Hey Everybody:

I have a week of vacation coming in late August and I want to visit Pikes Peak for the first time. It's a place I've always wanted to visit. I've never been to Colorado and I'm overwhelmed by relevant websites.

I'm not a "granola" type, but I do like tent camping and hiking. I have a tent, a sleeping bag, a Coleman stove, fuel, canteen, a walking stick, and a lantern. Knives too of course. Big Ontario SP models and a K-BAR.

I just thought I'd ask if anyone has recommendations and advice about where to go camping and which trail to take to the summit. I'm in good shape, but I can't run 3 miles in under 20 minutes for the Marine Corps PFT like I used to either. The map shows Pike National Forest nearby. I assume you can camp there. I'd like to see Elk live in person if possible.

The above is my preferred way to do this trip. If I end up getting a hotel room, so be it. Seems like a lot of sites are in Manitou (?). I just want to finally visit Pike's Peak and see some beautiful country.

I really need to get out of town. I'm going to visit the local REI store for possible information.

Thanks guys!

There are a lot of awesome spots in Colorado. Plenty of places to camp and hike and enjoy the mountains. Best advice is pack your gear and go. If one spot doesn't suit you, another one will. Rural areas tend to remain conservative. Big cities tend to cater to snowflakes. Wife and I were up in Denver a few weeks ago, walked into a leftist cafe, and were conspicuously ignored. Quickly found a place right down the street that served better food, and was happy to have our business. 

Avoid Boulder like the plague. 

Have fun Squeaky!

Mike

We drove our own pickup to the summit of Pikes Peak in 1981.  Ran pretty rich by the top.  Carb.  But both of us were in our early 30's and did not need medical O2 at the top.  The tour bus was faster than us.  It had a special Detroit 8V71T engine.

Remember we still may be feeling the aftermath of the Solar Eclipse disaster even WEEKS after the event on 21 August.    Do no underestimate the stupidity of people.  In Western Central Oregon alone they expect 500.000 potential lookie looiers.

You may still may experience shortages.  As an example there may be shortages of gasoline.  Or Motel rooms.  Or even groceries or camp ground spaces.  Also consider after-the-fact land closures due to the Eclipse.  Lots to consider while planning.

Good luck.  We are staying home.