Hey Guys:

It has occurred to me I can probably put a can on my Savage 10 FCP-K. This version came with a factory muzzle brake that can be screwed off. There are flats for a wrench. I assume I don't need to get some sort of "SR" version of the Savage 10 when I can go ahead and put a can on mine. Just take the muzzle brake off and screw on a can. Then re-zero it. 

So ... who makes good .308 suppressors? Also, who makes good .22 suppressors too? I've heard of Silencerco (?), but I'm sure there are other brands.

I ask simply because I am not familiar with the suppressor market. I'm late to the party. It seems like there are dozens of brands out there and I can't keep them straight. I just want to reduce my gun's noise as much as possible. I don't want a can just for looks. I've been around some rifles where it seems like the can really didn't do much except give a tacti-cool look to the rifle. I've been around others where there really was a noticeable reduction in noise. However, I don't know what brands they were.

By the way, how does one maintain a suppressor?

Thanks and happy 4th of July everybody!

- Squeaky

tromix all the way. tony does phenomiinal work on saigas, but is also an NFA manufacturer with airplane tolerances. you gotta wait, but hes one of the best, if he is still taking orders for that stuff/. If you cant wait, cadiz gun works / tom cole.....your other option is Red Jacket, they do really nice work too, but are on a delay sorta......take your pick

Edited by Ben Vampatella

i like the looks of the sig 762 ti setups .... lightweight, etc....  sico 22 spectre setup is kewl.... and i like supporting them cause they seem like they are "all in",  good marketing, trying to get the news out there that silencers are legal, etc....

i have a swr spectre thats been upgraded to spectre 2 baffles and end caps.... and a 9mm aac evo 9 with better baffles in it.

just do some reading, make your tradeoffs, and order before HPA (maybe?) passes....

they were scheduled (the house of reps) the day that commie asshole shotup the baseball game.  infuriating.... i dont really feel sorry for the congress critters, as they are the ones perpetuating the hate and vitriol pushing folks to do drastic stuff... so basically im just annoyed that my rights have to wait longer to be restored

Look into the Specwar 762. Great price, excellent sound reduction, built like a tank, great mounting system, and a lifetime warranty. SilencerCo is discontinuing the Specwar line in favor of the user-serviceable Saker line, which means the Specwar 762 is very affordable right now (I picked mine up for $585). 

Lots of different makers for .308 cans and .22 cans, but IMO you will not go wrong with Silencerco.  I currently have 3 of their cans, and I could not be happier with them.  The Specwar was mentioned, and it is a good, tough can with great suppression (my brother has one), but it is a legacy can that they got when they bought out SWR, and it doesn't have the sort of modularity that the market demands these days, plus it is a bit heavy.  It does use the ASR mounting system, which Silencerco has been adopting across the board for several of their cans.

The Saker was mentioned, which is a can that I own.  I've only had it to the range a couple times so far, but I am completely pleased with it.  Contrary to what another poster said, it is NOT user serviceable, rather it is a sealed, welded can that cannot be disassembled by the user, which is typical of rifle cans.  A rifle can doesn't really need to be cleaned or serviced because the heat and pressure of firing generally cleans out any build-up you get, unless you do something stupid like shoot cast bullets through it.  I use mine with subsonic 300blk (which is dirty like pistol ammo) a lot, so I try to make sure to fire a few rounds of supersonic afterward to heat the can up and clear out the crud.  One feature of the Saker is that it does have a user-replaceable end cap, in case you get an end cap strike, and they also offer different styles including one with a hole sized for 5.56.

There are two different versions of the Saker out there now, the original one using the MAAD mounting system, and the new Saker ASR.  Original Saker allows you to use mounts from AAC and YHM, along with Silencerco's own Saker Trifecta and ASR systems, along with a couple different direct thread sizes.  The Saker ASR only offers ASR and direct thread, so it is maybe not as good as the original.

The other .30 caliber can from SiCo that you should consider is the Omega...  It uses ASR and direct thread like the new Saker model, but it is much lighter at 14oz compared to 21 IIRC for the Saker.

