My daughter has been begging for a pet, so I finally bit the bullet and got her a puppy. 2 month old German Shepherd. He's a white coat with black nose. Cute little thing. Not thrilled about having a dog again, but with the violence starting up again in Mexico, and with my neighbor who had the only dog in the immediate area moving away, I figured now was the time.

• Like 7

I doesn't matter that much, really, but is he from a good breeder, or a rescue dog? All my dogs have been rescues from shelters.

Congrats on the new pup! Post up some photos when you can.  :)  What's his name?

Treat him right and you will be friends for life.  A symbiotic relationship?  Two species helping each other?  You now have a new baby!  The more you love your new dog the more he will protect your kid and family.   :)

It is amazing to non dog people that a domesticated 80+ pound former carnivore with lots of violent potential and very big teeth can be expected to guard very precious young children.  Why do we feel comfy with that?

The answer may be that a man-dog relationship is thousands of generations old.  It has become instinctive memory.  Inherited.  This includes both us and the animal.  Domestication cuts both ways.  Congratulations! 

He's actually really good. He's kind of already figured out that he needs to go outside to do his business. My daughter wants to keep him indoors, but not sure how long that will last.

• Like 1

Hair will determine that, shepherds shed.

They have new gizmos for the vacume I wounder if they work.

I was watching a duck hunting show where the owner of the hunting farm had a shepherd that totally put the labs to shame.

Shepherds do hunt.

• Like 1

We have three inside dogs in our small home.

We have a shitzu, a 8lb brindled terrier/chihua mix (my baby), and a 65 lb German Shepard.

The Shepard sounds scary and dislikes other men. The other two act as his alarm system.

I take naps with my arm around my "pocket pitbull" almost daily. I raised him since he was a 2 lb pup and have him on a nap schedule.

He whines and leads me upstairs when he wants to sleep.

God made women and then he made dogs.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

We have three inside dogs in our small home.

We have a shitzu, a 8lb brindled terrier/chihua mix (my baby), and a 65 lb German Shepard.

The Shepard sounds scary and dislikes other men. The other two act as his alarm system.

I take naps with my arm around my "pocket pitbull" almost daily. I raised him since he was a 2 lb pup and have him on a nap schedule.

He whines and leads me upstairs when he wants to sleep.

God made women and then he made dogs.

Hello, Sim_Player

God may have provided dogs to soothe man's soul due to the aggravation women cause......

I've found that having your dogger in the house fosters the "pack mentality" that's natural in dogs.

When your dog feels they're an integral member in "your pack" they will do virtually anything to guard and protect every member of the pack.

Particularly with a natural protector like a GSD, you will have the most dependable alarm and guardian system known to man. They will lay down their life without a thought to protect the pack.

Congrat's on the new family member, DLT!

JMHO....

-Guido in TX

• Like 2

We keep a 60 lb Amstaff in the home. If she has been on a bathroom break she can move about freely. If she has not gone to turtle head city in a while she has to hang in the kennel. She sheds very little as she is inside of  AC at home and at the shop and has very short hair. I'm not sure I would want a longer haired dog in the home, but what kind of flooring is in the home would have a lot to do with it. We have tile everywhere except the bedrooms, so it is pretty easy to control what little bit of shedding she does. Once you bond, whatever sacrifices you make will be worth it.

Dogs crave structure and routine, so an exact routine for certain activities will give the dog confidence. They like to know what is expected if them. For example, my dog only gets a treat when she is in her kennel on her butt with her tail totally still like a statue. I can say "Do you want a treat?" and she is off to the kennel to pose like a statue. The key is realizing that you are really the one who needs the training and consistency and the dog will follow suit. Every regular in the home has to be on the same page so as not to confuse the dog. If there is deviation it will be difficult to train the dog as there is not set structure for the dog to learn. There are a lot of good training videos on youtube and you can learn to avoid confusing the dog with your behaviors. For example, if you do not want the dog to jump up on people, never pet it unless its butt is on the ground and don't make eye contact or reach out to it when it does try to jump up. Dogs greet face to face and the dog thinks you want it to greet you when you look at it and reach out and jumps up as a result of trying to greet you. When you do want to greet, get down there and give a great hug and a belly rub. To condense it, the dogs are smarter than we are as they are always looking for cues from us and pay greater attention to our behaviors than any other human does. Good dogs need a well trained master wink.png When a good dog gets what it craves from a well trained master they will fight to the death to protect the master. When someone new is around my dog looks at me to figure out if it is friend or foe. It is kind of eery knowing how athletic and powerful she is, but she remains friendly if I look happy.

