Cool tool saved me a bunch of money calling an arborist

I just finished cutting a 2"=3" branch off a wild cherry tree that's been overhanging my back garage roof and clogging up the gutter with leaves and crap. My feet never left the ground.

Ever hear of a pocket saw?
41O7ftG7k1L._SX466_.jpg

This thing works great! I put some 550 cord on the ends, fastened a couple of short metal rods as handles to make it easier on the hands.
I just threw it over the limb I wanted to cut, and a few minutes of sawing later, I was finished. It's not hard to use either.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's essentially a piece of chainsaw chain, but with less teeth so it doesn't take as much power to pull through the wood. Since I was on the ground, all I had to do was shift my weight from arm to arm to saw through the branch. Easy peasy. I had more trouble dragging the limb down into the woods than I did cutting it off. Too bad it doesn't have D rings instead of strap handles.

• Like 2

That's a good idea. I've moved trees off the road with a backpacker's bow saw before, but I don't keep one of those in my own car. Add a cheap come-along and a piece of samson weave or tow strap and you are capable of moving the car or the tree chunk.