Multiple Failures to Feed

Slowly but surely ironing out the issues with my IZ-433, went to try out my new steel 10 round mags from CSSpec and whilst it was ejecting the spent shells hard enough to make my PTR91 jealous the BHO kept engaging, sometimes on every round.

Hoping its just a new magazine issue but I'm wondering if there might be other problems.

If it doesn't do that with other mags that you previously used, I'd say it's the steel mags. It's hard to pinpoint on the information give. Do the steel mags fit tighter or looser? Is there enough play that the mag will rise far enough with recoil to engage the BHO? That's were I'd look first.

If it doesn't do that with other mags that you previously used, I'd say it's the steel mags. It's hard to pinpoint on the information give. Do the steel mags fit tighter or looser? Is there enough play that the mag will rise far enough with recoil to engage the BHO? That's were I'd look first.

I had them fitted but they do seem a bit harder to put in than the 4 rounder that came with it. That might be because I'm not used to curved magazines yet, though.

Tweaked LRBHO lever.

Most likely this. The saiga-433 is not exactly a Vepr-12. Odds are backs of the rims are catching the tip of the LRBHO lever, it probably needs to be tweaked toward the ejector block just a little bit.

The other option is the lever is rubbing on the inside back of the magazine.

• Like 2

If the LRBHO lever is tweaked you will need to remove it and bend the end of it a little (the part that looks a bit like a bird beak) as it may be bent upward slightly from catching on shells while you are trying to insert a loaded mag.

With the carrier out and the receiver cover hinged open, insert an unloaded mag and get a decent picture looking straight down from the top of the weapon. Maybe one of us can be able to tell what is going on.

• Like 1

I found that you can install the BCG in a vepr and use it to suport the BHO and tweak the lever backwards while in the gun using the carrier as the anvil, and a flat point punch through the magwell. A couple taps at the correct angle can do the job without removing that bugger.

It helps to have shells in the mag as a point of reference, and compare different mags. SGM mags have the rims about 4 mm rearward of the factory mags. Not sure where the CSSpecs mags present the rim.

In your picture, it almost looks like the lever is sticking between the follower and the mag body, but I can't quite tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this, with the magazine in the gun and the gun field stripped. Push the shell down with your finger as close to the rim as possible and applying a slight rearward force, you want to push it until it is below the bottom tip of the last round bolt hold lever.. Now let it rise slowly and see if it snags the last round bolt hold.

You need to check a couple types of shells and at full and nearly empty capacity.

Once you have an idea of if it is catching at how much, a couple light taps to the tip of the lrbho lever will often correct it.. Be aware that there are NO replacement levers so proceed with caution. It does appear that the tip of the LRBHO is not bent to 90 degrees and is slightly open causing it to go further into the magazine.

Edited by csspecs

Looks like the hammer has struck the ejector block and some displaced material may be binding the BHO. Does manual BHO button move freely? Looks a bit tight there.

ETA: Nevermind. I think I may be wrong about that. Longs days lately at both companies and I am exhausted. Check manual BHO operation, just to be sure.

post-22401-0-33277200-1501557542.jpg

Pic is not real clear, but...   isn't the rim of the shell too far forward? When you load a mag, do you smack the back of it on something to make sure that the brass is all the way back?

Pic is not real clear, but...   isn't the rim of the shell too far forward? When you load a mag, do you smack the back of it on something to make sure that the brass is all the way back?

I never have, maybe I've just been incredibly lucky [or it explains all the previous stove pipes I blamed on red dots and gas pucks].

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp, I took it to my local smith since I didn't want to try bending stuff myself. It works perfect now, though he says the lever wasn't bent but it was dirty and needed more lube. Last time I went to the range it wouldn't even chamber a round/go into battery so I have no idea what on it could've been THAT dirty after I field stripped it and cleaned the barrel and receiver.