Go through it as if the targets were going to shoot back (calculated, slowly, and try to present yourself to the target only briefly before firing). I would use it as an opportunity to have someone else do all of the setup and breakdown work, train, and not so much a speed shooting competition. Sure, it will piss some people off who want everyone to hurry up so they can shoot, but whatever. Douches will be douches. I have always thought it would be much more interesting if people treated it like they would a real scenario. No one with any tactical sense would stand static centered in a doorway or window for long enough to engage so many targets. I get a laugh out of it.

You can't shoot fast enough to make up for a miss. Take your time. Slow is fast.

Have fun, listen to the R.O., and BE SAFE.

Oh, and steel is usually no jacketed bullets, lead only, no magnums.

• Like 1

You can't shoot fast enough to make up for a miss. Take your time. Slow is fast.

Have fun, listen to the R.O., and BE SAFE.

Oh, and steel is usually no jacketed bullets, lead only, no magnums.

Here, jacket is fine, I'm not sure about the magnums, and up to #6 shot is fine.

We shot greatly reduced power .45 acp range supplied 165 gr wad cutters propelled by "zero grains" of bullseye.  Softest spring sets in my Colt 1911.  Had one wad cutter come back at me at the 15 yard stage and hit me in the baseball cap forehead area.  Funny now.  Not funny then.  Yikes!  A long time ago.  :)

I've been hit by return projectiles and I try to always engage them at an angle as a result of the last time I remember being hit. One hit me in the cheek and it really scared me, right under the glasses. All I could think about is how hard it would be to do both of my jobs with one eye.

• Like 1

...and keep your lips over your teeth. Lips just bleed when hit by bouncebacks from poorly staged targets. Teeth break.

If the targets are properly angled by leaning slightly forward, the bullets will be deflected down into the ground instead of into the crowd.

Also, target surfaces should be smooth, not pockmarked and dinged up by bullet strikes. Pockmarks can cause nasty bouncebacks, some with quite a bit of power. I've been cut more than once at away matches where the club didn't properly place or maintain their steel.

Eyes and ears, always.

• Like 2

Enjoy yourself.

Don't try to shoot as fast as the fast guys.  Take the extra half second to get the hits.  I'm no gunslinger but I consistently finish in the top half of my matches because I get my hits. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice guys.  I greatly appreciate it and plan to take it easy one stage at a time.  I'm in no hurry to earn the respect of anyone in the circle of shooters that will be participating in this event.  It's only for fun and an opportunity to do something a bit outside of my comfort zone when it comes to shooting.  I'm really more interested in watching others and learning from them.

• Like 1

The stuff that they said.

The main goal is to go smooth. That means you need to visualize what you are going to do each stage, then constantly tell yourself to slow down and get a good sight picture before firing. You aren't going to be at the top of the pack, but instead put it in your head that you 'win' the stage if you are doing all the motions in the practiced way, without fumbles. Also, where your feet go makes a bigger difference in scoring than how quickly you pull the trigger. I see fast shooters at the back of the pack, because they shoot fast, take make up shots, and at every station run up, then take a couple unconscious shuffle steps to get themselves situated. Learning to move quick, but end up behind your cover or in your shooting station with your feet pointed at the last target in the string will save you a lot of time.

• Like 1

Sight...Acquire...Fire... Over and over.

Sight: Line up the sights and focus on the front sight.

Acquire: Put the front sight center mass on the target, still focusing on the front sight, not the target.

Fire: squeeze, don't pull the trigger straight to the rear. Feel the trigger bottom out.

Repeat as needed.

Military training works :)

Never went blank, more like a pitbull. Both my son and I had the tendency of sticking to a target until it fell Instead of moving on to an easier one. But hey, we used Ruger SR9c's with cheap Tula ammo in a course that was really set up for pistol caliber carbine. I think we did fine, even if our scores say otherwise.

Never went blank, more like a pitbull. Both my son and I had the tendency of sticking to a target until it fell Instead of moving on to an easier one. But hey, we used Ruger SR9c's with cheap Tula ammo in a course that was really set up for pistol caliber carbine. I think we did fine, even if our scores say otherwise.

Using a genuine carry pistol is a real handicap. Compare your scores to the few others who use really compact pistols and that will give you an idea how well you did. That or compare final ranking match to match. If you start in 27/35 and move up to 15/35, you know you are making real progress.

Using a genuine carry pistol is a real handicap. Compare your scores to the few others who use really compact pistols and that will give you an idea how well you did. That or compare final ranking match to match. If you start in 27/35 and move up to 15/35, you know you are making real progress.

The same goes for the power of the load you're running. Minimum power loads=faster recoil recovery=faster times. Full power loads=more useful training. 

Some do anything to win. We call them gamers. It's not a compliment. Some go to have fun.

• Like 1

That's where different sports and divisions come in. Nothing wrong with gaming if that's what you are there for. It works well to have games that suit gamers, and games that suit simulators/ trainers. IDPA and 2gacme are towards the latter end. IPSC, steel challenge and the like are more gamey. Go do what you want to do, and others can do what they want to do.

FWIW, I enjoy all of the above. I don't have the time or scratch to really compete in anything competitive, but I would have fun at the back of open division, and be in the upper middle of IDPA when I am in practice. Each one is fun for its own thing. 3 gun mixes fun stage design with all the toys I want to play with. 

Frankly, the regional/national type setups but just pistol/shotgun would be the max fun for me.

I'll tell you guys something else. After this match, I've lost a lot of respect for 9mm out of a compact. There were some targets that I hit up to four times without getting them to drop. From yesterday forward, I'm only packing +p ammo in my handgun. I may even consider getting a compact Glock in 45.

I'll tell you guys something else. After this match, I've lost a lot of respect for 9mm out of a compact. There were some targets that I hit up to four times without getting them to drop. From yesterday forward, I'm only packing +p ammo in my handgun. I may even consider getting a compact Glock in 45.

What load were you using?

With the 5.45 running a red dot, I think I could match the AR owners. Saiga 12 should also hold it's own. Tokarev.....nah.

In shooting, yes. In total times you'll be a bit slower due to inherently slower mag changes. Also making the gun safe to ditch it on tables is more of a two hand thing unless you've modified the safety for 1 finger operation.

Also, S12 puts you in open division solidly. If yours is rock and lock, that slows you down considerably. Mostly though you will be competing against people who make very few mistakes or extra movements.

I'd rather use the S12 and lose in open than shoot a shotgun which is less fun though.