Hello:

I want to share how I met a one of our nation's heroes today. A new patient at my hospital is a former B-17 crewmember. He said he was with the 303rd Bomb Group out of England. Man ... this guy saw a lot of action in the air. He actually fired .50 caliber guns at Luftwaffe fighters. Of course, it wasn't fun having them shooting back at you. He literally kicked hung bombs out, and experienced belly landings too. It was a miracle he was never wounded, but came awfully close many times. Of course, he saw many who weren't as lucky. He said he'll never forget seeing bullet holes and 20mm shell holes in his plane. Flak still makes him nervous. It bugged him to learn many flak towers still exist.

He really appreciated me taking the time to talk with him. He was surprised someone knew what a B-17 was and what the various crew positions were. My having taken a ride in a B-24 once broke the ice.

He's in his nineties and I fear he's probably the last W.W.II air war vet I'll ever meet. There was well deserved pride in his eyes. Our chat made his day despite being in a hospital.

I told the nurses to pay extra attention to him.

• Like 11
  • 2 weeks later...

I met a WW2 Navy Vet, in a bookstore isle, 20 years ago. He pointed out some deceased friends on a book cover. We parted company and then I went back and thanked him. He snapped me a teary-eyed salute, did an about-face and, walked away without saying a word.

I understand how he felt now. I do not want to be thanked for serving my country.

Edited by Sim_Player

Dad worked in the Naval Gun Factory, Wash, D.C. he made 16" gun barrels and the bomb casings for Fat Man and Little  Boy.                             

• Like 2