Pro football smells like road kill on a hot summer day

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look,  you live in a country that provides the opportunity to compete equally, and capture multi-million dollar contracts in exchange for athletic performance regardless of race, religion,  creed etc.

Other than the Superbowl I haven't watched any regular NFL Football in 2-3 years/ I don't like College Football but I catch it all the time because my In-Laws and younger son are rabid Bama fans.  

I can't see the fascination with watching a bunch of spoiled, ignorant adults getting paid millions to play a child's game.

The ones that have started holding up the black panther fist after sacking a white player have put it into actual perspective for me.

Just reviewed about 50 you tube vids of blacks in the blm or a host of other organizations  calling for the murder of "white babies in the crib" the murder of all whites in general as well as all white police officers.

Its all right there for any who wish to see in their own words.

Pretty easy to see who the REAL racists are.

I googled the list of advertisers on the NFL...I will no longer use their services or products.

NO amount of back tracking , apologies or excuses will EVER change my stance.

IM done with the bunch of them!!

BH 

• Like 1

I stopped watching it a long time ago. Watching football yields nothing positive for me, especially since that knee nonsense.

Want to really make a statement? Get rid of cable. That is where their money really comes from. We have no cable and we have a couple of movie streaming services that end up cheaper than basic cable and have much more to view. We pick exactly what we want to watch when we want it. If you like a college team just go to some of their games with that money you are no longer spending on cable.

It is already happening based on interest and economics. Basically Disney (which owns ESPN) decided that they've hit the threshold to launch their own streaming service. ESPN was subsidized by cable packaging, forcing everyone, even non sports people to pay their royalties. Now that you can choose only the content that you want, Disney/ESPN knows that they could hit about 1/6th of ESPN's revenue MAX based on voluntary view payments or intentional subscriptions. People are fleeing cable for streaming. (You can have netflix, amazon streaming, and hulu for under $50 total, with more content, on demand than all of cable. Youtube etc are more relevant and more local and more live. )

The only reason to carry a cable subscription is habit. Basically you are the type of old guy who has a big screen and cable, and still has a landline, because that's what you do. The second your grand kid sets you up with netflix and explains how to use it a few times, you quit using the clumsy cable on-demand. A month or few later, you don't see the point in your cable bill. Even the oldies are bailing one after the other.

Personally, I've always hated the hype of broadcast sports. Some are fun to play, but it's all like this:

To me one of the most telling events was aprox 2004 when all my sports friends got Madden 200x. It was as obnoxiously loud and boring as real football. The selling point of the game was that the semi randomly generated "color commentary" was indistinguishable from the yelling on a live game. If that doesn't make the real thing seem scripted and trivial, I don't know what can. Nothing says "this moment is important, unlike all similar moments" like the fact that canned recordings connected to an event table seem more sincere than the guys on TV.

• Like 1

Haven't had cable in years. And the economic impact of disrespecting America is starting to cause SEVERE PAIN to the NFL,owners, players and investors are starting to feel the economic PAIN! 

REVOKE THEIR ANTI-TRUST EXEMPTION! 

• Like 1

I stopped watching it a long time ago. Watching football yields nothing positive for me, especially since that knee nonsense.

Want to really make a statement? Get rid of cable. That is where their money really comes from. We have no cable and we have a couple of movie streaming services that end up cheaper than basic cable and have much more to view. We pick exactly what we want to watch when we want it. If you like a college team just go to some of their games with that money you are no longer spending on cable.

The only reason to carry a cable subscription is habit. Basically you are the type of old guy who has a big screen and cable, and still has a landline, because that's what you do. The second your grand kid sets you up with netflix and explains how to use it a few times, you quit using the clumsy cable on-demand. A month or few later, you don't see the point in your cable bill. Even the oldies are bailing one after the other.

You just described my step dad, but you forgot big comfy chair. Same land line phone number since 1978 too ;)

• Like 1

Hockey season started today...

I recently heard that a crazy kid I knew growing up got an NHL job. His pretty sister turned down a full ride scholarship for Olympic hockey to marry a life on LNI loser.

