Replacing the AC compressor and the octopus hose assembly assembly on the '99 K-2500 Suburban. ASSHOLE engineering people put a STEEL nut on the hose that goes on the condenser output. That means a steel nut on an aluminum thread - in front of the radiator and exposed to the elements for 18 years! Just to see how good of a mechanic it takes to work on it, the factory over tightened it and 'pulled' the threads. It took 6 cut off wheel in the dremmel tool, heat, penetrating oil and MANY BAD WORDS to get it free. THEN another hour carefully chasing the damaged aluminum threads with a jeweler's file to restore the the damn things to something usable.

The hell of it all, is this is an O ring seal, the damn thing never needed to be more than hand tight!

There, done venting. Sun is too hot to work until later - got that part done - time to drink a beer and have lunch.

I doubt it was by design. Probably some union drone used the wrong part. I've never seen steel on aluminum on the condenser line on ANY of my GMs, or Fords, or VWs. The high school dropout monkey putting it together has no idea why certain materials are used. They only know they have so many to finish by the end of the day. Come ON automation!

Also, dissimilar metals are properly joined all the time if the correct process is used. In fact, it's preferred for certain materials/alloys such as stainless steel to prevent galling.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I doubt it was by design. Probably some union drone used the wrong part. I've never seen steel on aluminum on the condenser line on ANY of my GMs

I think that's unlikely. I did the lines on my 99 suburban. Exact same thing. Real big fun to remove. This is the same brain trust that decided to one quick connect fittings on the oil cooler lines. I routinely curse the engineers that designed that truck.

• Like 1

Standard problem with these. Two dissimilar metals. When we would do a/c compressors on any gm truck from 96-about 04 we'd also sell condenser knowing that the nut or bolt at one of the lines would break tube or rip threads.

Shop ate first one and after that customers were made aware of potential cost increase.

I think you can probably find something to swear at the engineers over, on just about any vehicle you care to name.  Lots of times they know it is going to suck, but making it better would make something else worse.  Part and parcel of complex machinery that is designed, built, operated and maintained by imperfect humans inhabiting in an imperfect world.  At least your Suburban doesn't have to fly.

Yeah, threading steel and aluminum together sucks.  When I rebuilt the transmission for my '59 MGA a couple years ago, I pre-emptively installed helicoils wherever I could.  Better to do it while everything was apart, than to have a 55 year old threaded hole strip out as I torqued it all together.  Or worse, if I had to work on it once the car is back together.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

Everything went back together with a bit of anti-seeze on the threads and compression flange, if I ever need to get back into the system it will be a lot easier! Every other fitting on the octopus hose came apart easily! Gonna vacuum it  today (100F+ Texas heat makes H2o vaporize and vacuum out completely). With any luck we will be chilling some time today!

Everything went back together with a bit of anti-seeze on the threads and compression flange, if I ever need to get back into the system it will be a lot easier! Every other fitting on the octopus hose came apart easily! Gonna vacuum it  today (100F+ Texas heat makes H2o vaporize and vacuum out completely). With any luck we will be chilling some time today!

Anti-Seize is great for dissimilar metals. 

Don't forget to use a bit of it on stainless threads. Prevents galling.

• Like 1

Ain't no hill for a climber GOB, and I get the feeling you've climbed your share of hills through the years. I've been doing this for a fleet for well over 30 years myself and I can tell you without hesitation that 1) They all suck, not just GM, and 2) They're not getting any better or smarter in the way cars are designed when it comes to fixing them. Easy and cheap to build are priority one and two. Plenty of raping going on in the parts department to when things break.

It's not just the auto industry either. You should see some of the ass backwards ways some of the manufacturers in the elevator industry do stuff.

I made my living for 42 years straightening out screwed up elevators! When Haughton came out with the OH machine, I put 6 of them back together before the IDIOT boss let me do all of them from the beginning! I once found the car at the lobby, and the worm gear thrust bearing sticking out of the gear box and held by the last 2 threads of the last bolt !

PS- 'burban is chillin!

It's not just the auto industry either. You should see some of the ass backwards ways some of the manufacturers in the elevator industry do stuff.

I made my living for 42 years straightening out screwed up elevators! When Haughton came out with the OH machine, I put 6 of them back together before the IDIOT boss let me do all of them from the beginning! I once found the car at the lobby, and the worm gear thrust bearing sticking out of the gear box and held by the last 2 threads of the last bolt !PS- 'burban is chillin!

Real men get you to the 40th floor safely.

Thanks for being the best you can be. For most it's just a job and a pay check,getting by by the bare minimum.

But for true profestionals it's to do the best all the time regardless.

I am a hated and resented man because I get called in to correct a persons sloppy minimum effort while still being expected to do my own work.

