Hope all had a happy 4th of July!  I have been building a covered patio for about 2 months now.  After work and on the weekends.  Its about 500 square feet, maybe a little bigger.  The concrete slab was already poured by the previous owners. Building the frame, was pretty much the easy part.  I have been off since last Thursday, so I could sheath and shingle the roof.  I have officially had my @ass kicked every which way possible!  From carrying the sheets of 4x8 osb to the back, and the 4 squares of shingles, the #30 felt paper (tar paper), flashing, cutting, smashing my fingers, holy crap batman!  I'm only 54 years old, but I feel like I am well past that.  But I will also admit, it is July here in San Antonio, and the Devil himself cannot be found here because of the heat!  My roofing nailer blew about every possible gasket it has, so me and the Mrs. cut the remaining coiled nails and have been using them, which isn't a big deal, just a little more time consuming.

So, HATS OFF TO YOU ROOFERS!  What a tough damn job!  How you do it, on a day to day basis, I can't even guess. 

Off to take my 800 Motrin and get ready for the remainder of hell day....smile.gif 

Why did I do it myself?  Because I had 3 estimates to build my covered patio, none were as nice as I ended up building, and all were between $12K-$15K!  I think when I am done, I will have spent around $2K.  But I understand why people pay....

• Like 4

I installed roofing when I was in my late teens. You're right. It's hard, hot, dirty, dangerous work. It sucks. Shitty pay too.

Just thinking about it make me glad I joined the Army and learned another skill. 

I helped some friends of mine replace shingles on 3 or 4 houses back when we were in our 20's. Full strip shingles and paper, replace wood as-needed, and lay down the new paper and shingles. Would not want to try it now! At 53 yrs. old with a mild heart condition, I have to take a break just mowing the lawn, and triple-H weather just kicks my arse.

I hear ya, ...21. Ass kicked.

I had a major project last summer. New entry deck and stairs on the front of the house. Of course, when I tore the old deck off and peeled off the siding to flash I found the entire front load-bearing wall and double rim joist had to be replaced due to poor flashing 30 years ago and the water damage resulting from that. There was literally nothing holding the wall to the footing except rot.  All invisible because vinyl siding. There was not even any house wrap under it. So glad I have the skills and ability to do the work myself, but like you said, I felt pain. 

Side note: Is the picture uploader ever going to work again?

• Like 1

Why did I do it myself?  Because I had 3 estimates to build my covered patio, none were as nice as I ended up building, and all were between $12K-$15K!  I think when I am done, I will have spent around $2K.  But I understand why people pay....

Skilled labor costs money. Little projects eat up a lot of time.

Thank you, but if I had the money......

I finished about 85% today, but it was so hot, I couldn't even step on the shingles without possibly damaging them.  That and I swear I was singing with Elvis and Nixon, at the same time!  

When we started this, I told my wife, I will do this One time, One time only.  That is probably the truest statement I have ever made.

Taking the night off and we are all going to go see Despicable Me 3 in a nice, AIR CONDITIONED Theater!

The roof can wait, not suppose to rain for another 2 weeks or so.  Yeah!

• Like 2

God bless the poor bastards that do tar roofs in July and  August!

Pouring hot road tar in those months is pretty far up on the suck scale too. 016.gif

Yeah, you can fall off a roof to a lifetime of paralysis (or even death), but I never heard of a roofer getting hit by a car while up on said roof by someone busy texting or getting a driver's seat hummer in a 1,500+ lb. vehicle and not seeing the orange safety cones. 015.gifsick.gif010.gif

Edited by Gaddis

Lightning hit our home a few weeks ago and blew a hole right through the roof as well as took out nearly every luxury except the AC and the coffee maker. I decided to repair the roof myself as I have done some roofing before and I have a hard time trusting the half-assed pill-headed workforce around here. If you want it done right, well... you know the rest. The hole was in a really odd spot right over all of the main HVAC ductwork, so I had to build a platform over it to be able to work on the wood repair. After about 2 hours in the attic, my hands started to shake and I became concerned that if I did not hurry I would be in some trouble up there. I'm pretty used to the heat working in the field on occasion for my pool company, so I knew if I was concerned it was serious. It felt a lot like being in the 1 Main Engine room on the Saratoga while the boiler was still running (130ish, maybe 140 or so). I got all of the wood work finished and going out on the roof to patch felt and replace 4 shingles was like a picnic. It was still hot, but nothing like it was in the attic. I'd do it again, but I'd rather not.

Not saying it "can't" happen, though...  horror.gif

_66596581_car.jpg

I drive carefully to begin with, but especially in work zones and around EMS personnel. I use my 4-ways, too, which is why I strongly prefer yellow turn signals on all 4 corners of vehicles! They show up much better in bad weather AND people will see all the brake lights at the same time.