I'm not much for watching a sport, but hockey is very fun to play, even with shoes and street hockey gear. One of my favorite sports to play as a kid. I'm not really good enough on skates to play, but the game is still fun.

edit. I can't find him, so the info must have been incorrect. Probably minors. I know he used to play with the Tri-Cities Americans in WA.

• Like 1

I haven't watched pro football since 77.  Don't miss it bit. I've got much more important things to do with my life. Hell, come to think of it.....I don't watch any professional sports except for the Indianapolis 500.  I'll stop here.....I broke my soapbox yesterday...lol.

• Like 3

++++++

I'd much rather do things myself than say "we won" about a game I am not in.

That said, I'm currently hypocritical, because I'm watching a stranger build a gun from scratch while I work, then a series on load development. Is it better if I will so some of what I watch eventually? I know I won't ever play pro football, but I have now made a few new projectiles and loads from scratch, and a few guns from not quite scratch.

• Like 1

I prefer NASCAR, but like all the other sports, FS1,ESPN and the others have made it financially abhorrent to view their product. 

FUCK THEM ALL.

I used to enjoy the Spectator and Sportsman class races but that was a long time ago and corporate money has pretty much ruined racing.

As it does everything

• Like 2

yep, its still declining,,,, they not gonna admit they pissing off redblooded americans though, theyll lie and say its cause of xxx whatever...

article on drudge saying its dropped snot loads of rating points and other such fluffy number lying fuzzy math stuff..

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-nfl-now-least-liked-sport-core-fans-down-31/article/2636837

Edited by saltydecimator

NFL is boring as hell anyway.  Bunch of grown men running back and forth in capri pants, slapping each other's asses.

If those ungrateful pricks want to entertain us, they can fight each other to the death. THAT I'd watch.

• Like 1

In a previous job I had a customer who was a "facilitator" for a pro sports team. His take on the players? Bunch of spoiled children completely out of control. The world revolves around them. They are the center of their own universe. He had to make things right with hotels when they trashed them, and I mean even major structural damage. He smoothed things over with wives/hid player's cheating from wives. Bailed them out of jail when he couldn't get them out by giving away perks like season tickets. Paid off people who had violent run-ins with the players. Many more things.

These are not good people. Mostly just a bunch of hood rats they throw money at to chase a ball.

They have huge opinions of themselves, and think they are above the law and rules of good behavior in society. 

They think they can say or do anything and we have to think it's great, just because they're pro sports figures.

Fuck 'em all.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 5

In a previous job I had a customer who was a "facilitator" for a pro sports team. His take on the players? Bunch of spoiled children completely out of control. The world revolves around them. They are the center of their own universe. He had to make things right with hotels when they trashed them, and I mean even major structural damage. He smoothed things over with wives/hid player's cheating from wives. Bailed them out of jail when he couldn't get them out by giving away perks like season tickets. Paid off people who had violent run-ins with the players. Many more things.

These are not good people. Mostly just a bunch of hood rats they throw money at to chase a ball.

They have huge opinions of themselves, and think they are above the law and rules of good behavior in society. 

They think they can say or do anything and we have to think it's great, just because they're pro sports figures.

Fuck 'em all.

This is exactly why I am not surprised nor do I have any sympathy when they crash, burn, and go broke. They have so much, financially, to lose and do some of the stupidest things to lose it all. Things that were totally in their control. For example, DUIs. News Bulletin: Idiot, you can afford to have a limo drive you home while you keep getting smashed, don't drive.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

To the NFL

You graduated from high school in 2011, your teenage years were a struggle.  You grew up on the wrong side of the tracks.  Your mother was the leader of the family and worked tirelessly to keep a roof over your head and food on your plate.  Academics were a struggle for you and your grades were mediocre at best. The only thing that made you stand out is you weighed 225 lbs and could run 40 yards in 4.2 seconds while carrying a football.   Your best friend was just like you, except he didn’t play football.  Instead of going to football practice after school, he went to work at McDonalds for minimum wage.  You were recruited by all the big colleges and spent every weekend of your senior year making visits to universities where coaches and boosters tried to convince you their school was best.  They laid out the red carpet for you. Your best friend worked double shifts at Mickey D’s.  College was not an option for him.  On the day you signed with Big State University, your best friend signed paperwork with his Army recruiter.  You went to summer workouts.  He went to basic training.