One more year and it's weekends starting on Wendsday

When you make up your mind to be the best and stay the best you can be, you find over time you have no friends because your to busy fixing their failures or you are always working and have no time for friendships.

When I started in the Elevator trade in '69, there were WW1,WWII,and Korean war vets and men of those ages as well as a few born in the 19th century. It was impressed on me by them that people's LIVES depended on us doing the job RIGHT! I took that to heart. Over the years I worked at many companies, but always worked steady. Bosses hate those who refuse to half step or mickey mouse a job. BUT - there is always steady work for the man who can make it right AFTER the tennis shoe punks have thrown it together and FUCKED IT UP!

• Like 1

Think thats bad, try getting gm to honor there 10yr 100k warranty on the LSx motors that use oil. Oh its less then a qt every 2k miles thats normal, bs.

That's across ALL MFRs...not just GM.

I just overhauled the AC system in my 2001 Sub. I removed the compressor through the wheel well and saved a ton of time. I am absolutely blown away at how cold that AC gets. Makes me want to keep it for another 286k miles ;)

• Like 1

I just overhauled the AC system in my 2001 Sub. I removed the compressor through the wheel well and saved a ton of time. I am absolutely blown away at how cold that AC gets. Makes me want to keep it for another 286k miles wink.png

I had an '02 SIlverado and it was going strong @ over 280K miles. 12 years of road salt and molasses mixture killed it.  Thank you Maryland DOT.

You'll probably be good to at least 500K miles, especially since they don't salt the roads in FL. GM makes a great vehicle.

Edited by patriot

GM does OK on heavy duty vehicles. The 99 Sub is basically a ton truck. The running gear is in great shape,at 217,000 miles. the 7.4 (454) still uses less than a quart of 5W30 oil in 3,000 miles, the 4L80 trans is tight, and the 4x4 works good. The problem with GM is the door handles, window motors and seats are CRAP! Every part is  .05 cents short of what it takes to hold up. That and the paint FALL OFF! My '88 Comanche has better paint!

.5 cents short of what it takes to hold up! Classic!! I'm using that one later today.

Since we are talking reliability, what do you guys consider the best? Call me crazy, but to me the old VW bugs and their engines were great. Not without problems, but damn easy to fix. Same with the old trucks running inline engines.

.5 cents short of what it takes to hold up! Classic!! I'm using that one later today.

Since we are talking reliability, what do you guys consider the best? Call me crazy, but to me the old VW bugs and their engines were great. Not without problems, but damn easy to fix. Same with the old trucks running inline engines.

GM, of course. I've owned many, and the GMs have been the best. Fords the worst.

• Like 1

Check the MSDS on your anti-seize

Many today use graphite, and graphite is corrosive to aluminum. 

The anti-seize can also potentially creep past the threads and contaminate the AC lines.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Think thats bad, try getting gm to honor there 10yr 100k warranty on the LSx motors that use oil. Oh its less then a qt every 2k miles thats normal, bs.

That's across ALL MFRs...not just GM.

Just forced Honda to rebuild the engine in my wife's Accord (60K miles on the car). Burning 1 liter of oil every 1K miles...Tried telling me this is normal.

Check the MSDS on your anti-seize

Many today use graphite, and graphite is corrosive to aluminum. 

The anti-seize can also potentially creep past the threads and contaminate the AC lines.

If the refrigeration lines are under pressure how does the graphite get in?

GM, of course. I've owned many, and the GMs have been the best. Fords the worst.

+1 After two fords (F150 and a Thunderbird) I won't own a Ford again. Stupid Thunderbird drove me nuts. Toyota, GM, older BMW, or I'll pass. I am a big fan of the early 2000's GM 5.3l. Lots of Mustangs on the drag strip with GM LSX junkyard motors, lol. 

Back in the day ...

My brother had about a 1970, (IRS rear end?) VW Baja Bug.  Pretty stock.  He told me in the kitchen he had to change out the clutch.  I though well OK, perhaps I should finish my slow breakfast then go out into the attached garage and perhaps help him.  Would be fun project.

Some time passed.  Found him lying on his back behind the Baja Bug with the engine sitting on his gut and pelvis.  He was sanding the flywheel with emery paper or something.  A furniture moving pad was between him and the entire pulled VW engine!  I watched him work.

He installed the parts, aligned something with some tool, then rotated and BENCH PRESSED the entire engine and put it back into the Bug!  Some sort of big alignment pins, then some big bolts?  Then it took a little time to hook up everything else like cables tin and stuff.

All by himself.  Took little time.  My brother was hunky back then and noway I could have just lifted that entire VW engine up by myself?  He just smiled.  Some adjustments and we went for a ride.  More adjustments.  New clutch.  Back in the day.  VWs were easy to work on.

All true.