Walking away from a bad situation

This morning, my daughter quit the sport she loved after having been active in it for the last 12 years of her life. New coach this year brought lots of odd ideas and had it out with my wife for requesting a training schedule. The coach said that we as parents had no right to question her authority. Obviously the woman is nuts, and for the sake of our daughter's already fragile self esteem, we gave her the option to switch sports. She did it in a heartbeat. It's sad to walk away from something my baby is so good at (twice a regional finalist), but sometimes you have to pick your battles. I wish the nutcase well, and may God help her.

Ok...for the last month, the team has sat on their rear ends every day during practice. The most that they have been allowed to do is walk half a mile during their morning workout hour. This is/was a swim team. The new coach has been reluctant to let them swim and has provided no reason. Finally, last week she said they were going to swim, but when the kids showed up ready to go, she said no, and went and locked herself in her office. My wife out of frustration tried to find out what is going on and if she had a workout plan/schedule and it triggered the craziness. She actually stormed out and left the building and left the school in an odd situation that day. Then She comes back the next day and pulls that crazy lecture I already mentioned.

• Like 1

Thank you.  Was the coach drafted or did she want the gig?  Was/is she trained and educated to be a swim coach?  I tried out for our High School swim team.  Got cut.  HAD to swim for one hour without stopping.  Could not.  Sobering. 

Maybe this is a case of the Coach just being non prepared or trained or experienced to be the Coach?  If sossss .... can you change schools?  Or can your school change or recruit a proper swim coach?  Yep ... this sucks so many ways.

I just don't understand why the freak out over the training schedule? And after that, she spent an hour telling the kids off. Seriously, I think this fool has no idea the damage she is doing.

Sounds like she is doing a fine job of ensuring she has to find a new job.

I think you nailed it with the coach being unprepared part. Turns out she can't swim and knows nothing about the sport. However, the school doesn't want to replace her because of politics. So just like that a program with with a combined 15 district titles in boys and girls swimming has died. Freaking sad.

• Like 1