CHALLENGE... Identify a .223 Remington powder from description...

So just Before I got laid up, I did some shooting with my savage axis rifle... In .223. Got a cute little 4-32 BSA optic on it... Went shooting up a bunch of reloads that I've had sitting around for umpteen years without any load data with them...just to get them gone. I came across about 20 rounds that gave me wonderful 3/4" groups of 5 shots at 100 yards... So I brought 10 home, unfired to try and reverse engineer what I loaded... Turns out they are a 68 grain BTHP W/cannelure. Pushed by 25 grains of a ball powder. Now...this powder is REALLY a ball powder. Not like blc2,cfe223, or w748 that squishes the powder balls semi flat...it's all really little round balls. Ive looked at all the powder I currently own and use and nothing matched. I know I had some oddball stuff when I got all my equipment, and this would have been loaded around then... MAYBE it's H335... But I'm not positive... I could use any help identifying potential other powers it could be by weight for load, and physical description. I'm thinking I cant rule out all other hodgdon/imr powder because I may have had a few ounces of something odd to use up... But I know it's not H414,blc2,cfe223, or w748. Like I said... MAYBE H335... But could be a totally different brand I normally wouldn't use... What you folks in the reloading world think??? Up to the challenge ??

Indeed so. I'm gonna try and run a few rounds through the chrony later and get some velocities. Hopefully with those, I'll be able to duplicate the load pretty much exact, even if I don't have the original powder.

Just one of those things...when you find the load that really shoots well...you wanna keep tabs on it, and make more. And for these to give me a 3/4" group or a little better at 100 yards, with a $300 dollar rifle...even better!!

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...

Just thought I'd share some info... Not necessarily related to the exact topic thread... But in the past couple years I've updated that same savage axis 223. Put it into a boyds stock, and have been working with it at 200 yards. 

Before and after pics... 

0317211627a.jpg

0107211802.jpg

0107211809.jpg

• Like 1

And... 

How does this 300 dollar rifle which is more a 500 dollar rifle shoot??? 

You tell me...

All are 5 shot groups at 200 yards. 

Sure some aren't this good... But for the most part... THEY ARE consistently this size! I'll take it!!😃😃

0718211234a.jpg

0718211233a.jpg

0718211232.jpg

0620211102.jpg

0620211041.jpg

0614211913a.jpg

• Like 1