You spent the next four years living in the athletic dorm, eating at the training table. You spent your Saturdays on the football field, cheered on by adoring fans.  Tutors attended to your every academic need.  You attended class when you felt like it. Sure, you worked hard.  You lifted weights, ran sprints, studied plays, and soon became one of the top football players in the country.  Your best friend was assigned to the 101 st  Airborne Division. While you were in college, he deployed to Iraq once and Afghanistan twice.  He became a Sergeant and led a squad of 19 year old soldiers who grew up just like he did.  He shed his blood in Afghanistan and watched young American's give their lives, limbs, and innocence for the USA. 

You went to the NFL combine and scored off the charts.  You hired an agent and waited for draft day.  You were drafted in the first round and your agent immediately went to work, ensuring that you received the most money possible. You signed for $16 million although you had never played a single down of professional football.  Your best friend re-enlisted in the Army for four more years. As a combat tested sergeant, he will be paid $32,000 per year.

You will drive a Ferrari on the streets of South Beach.  He will ride in the back of a Blackhawk helicopter with 10 other combat loaded soldiers. 

You will sleep at the Ritz.  He will dig a hole in the ground and try to sleep.  You will “make it rain” in the club.  He will pray for rain as the temperature reaches 120 degrees.

On Sunday, you will run into a stadium as tens of thousands of fans cheer and yell your name.  For your best friend, there is little difference between Sunday and any other day of the week.  There are no adoring fans.  There are only people trying to kill him and his soldiers. Every now and then, he and his soldiers leave the front lines and “go to the rear” to rest.  He might be lucky enough to catch an NFL game on TV.  When the National Anthem plays and you take a knee, he will jump to his feet and salute the television.  While you protest the unfairness of life in the United States, he will give thanks to God that he has the honor of defending his great country.

To the players of the NFL:  We are the people who buy your tickets, watch you on TV, and wear your jerseys.  We anxiously wait for Sundays so we can cheer for you and marvel at your athleticism. Although we love to watch you play, we care little about your opinions until you offend us. You have the absolute right to express yourselves, but we have the absolute right to boycott you.  We have tolerated your drug use and DUIs, your domestic violence, and your vulgar displays of wealth.  We should be ashamed for putting our admiration of your physical skills before what is morally right.  But now you have gone too far. You have insulted our flag, our country, our soldiers, our police officers, and our veterans. You are living the American dream, yet you disparage our great country.  I am done with NFL football and encourage all like minded Americans to boycott the NFL as well.

National boycott of the NFL is requested for Sunday, November 12th, Veterans Day Weekend. Boycott all football telecasts, games, pre-and after-shows.

All fans, all ticket holders, stay away from attending any games, let them play to empty stadiums. Pass this post along to all your friends and family. Honor our military, some of whom come home with the American Flag draped over their coffin.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

A border collie can outrun you while carrying a ball on your best day, and his worst.

That border collie has more strength of character than you show, and will protect his charges to the death if necessary.

How does it feel to be outdone BY A DOG?

• Like 3

Whats a NFL?

Seriously interest in that mess seems lower than snail shit in a well.

Good

The ones that don't deserve the heat? well careful who you associate with guys no slack for you either.

Meanwhile Canada still plays some good ball and I am enjoying some Div3 NCAA football.

Seriously better football on Div3 games, kids really want to play.

I've been boycotting it for years, aside from briefly checking scores during a few superbowls. I'm too busy to watch it even if I wanted to. The problem is that there are a lot of people who are hopelessly addicted to watching football and whatever they do while they watch it.

• Like 1

NFL viewership is down 18 points from 2015 at this time of year.

18 points is huge that is advertiser refund territory easily. 

I just wish it had been over something that mattered a bit more like shipping our kids to those hell holes to kill and be killed in the first place, but hey 'merica. 

Its a crazy fucking world

Ah forgot the source https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfls-tv-ratings-still-sliding-17-figures-down-big-from-same-period-in-15/ar-AAu3EsE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Edited by Rhodes1968