Pretty much every can maker offers a .22 can, and you have to look at what you want it to do.  Some of them are better on pistols and some are better on rifles, but the most important thing is to be sure you get one that is user serviceable, i.e. it can be disassembled for cleaning because .22 ammo is dirty as hell.  I went with a Silencerco Sparrow for my .22 can even though there are now quieter cans available, because it is still supposed to be the easiest to take apart for cleaning, and it is all stainless steel construction.  It is also built like a tank, is rated for 5.7 and .22 Hornet.  It's maybe a better rifle can than it is a pistol can, but it works fine on my Buckmark.

Edited by Netpackrat

Do you really want direct thread? That kind of paints the can into a corner, as in only using it on 5/8-24 threaded hosts and when the can is not on there you need to put something on it to protect the threads. I would recommend something that has a QD system unless you are ok with spending that much money and waiting all of that time to just use the can on 5/8-24 threaded hosts. With a QD system there is almost always a flash hider, brake, or combination muzzle device that always stays on the weapon and the can will interface directly with it. With most decent QD .30 cal cans you could use the can on multiple caliber and thread hosts. If I were going to buy a .30 can right now I'd probably go with the Silencerco Omega. Lightweight, sounds great, comes with a direct thread mount, comes with an 5/8-24 threaded ASR brake/mount, and muzzle devices can be had in 1/2-28, so you could run that same can on a 5.56 AR if you like. Other .30 can recommendations would be Rugged Surge 762, AAC 762 SD, AAC 762 SDN-6, Griffin Armament Precision Hunter Sportsman, Rugged Surge 762, Silencerco Harvester, and SIG Sauer has some nice lightweight .30 cans too. It really depends on what you require of it. Most people try for a little versatility instead of direct thread. There is a lot out there. Silencershop.com is a great place to start when looking unless you want Silencerco. It is kind of a left field pick, but you might look at the Griffin Optimus as well. It will accommodate from .22 to 9mm in short configuration and rifle calibers up to .300 win Mag in the long configuration. There is a medium length configuration that most people would be running it on a 5.56. It is a little large to be running on a .22, but it will do it. I think it comes with a 1/2-28 booster for pistol use, a QD mount that interfaces with A2 spec muzzle devices, and it comes with a QD brake mount in 5/8-24. The Optimus of on fire right now and not very easy to find in stock for a great price though.      

It is pretty hard for a .22 can to not sound good, so pic one that meets your expectations in regards to user serviceability or not, weight, length, and price. Weight and length may not be significant factors to you if you are not just going to run it on a pistol.

ETA: If you plan to use the .22 can regularly then definitely get one you can take apart.

As far as cleaning goes, the correct processes and frequency of cleaning is going to depend on what you get, how hard you run it, and what you are running it on. When you buy a can, contact the manufacturer for recommendations, see if they have any info about it on their site, or read the manual if it comes with one.

tromix all the way. tony does phenomiinal work on saigas, but is also an NFA manufacturer with airplane tolerances. you gotta wait, but hes one of the best, if he is still taking orders for that stuff/. If you cant wait, cadiz gun works / tom cole.....your other option is Red Jacket, they do really nice work too, but are on a delay sorta......take your pick

You have got to be shitting...  With a glut of silencers currently on the market, silencer manufacturers laying off workforce, and practically begging people to buy their cans at deep discounts, attempting to buy a can from a company known for building shotguns and not silencers, and notorious for long waits is completely insane.  Current wait time for ATF to process a Form 4 is over 11 months, so waiting for the manufacturer to build one on top of that is stupid when it is a buyer's market from companies that actually build cans for a living.  I think some of them are even offering to pay the $200 tax just to move the product.  Too many people (myself included) bought all of their cans prior to the 41F deadline, and then too many others are holding off hoping that the HPA passes.  Result is the can makers are going begging.

And Red Jacket?  Besides the fact that they don't even exist anymore, their cans were a laughing stock of NFA forums for years.

• Like 1

Also I would stay away from AAC's rifle cans...  I bought an SDN-6 a couple years ago as my first can, and it worked out so well that I bought the Saker for the exact same role last year.  The AAC can itself is OK and has good suppression, but the 51T mounting system is total garbage.  The mounts are not consistently made and if you get one that your can locks up tightly on, it is the luck of the draw.  Also the fit quality changes over time as you shoot it, so what was once my best fitting muzzle device on my .308 Saiga is now loose, which came with a decrease in accuracy and big POI shift.   The Saker with Silencerco's 51T MAAD unit actually locks up better on the AAC muzzle devices than AAC's own can does.  At this point I have exactly one rifle and 51T mount that the SDN-6 locks up tightly on, so it's basically a dedicated can for that rifle now (might as well have gone direct thread at that point), and everything else gets the Saker.