• Like 3

Not saying it "can't" happen, though...  horror.gif

I drive carefully to begin with, but especially in work zones and around EMS personnel. I use my 4-ways, too, which is why I strongly prefer yellow turn signals on all 4 corners of vehicles! They show up much better in bad weather AND people will see all the brake lights at the same time.

Just so you know in most states that is not allowed unless your car is disabled and stopped.

I get a chuckle when I see people from out of the area with four ways on in the rain.. Apparently a daily occurance is a terrifying hazard to them.. It rains bucketfuls everyday in Florida and just because you can't see the road is no excuse to be doing under 80, plus its not like you're going to prolong your life anyway, you're just going to get shot for looking at someone wrong at the gas station or beaten to death for an Xbox.. Just get on with it.

• Like 1

Anybody tries to convince you to roof your own house and save money, you don't say a word.  Just kick that asshole right in the balls.

I re-roofed my old house 2 years ago mostly by myself (my brother helped a little with the garage portion after I had already done the whole house!) and it really took a lot out of me.  When it is time to re-roof this house...   Fuck that noise, I am going to pay somebody to do it.  I'm in the middle of building a new shed right now, and will hopefully get the roof completed tomorrow.  180 square foot roof which is about my limit now.  Plus being new there is no old roof to peel off and dispose of.  I think that was the worst part.

Edited by Netpackrat

I've done 4 roofs when i was between 12 and 14. If i ever do another it will be with steel not shingles. Once and done never to have to do again, plus it can now be quieter with steel depending on the install choice.

I have done many roofs, last house we did the roof as a family project. This house I had a commercial aluminum roof put on, with a 50 year warranty.

I hope to NEVER have to shingle anything bigger than a dog house ever again. I put a metal roof on the water shed - may do one on the doghouse too!

Roofing. My first real job when I was 15. Did it for 3 summers. Humped 90lb bundles of shingles up ladders when they couldn't get the conveyor close enough, tore off countless roofs in some sweltering heat.

I remember one house had 5 layers of shingles on it. That was awful work but it was at least shaded by the surrounding trees.

Saved up enough money to buy my first car.

Don't want anything to do with it again.

I agree on the steel roof. When mine needs done, that's what I'm going with. They look good, they are lighter per square foot and they should last a long time.

Everything can be patched or repaired, I wouldn't let that worry stop my purchase.

Roofing is labor intensive. But no other job has the view that you get atop a building. I've done tear off of shake shingles, asphalt shingles and installed many types of materials including single ply membranes, think swimming pool covering your roof, that gets seamed with a heat gun, 1100 degrees or so.

Also done a bunch of tile roofing, think big jigsaw puzzle...this is by far the best material to use.

The most exciting and grueling is pitch and gravel tear-off down to the decking, oh joy. Then layout and torch-on of modified bitumen using a propane torch that makes weed torches look like bic lighters...I did this work for years in Hawaii through summer heat and humidity and i do miss the brutality of it!

Now i am living in las vegas and looking to pick up some of this type of work here where its a dry heat...

Roofing is labor intensive. But no other job has the view that you get atop a building. I've done tear off of shake shingles, asphalt shingles and installed many types of materials including single ply membranes, think swimming pool covering your roof, that gets seamed with a heat gun, 1100 degrees or so.

Also done a bunch of tile roofing, think big jigsaw puzzle...this is by far the best material to use.

The most exciting and grueling is pitch and gravel tear-off down to the decking, oh joy. Then layout and torch-on of modified bitumen using a propane torch that makes weed torches look like bic lighters...I did this work for years in Hawaii through summer heat and humidity and i do miss the brutality of it!

Now i am living in las vegas and looking to pick up some of this type of work here where its a dry heat...

And all this time, I thought Ben was the forum loon....

• Like 1

And all this time, I thought Ben was the forum loon....

I hear the same from my inlaws now that they snowbird down to az, but its a dry heat. Rofl.

• Like 1

Appropriate timing on this thread given what I have been doing for the last week or so.  Finished the roof structure on my shed yesterday, was going to start with the felt and shingles last night but it looked like rain so I tarped it over instead.  Today looks like decent weather, so as soon as I get some caffeine and advil into my system and drag my ass back outside, that's what I will be doing.

930shed1.jpg

• Like 3

Appropriate timing on this thread given what I have been doing for the last week or so.  Finished the roof structure on my shed yesterday, was going to start with the felt and shingles last night but it looked like rain so I tarped it over instead.  Today looks like decent weather, so as soon as I get some caffeine and advil into my system and drag my ass back outside, that's what I will be doing.

930shed1.jpg

Looks good. I re-roofed my garden shed a couple moths ago. Early morning is best. You'll burn your ass (really) on those shingles.

#$*^&%%#^$&*  Ran out of felt (using up stuff left over from doing the house a couple years ago).  Wife has to go to dentist soon, so it looks as though I will be dragging the kids to Lowes with me to get another roll.  Plus I am going to have another partial roll left over again.  #$*^%&%^$