Got this Saiga 12C I don't know anything about

Hey guys, I've got this Saiga 12C that I've no idea what kind of value it holds given the import sanctions, availability, yadda yadda. Anyway, it's a factory folder, and from I could gather, most(if not all) were imported for LEO use, however mine lacks the LEO stamp on the left side of the trunnion(I think it was milled off). I've got a few factory 5 round mags for it, and it's in overall great shape; some finish wear in a couple small spots, but the inside looks like it was just hand cycled, I can't find any evidence of it being fired. Is not threaded for a choke, and has the 18'' barrel. I'm planning to keep it like it is, unless I feel the need to have it threaded for a choke.

Anyways, here's a link to the pictures for it:

http://imgur.com/a/Bdu7Y

I can't find any evidence of it being a conversion, no BHO cut in the receiver, proper riveting on rear trunnion, front receiver is marked "18,3", so it's got to be a factory installed barrel.

I don't really know much about Saiga shotguns, but it was either a perfect conversion, or I guess just an odd factory configuration.

I could be mistaken, I am getting old and my memory is not what it once was atleast if I remember correctly haha.

But I believe the 18 is muzzle diameter in millimeters and the 3 is chamber size.

+1

Bore diameter is the 18mm number and 3 is for 3" chamber (or 76mm).

The versions of the 12-c / 12-k used in Eastern Europe had the -433 style magwell and mags which were later OEM for vepr 12s and then cloned.

They had the vent rib as in the IZ108, and white furniture like this: https://www.legionusa.com/white-lower-handguard.html

Also many of the earliest ones didn't have an adjustable gas plug, and a few very early models didn't even have the tappet. Those were just wide open, and only worked with a narrow range of ammo, on the spicier side.

Collectors desire them, but the plain jane Iz109 or iz-433 are much more capable shotguns.

I do like the Iz 108 style rib more than the 109 style pistol sights.

So I've just got a real oddity then. Well, I wish I knew a good value on it, I believe I spent a hair over $1100 for it.

I finally took it out today and it was a ton of fun, cycled everything on setting 1, except Winchester white box, but setting 2 fixed that.

Definitely need to pick up one of those GP recoil pads.

Edited by billytehbob
  • 4 weeks later...

1100 sounds fair to me,  but at end of day its all in what someone will pay...folding veprs are like 1k-1200, so less common saiga is kewler to the right audience...

most folks dont want to talk about value on forums as thats not its main purpose... im not super sure why, but it kinda cheapens the relationship, if you are not an enthusiast like most of us, only looking to cash in, and at our "expense" then we wouldnt really wanna discuss it....feel me?

• Like 1