When I got my dog, the only structure she knew was that if she barked she would get shocked or kicked and that there was no set time or day that she would be fed. She was close to death as every bone could be seen and she was very untrusting and timid. Now she looks like a show dog and has extreme confidence. I will be very sad to see her pass as she is indeed my best friend and we spend a lot of time together. She goes everywhere with me except pool jobs. She's coming up on 5 years old, so we have some time and I'm glad for it. I realized how great she is when it hit me that I'd prefer her company to humans. I hope you end up with a great friend like that.

• Like 3

The sweetie in my avatar pic is LuLu, She weighed 40# when I got her (I rescued her from a tiny apartment in D.C.). She was nearly starved to death - if you look at her pic, you can count her ribs, and she looks like a greyhound in that pic! Not anymore! She is a healthy 80# of hunk of burning love!

She is my BFF and constant companion. Never more than 10 feet from me, always ready to play, and the best body guard the wife and I could want! If I am not there, she WILL NOT let a man within 20 feet of the wife! I have never seen any animal so eager to please.Sweetest disposition you could hope for!

• Like 6

So far, almost so good. A few leaky accidents, but sort of starting to get the hang of going outside to do his business. He is a bit stubborn though. Doesn't like or want to be led on the leash.

So far, almost so good. A few leaky accidents, but sort of starting to get the hang of going outside to do his business. He is a bit stubborn though. Doesn't like or want to be led on the leash.

Do not worry about the leash part they have to get out of the PUPPY.

Depending on the breed 5 to 7 months is what we considered the right maturity to start basic obedience with smaller breeds starting at 5.

Shepherds are great dogs to work with and respond quickly to training.

Enroll in a group dog trading class where you are taught to train your dog and give your dog proper social skills for life.

You will also be taught that a dog is not a human. As one of my trainers told me "dogs do not cry" and I replied " but we cry for them".

The most important thing we can do as a dog owner is make sure they know what is expected of them.

Lorie and I picked up this little monster on Tusesday... we got our hands full..

www.facebook.com/Juggernaut.S12/videos/10210074535324863/

• Like 3

I'll say. Looks like he is hitting redline at full terror stage, lol. If he protects as hard as he plays it will be worth it.

I dont think the couch is gonna make it..

Took Bruno to the vet yesterday. The guy told us not to bathe him. To instead use a vacuum cleaner on him to keep him clean and baby powder for odor control. Any of you do this? He also said he's not a pure GSD. Said he's sure grandpa was a malinoise.

Congrats on the new pup DLT. I'll have to ask my daughter (Vet Tech) about the water thing. We adopted a 10wk old Shep/Lab mix back in April, she's approaching 20 weeks now and she's 40lbs and I can't keep this one away from the water to the point where it's almost imposable to water the grass or garden around her. She was a handful at first, she's still full of mischief but things are much easier now. Good luck and watch for worms in the poop, when they're young everything seems to go in the mouth.

Diet= dog oder and bad breath

And remember if you do not already know. They eat there own poop.

When they said it's a dogs life never considered that.

My last dog Tam lived almost 18 years never sick untill I had to put her down.

Last dog I will ever have or train.

My big brother trains all the hunting Labs .

Edited by jerry52

Took Bruno to the vet yesterday. The guy told us not to bathe him. To instead use a vacuum cleaner on him to keep him clean and baby powder for odor control. Any of you do this? He also said he's not a pure GSD. Said he's sure grandpa was a malinoise.

Puppy do not need a lot of washing and as far as not being full shepherd, so what treat it like a shepherd and it will be one..

I'm cool with him being a bit mixed. I think in the long run it's better genetically for dogs not to be a pure breed because it cuts down on inherited disease and predisposition. He's turning out to look really good and showing lots of smarts for a 2 month old dog. I like that he will play a few feet away from us without disturbing anyone, but when its time to be calm, he lies quietly next to our feet. When it's potty time he mumbles to warn, but still can't pick up his I have to urinste signs.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

We hunt labs for pheasants but my brother has trained 3 mixed that were just the best bird dogs.

Rick who was a shepherd lab mix

Max who was a pit lab mix (farts would bring you to tears in the explorer)

And Bear a setter , poodle who knows what hienz 57 mix that was just amazing.

How he got them was when he was looking for a new dog his phillipino wife would go to the pound and get him one to save money..

What are you going to do?

Great dogs, great trainer, great big brother.

• Like 1