Muzzle Brake Testing Video

I've been working on this bad boy for months. The footage was filmed in an afternoon. The editing.....was pretty painstaking. 

7 brakes reviewed, with a stock vepr 12 rigged in a sled, with 2 different kinds of ammo, and every shot slo-mo'd and annotated.

Authentic Molot Illyn GK 01, 02, and Custom Guns GK 03
Dissident Arms Phoenix
Sutaev
Bad Boy Gunz V6
Carolina Shooters Supply American GK-01 clone

and of course the baseline was set by testing the gun first with a naked muzzle. 

Enjoy!

-V
  • Like 4

I would have been interested to see how much muzzle flip and recoil is reduced by the mass of the brake alone. Attaching lead to the muzzle would have some effect. Comparing 6 ounces of mass alone, versus the effectiveness of a 6 ounce brake, tells you how much reduction is due to the design of the gills, rather than just the mass alone. If 6 ounces of lead at the muzzle performs the same as a 6 ounce brake, it's the mass alone that's doing the work.That sort of test reveals the effectiveness of the DESIGN.

Edited by JohnnyE
  • Like 1

I would have been interested to see how much muzzle flip and recoil is reduced by the mass of the brake alone. Attaching lead to the muzzle would have some effect. Comparing 6 ounces of mass alone, versus the effectiveness of a 6 ounce brake, tells you how much reduction is due to the design of the gills, rather than just the mass alone. If 6 ounces of lead at the muzzle performs the same as a 6 ounce brake, it's the mass alone that's doing the work.That sort of test reveals the effectiveness of the DESIGN.

I did one of those, and was going to mention that to Vadim. I can say that even doubling the weight had very little observable effect, but even light comps made a huge effect. It isn't the mass alone, or even primarily. That old wive's tale can die.

• Like 1

I did one of those, and was going to mention that to Vadim. I can say that even doubling the weight had very little observable effect, but even light comps made a huge effect. It isn't the mass alone, or even primarily. That old wive's tale can die.

Thanks for reporting this. I didn't know, didn't want to guess, and hearing from someone who's tried is real information.

• Like 2

Thank you.

Yea I was amazed at how effective all the brakes were. I should have indeed tied a brake to the muzzle after the bare muzzle

Test just to smash that myth once and for all, but honestly I was very pressed to do my filming that day and wanted to do the important stuff.

Also, note that the lightest brake had the most effect on muzzle rise.

Bad boy gunz has moved into full production of the 4oz aluminum brake. The first run was the steel one. He let me crank about 2000 rounds through that one and beat on it during competiton use to make sure it was absolutley durable. And it is.

Thanks for watching guys!

-V

Edited by VforVandetta
  • Like 2

Thank you.

Yea I was amazed at how effective all the brakes were. I should have indeed tied a brake to the muzzle after the bare muzzle

Test just to smash that myth once and for all, but honestly I was very pressed to do my filming that day and wanted to do the important stuff.

Also, note that the lightest brake had the most effect on muzzle rise.

Bad boy gunz has moved into full production of the 4oz aluminum brake. The first run was the steel one. He let me crank about 2000 rounds through that one and beat on it during competiton use to make sure it was absolutley durable. And it is.

Thanks for watching guys!

-V

Thanks for putting it together. Your well thought out and executed program made for some real myth busting!