Hello:

I've noticed two versions of a Savage 10 .308 rifle. I wonder why they exist and if there is any real difference in accuracy.

Both have 24" barrels. 

The first version has a straight, heavy barrel with a 1:10 twist.

The newer version has a threaded, slightly tapered heavy barrel with 5R rifling and a 1 : 11.25 twist.  

My question is why would the twist rate be changed? Doesn't a faster twist rate stabilize a bullet more and therefore is more accurate?

Just wondering.

Some projectiles may perform better with a slower twist. If I were spending money on a bolt rifle, I'd likely put more weight in it having a detachable box mag than an exact twist. Savage makes a great bolt gun and would be my first choice. Easy to work on too. Some hate the Accutrigger, but it is ok once you get used to it. Whatever the twist rate, you will likely have to try a at least a few different loads before you nail down one that it really loves, no matter the twist rate.

• Like 2

Generally a slower twist rate will not stabilize heavier bullets as well, but can handle bullets lighter and faster than one would normally push. Say a .308 with a 110 gr. bullet will theoretically perform better in the slower twist rate barrel at 3270 fps that a 180 gr. bullet at 2300 fps. 

In smaller calibers such as .223 you'll see twist rates as slow as 1:14" for tiny 40 gr. bullets that are moving so fast they would spin apart from a 1:7" twist rate barrel.

• Like 2

Incidentally, 24" gives you a scosch more velocity, but 18" is going to be a shade more accurate in a 308 generally speaking. Shorter barrel = a proportionally stiffer barrel. 

• Like 1

Start with Federal Gold Medal Match and see how that shoots.

That stuff shoots better than any handload I've worked up in my Savage 308.

My 223 likes my handloads better. Consistently WAY under 1 MOA.

• Like 1

http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/what-and-why-5r-rifling/

I saw this...thought it was informative and interesting...

Hmmm, I guess one can reinvent the wheel, or at least customize it.

Here's a couple more links:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifling_twist_rate.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm