Many GOOD men DIDN'T come back from 'Nam. McStain did. How many died because he rolled over? We'll never know.

Much as I dislike the man, I am not sure it is fair to blame him for what he may or may not have said under torture.  As I understand the US Military Code of Conduct, you are required to resist to the best of your ability.  I'm pretty sure that if I were subjected to what he was, I would have said anything they wanted me to.

Beginning in August 1968, McCain was subjected to a program of severe torture. He was bound and beaten every two hours; this punishment occurred at the same time that he was suffering from dysentery.  Further injuries led McCain to attempt suicide, which was stopped by guards. Eventually, McCain made an anti-American propaganda "confession". He has always felt that his statement was dishonorable, but as he later wrote, "I had learned what we all learned over there: every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine." Many American POWs were tortured and maltreated in order to extract "confessions" and propaganda statements; virtually all of them eventually yielded something to their captors. McCain received two to three beatings weekly because of his continued refusal to sign additional statements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

134 sailor killed because he wet started his plane in 1967 Not a fan of this guy, he should have been charged.

As much as the military try's to prepare people who fly as to what to expect if they are captured, it will never be enough . Resisting tortuous actions with out breaking comes not to all but a small

Not sure.  Those were just two articles that came up when I did a search; I posted them for background and I don't personally have any opinion on whether it was McCain's fault or not.  My opinion is t

So you believe everything you read on the internet,  that makes sense.   You don't have to prove anything to me, your soured words speak volumes.

I'm through playing.

Go play with yourself.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

As much as the military try's to prepare people who fly as to what to expect if they are captured, it will never be enough .

Resisting tortuous actions with out breaking comes not to all but a small group of people.

Remember that the reason they use torture is because it works.

Dying a quick death in war is the novices fantasy . The reality of war is there is some quick death but way more pain and suffering that can last a life time.

To me the biggest torture of them all is going through all this and have it mean nothing and then be treated like scum or forgotten by you're own country.

Our country and its politicians must stop thinking of the men and women in the armed forces as cannon fodder. They must remember if they are going to place them into harms way there must be a good reason and a path to succeed.

As a Senator I think McCain forgot some of this. I do not remember him speaking out about it much.

In fact I disagree with his views on water boarding to the extreme .

An eye for an eye Senator McCain an eye for an eye

War is Hell and for many we bring it home forever.

• Like 4

I was reflecting on my decision to vote for mccain in 2008 and it occurred to me that we may have been in worse shape now had he won. I hated barry and everything he stood for, but many needed to get a dose of what the boogie man is really about. They know now. barry sold a lot of guns and woke a lot of people up, so I'm kind of happy wwith mccain losing, especially in light of his behavior over the past few years.

• Like 2

I was reflecting on my decision to vote for mccain in 2008 and it occurred to me that we may have been in worse shape now had he won. I hated barry and everything he stood for, but many needed to get a dose of what the boogie man is really about. They know now. barry sold a lot of guns and woke a lot of people up, so I'm kind of happy wwith mccain losing, especially in light of his behavior over the past few years.

Very well put.