I recommend buying an alignment rod like the ones Geissele or CNC Warrior sell.  I have the Geissele unit and I am pretty sure it has saved my cans a couple times now.  Most recently from a defective AAC muzzle device.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

Also I would stay away from AAC's rifle cans...  I bought an SDN-6 a couple years ago as my first can, and it worked out so well that I bought the Saker for the exact same role last year.  The AAC can itself is OK and has good suppression, but the 51T mounting system is total garbage.  The mounts are not consistently made and if you get one that your can locks up tightly on, it is the luck of the draw.  

I recommend buying an alignment rod like the ones Geissele or CNC Warrior sell.  I have the Geissele unit and I am pretty sure it has saved my cans a couple times now.  Most recently from a defective AAC muzzle device.

My buddy just bought an M4-2000 after I tried to steer him away from it for that very reason. Guess we'll have to wait and see if he lucked out with a solid lockup.

Also, +1 to the CNC Warrior alignment rod. I got it on sale for like $20 and it's worked like a charm on two cans. 

My buddy just bought an M4-2000 after I tried to steer him away from it for that very reason. Guess we'll have to wait and see if he lucked out with a solid lockup.

Also, +1 to the CNC Warrior alignment rod. I got it on sale for like $20 and it's worked like a charm on two cans. 

I wish I had listened to everyone who tried to steer me away from AAC and towards the Saker in the first place.

Elite Iron at one time went to the time and expense of scientifically testing the sound reduction of their cans.  Empirical repeatable experiments.  Something at the time the other manufactures did not do?  I do not know if competitors went to that trouble or if they have done so today.

I got an E-mail from Elite Iron.  Monday, 3 July, 2017.  They will reduce the price $200 bucks?  Seems like all the Can makers right now are feeling a real slow down in business.  Now may be the time to buy what ever can you want.  Elite Iron also does precision barrel threading.

A big problem with testing cans as I understand it, is the repeatability...  There are just a lot of variables involved, so even using the correct calibrated meter per one of the "official" testing methodologies (there's more than one), the prevailing atmospheric conditions at the time of testing are a big factor, along with the caliber and loads used, etc.  All of the can makers that conduct decibel meter testing are going to do so in a way that shows their own cans to best advantage, so you have to take it all with a grain of salt.  Then there is the matter of tone; regardless of what the meter might say, some cans will simply sound better to some users than others.

For that matter, this forum isn't really the best place to get silencer advice.  There is a lot of detailed info on different cans at places like silencertalk.com.

Maybe.  Go to the Elite Iron site and all will be reveled.  Attitude.  Barometric pressure.   Temp.  Humidity.  Distance.  Type of calibrated certified sound gadgets.  Methodology.  We right now are looking at, (but quite yet afford) their new 7.62x51 specific "Battle Dog" moderator.

Several years ago they also said custom cans might be doable.  At that time we had a SBR M2 Carbine project in the works.  Got canceled due to lack of bucks.  And again right now they are reducing their prices $200 bucks which makes us want to reconsider.  No money right now?

But Elite Irons stuff is spendy.  Years ago they quoted us $150 bucks just to precision thread a Saiga 7.62x51 barreled receiver.  Might be more now.  Our Elite Iron 6" Echo .22rf cans remain very quiet.  Pop ... thud.  Repeat.  All Oregon, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

There are two different versions of the Saker out there now, the original one using the MAAD mounting system, and the new Saker ASR.  Original Saker allows you to use mounts from AAC and YHM, along with Silencerco's own Saker Trifecta and ASR systems, along with a couple different direct thread sizes.  The Saker ASR only offers ASR and direct thread, so it is maybe not as good as the original.

So, I may have posted some erroneous info here...  When they first announced the Saker ASR, I had gotten the impression that it could only be configured to take ASR or direct thread, but digging a little deeper, it looks as though they still use the MAAD system, but they now ship with the ASR MAAD unit instead of the Saker Trifecta MAAD unit.  Also, it looks like they made the 7.62 version bigger, so it is about the same size as the now-discontinued Specwar.  The new version is obviously intended as a Specwar replacement, and I guess the Omega 300 is filling the role in their lineup that the original Saker 7.62 used to fill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBoKNTVOuHI