On my way back from a trip to my mining spot, disaster struck.

I was going through a dip with a bridge at the bottom, and as I just bottomed out, I saw a big doe on the shoulder at the end of the guardrail.  I jumped on the brakes and was slowing, and another doe crossed in front of me.  I slammed on the brakes, and still smacked her doing about 15-20 MPH.  Then I heard the clatter of the buckets and a swooshing sound.  Pulled over, and got out my light, and checked for damage.  The front seemed OK, except for the running/fog light seems to be loose.  Checked the highway and ditches for the deer, but didn't see anything.  Then I looked inside the car.

Sassafrassa@$!@$&@$%^%$@*ITCH!!!!!

6 of 9 buckets of gold bearing sand.....DUMPED!!!

post-46782-0-67414400-1507097684_thumb.jpg

post-46782-0-52534900-1507097698_thumb.jpg

post-46782-0-52808200-1507097707_thumb.jpg

Guess I just made the insurance agent's wall of fame!  Least I hit the deer, so insurance will cover!

Now to clean up the shop vac, vac u suck the car, and pan out what I sucked up.

It might be a good time to design a simple means of keeping the buckets stable under heavy braking, assuming you travel like that often. Also, buckets with lids might be worth it. Until then, it looks like the wet vac is going to get a work out.

It would have been nice to have a strap around them, or have the seat up to hold them.  Normally, I only carry a bucket of concentrated black sand wedged in with the mining gear.  Was just grabbing the sand, as I needed the tailings for filling a muskrat hole, so this wasn't the norm.  I have a few lids, but the result would have been the same.  The black sands make those buckets really heavy, enough to pop the lids if they fall over.

The worst part is, I'm not making jerky!

• Like 2

Usually, this type of thing happens to me only when I need to be in a hurry, lol. I am getting to where I have a process for everything. Todays lesson was keep the cell phone in the stupid case on my hip, no matter what, even when taking a crap. Left my phone in the crapper at the shop and didn't realize I didn;t have it until I got to a jobsite for my other company. All things stop when there is no communication device, so I scrambled everywhere I had been on the site and then realized I may have gotten lucky and left it at the shop. I was so glad to see that phone. The little things...

No comment on the non secured inside the passenger compartment load.

No comment on your lack of tact by making a very pointed "no comment".

also, no comment on kicking a wounded puppy.

I'm genuinely surprised his no comment wasn't in the form of a question.

• Like 2

No comment, no comment?  He was very lucky.  It could have turned out much worse.  Much worse.  Living in deer country I understand these things.  Others perhaps understand it less so.  I also have done non smart things with non secured very heavy stuff inside my Chevy Sub.  I got away with it.  He did not.  He got a piece of it.  Still, he was very very lucky.  Which implies other stuff. Do we need to go any further with this?

Yeah, a little bit.  Seems some here do not yet understand his lesson.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:  Use an appropriate vehicle.  Always secure the tops of loose content containers.  Always strongly secure such heavy objects even secured outside the driver and passenger compartment.  Secured enough that the vehicle can be on its top and such containers are still somewhat secured.  This includes loose stuff routinely carried inside.  Everything except that would not hurt you hitting you with great force.

And that grandchildren is the lesson for today.  Also think safety.  Always.

It took courage for him to share his event.  We all can learn from such, which I believe was his intent.

No comment, no comment?  He was very lucky.  It could have turned out much worse.  Much worse.  Living in deer country I understand these things.  Others perhaps understand it less so.  I also have done non smart things with non secured very heavy stuff inside my Chevy Sub.  I got away with it.  He did not.  He got a piece of it.  Still, he was very very lucky.  Which implies other stuff. Do we need to go any further with this?

Yeah, a little bit.  Seems some here do not yet understand his lesson.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:  Use an appropriate vehicle.  Always secure the tops of loose content containers.  Always strongly secure such heavy objects even secured outside the driver and passenger compartment.  Secured enough that the vehicle can be on its top and such containers are still somewhat secured.  This includes loose stuff routinely carried inside.  Everything except that would not hurt you hitting you with great force.

And that grandchildren is the lesson for today.  Also think safety.  Always.

It took courage for him to share his event.  We all can learn from such, which I believe was his intent.

Nice post. Should have been the 1st one you made.

The only tie downs rated 250 lbs.

Ratchet strap 500 lbs.

Load 1000 lbs.

There's really not much I could have done.

Keeping the buckets open and letting the buckets spill is actually the safest thing.  Otherwise when the strap breaks on lidded buckets, 140 lb buckets will start flying around.  I rather get beaned by a 1 lb bucket than get hit by a freight train.

• Like 2