Yes it does...unfortunately, mine blew about every gasket it has after the second row.  Hammering them in doesn't take that much longer...just adds time.  That and cutting the nails individually from the belt. :(

Instead of cutting the wires, I saw a guy set the roll down with the points up, then set a pair of pliers over the nail and rap the tip of the pliers with a hammer, and it stripped the wire off the nail just like the gun does it.

Eff that.  When I did my house a couple years ago, I bought a box of plain nails for places I couldn't use the nailer.

My hitachi nailer always ejected the last round in the coil, so normally by the end of a roof I had all the loose nails I needed.. Ridge vents caps always needed 3" hand drives but I use a palm nailer rather than a thumb detector..

I can say without hesitation that some coil roofing nails are way better. Back in 2004-2012 it was bostitch brand nails that had it right. Even nailing old petrified SYP planks the nails went in straight. Off brand nails (grip-rite) SUCK something terrible, they fold over or the head bends over leaving a hole in the shingle instead of flushing out tight.. They did cost something like $20 more a case, but your looking at $40 to $60 more on an entire roof and probably saving three or four hours of stopping to correct the messed up nails. If I recall they had been made in Taiwan rather than China, the quality of the nails was much better, and the coil wires tended to be harder, so normally you could just drop them right in the gun without any fiddling, and they also seemed to be more tolerant of riding in a nail pouch without deforming.

For all hand driven nails MAZE nails are the only brand worth using. https://www.mazenails.com/  They drive in fewer strikes and hold better, they cost 10- 20% more but you save it all and some in labor. You can drive a maze nail through the head of a import nail without it bending over. They are just night and day difference. Anying made in India, Korea or China are made of poorly recycled steel, the only reason they can be cheaper is they are cutting corners in the production method, nail production is almost entirely automated so the labor cost is not a significant factor.

The reason the contractors look to be fighting the job less. Is because they know the little tricks and what brands are good and which ones are problems.

Had an insurance job. My roof replaced. About 9 guys showed up and had my old roof ripped off wood replaced as needed new roof on and everything cleaned up in about 6 hours. And I got a 3500 square foot home. Those guys knew what they were doing.

• Like 3

Thats amazing.  But with that many well seasoned men, no surprise.  I however, have me, myself and I.  So it took me most of 2 weeks (taking a day break here and there).  Tried posting pictures, couldn't get it to work. 

• Like 1

Thats amazing.  But with that many well seasoned men, no surprise.  I however, have me, myself and I.  So it took me most of 2 weeks (taking a day break here and there).  Tried posting pictures, couldn't get it to work. 

So, if it took 56 man hours for Akmonte's roof with experienced workers, you didn't do too bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.  Why ANYONE in Texas would build a home without a patio cover, I will never understand.  I am in dead-loss mode right now, trying to save my grass and bushes.  This is our 5th day of over 100 degree whether with no rain (where I live anyways) and it is taking a toll on the grass.  But trying to keep those stupid high water bills down to a manageable lever, is I fear a hopeless cause.  Good God, were not even into August yet.  Bye, bye grass.....

Shit, we never even had anything that remotely resembled grass in the yard that time we lived in El Paso (Ft. Bliss). horror.gif

It was like living on the surface of Mars. :eek:

Not having any humidity to contend with was kinda nice though. :up:

Do the Cicadas all start chirping there as a group (at around 6:00 p.m. (if I remember correctly? :unsure: ) ) like they do most every night in El Paso?  You could almost set your watch by the little bastards. :lol:

Thank you.  Yeah, the cicadas still come on, but they have been relatively quiet of late.  Just too damn hot.  As for the grass, its a battle.  May and June, my grass was perfect. Now, where it gets sunlight all day, it is dying or is already dead.  I am just trying to save what I can....it will grow back, but my bushes and trees, not going to loose them.  This winter, if you call it that, I lost 5 large bushes/shrubs because it dipped down to around 28 or so for a few consecutive days, and that did it.  During spring, when we replanted our shrubs, I made damn sure to buy stuff that was freeze tolerant. 

My buddy lived in 29 Palms, and I thought he was joking about having to rake the yard.  Nope, he wasn't.  He had to rake the sand to make it look nice (base housing).  Screw that.