bent or bulged barrels to sell cheaply as wall hangers.

I can think of one local that might be worth checking out.

Gun shows are going to cut into my rapidly dwindling supply of Saturdays before the wedding. Might work for an eventual ring, but probably not for one in the next 76 or so days.

I didn't know you could do a WTB on gunbroker.

The ring is just a symbol. It's what you say before God (and the State, if she wants half your shit later) that counts.

Here's my deal. I don't like stuff on my hands, so if I'm going to wear a ring, it should be one I like that matches who I am. I will almost certainly scratch it up on carbide or worse. Probably lose it too.

When that happens I can make another to match who I am then. I'll do my best and not get overly attatched to the symbol aspect. One of the perks of having a barrel is that I could make iterative versions with improvements or small changes.

I got her 3 rings, and plan to keep getting her more. Then she can avoid excessive sentimental attachment to any one of them, and can match the ring to her mood, clothes, or relative puffiness. Plus I get to do cool things for her, which I like. I managed to get two very nice antique rings for about the cost of the metal in them, and I expect I will find other neat things in the future.

Makes sense. The Wife and I have plain Gold bands. She would be upset if I ever spent big $$$ on a ring. It is just a symbol - the SENTIMENT is is in the fact that we wear one, NOT in what the damn thing is made of. I like the idea of making one out of what is relevant to YOU!

I've had an idea that I forget, then remember. I really don't know where to start looking.

Basically, I know that there must be a gunsmith somewhere who has antique shotgun barrels that have failed. I want to take one or even a piece of one and make my wedding ring from it. I don't want to hack up an antique barrel from a firearm that is safe and sound. I'm looking for a barrel that is unsafe to shoot, on a gun without particular antique value.

I might be able to be of some help with the Damascus twist barrel, if you still would like one. I know a guy that currently has what I believe is a 20 gauge side by side he said it is to old to be legally considered a firearm. He was considering just cutting it up and tossing it. Send me a message if you are interested, and I'll check with him for you.

I might be able to be of some help with the Damascus twist barrel, if you still would like one. I know a guy that currently has what I believe is a 20 gauge side by side he said it is to old to be legally considered a firearm. He was considering just cutting it up and tossing it. Send me a message if you are interested, and I'll check with him for you.

That would be fantastic. pm sent.

Are you sure you want to start a marriage off with something damaged?

I laughed at that and showed her. She laughed too.

I'm pretty sure they're all damaged. I'm happy to have one who deals with it though. Some hide it, and others make it their identity. I don't need any of them.

• Like 2

Good for her!

Remember, it's not all sunshine and roses. You're going to have problems with each other. Talk them out, and give and take as needed.

I'm on #2, and soon to be single again. ...and a LOT poorer. It takes two to make it work, and no secrets.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm aware. We already are pretty good about talking out disagreements, etc. I know the stakes are currently lower so the pressure is lower now. I also put a lot of work into identifying "obvious" expectations that aren't actually obvious to each other.

Plus everyone we meet on the street wants to hand us a marriage advice book. If reading = preparation we're all set ;)

Some of them are useful, but I hope the sarcasm was clear. I expect work, and I love this woman. I'm in for the lifetime, and I know with her it would be an exciting and productive life. Also I've never been able to really relax outside an Alaskan sauna -- prior to being around her. She's soothing.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Assuming no one here tries to ruin my day, I think I can get a ring or two in my size from this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292173639450?ul_noapp=true

My hands are fairly small for a man, so at ring size 8 to 8.5 I need an i.d. of aprox 20 ga. However, the tight end of full choke 12ga can probably work. The barrel linked is right in between at 16 probably with full choke. If needed, I can solder silver to line the inside and then hone that up.

Would that not turn your finger colors?

I'm not planning to wear a ring that tight ;)

I'll seal it after etching to the desired level. Some people use urethanes, others use waxes. There are ways to flay this feline.

Ill try to remember the name of the brand. ask Tom Cole, he will know. I know what you are looking for. I think the 1920'40 company started with a C i wanna say.....give Tom or Vicki a call, they may have it......

it hurts to ask, but why a BP only barrel? is it personal?

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Ill try to remember the name of the brand. ask Tom Cole, he will know. I know what you are looking for. I think the 1920'40 company started with a C i wanna say.....give Tom or Vicki a call, they may have it......

it hurts to ask, but why a BP only barrel? is it personal?

I'm making a ring. BP only has nothing to do with it, it's the cool twist damascus pattern. Look at the auction link for the one above and zoom in. you'll see why I would want to make a ring. The normal twist pattern looks cool too.