I got rid of my trigger creep

I have a .308-1 Saiga with the 16" Congo barrel. I bought 2 of them and gave one to my father in law for his birthday. Every year we hunt Deer in N.E. Oklahoma in very heavily wooded areas and the longest shot would be no more than 75 yards so we probably won't be adding scopes. Prior to purchasing these rifles I hunted with a 7mm Savage and my father in law used a Marlin 30-30. I bought these Saigas because they are short, accurate, reliable, rugged and semi-autos make for fast followup shots.

The only.. and I mean ONLY thing I didn't like was the long creep in the trigger. I am a long time Kalishnikov fan and am a lurker to this forum as well as others.

Last night my father in law and I were dicking around with my rifle and I came up with a quick solution to get rid of the creep. Heck it was so easy I it took about 10 minutes.

All I did was file off some metal from the tip of the trigger hook, a little at a time until about 95% of the creep was eliminated. The weight of the trigger pull is the same, but the creep, was reduced to almost zero. I could have gotten rid of all of the creep, but I didn't want to get greedy and remove to much metal and screw it up. :ded:

I also added some urethane foam (the canned stuff from Lowe's that expands) to the buttstock because it has a hollow sound that if tapped, is loud and could spook an approaching buck. The foam kept leaking out and was a mess to clean up, but it solved the problem after it had set.

I also added a windage adjustable RPK sight and replaced the reciever cover with a ribbed East German one.

My father in law is going to do the same with his rifle and we are both chomping at the bit for gun season to start next November.

Quail Fat? What kinda name is that? Welcome, fellow 16"er. As yet no mods here, thinking heavily about the buttstock foam, I have a bunch of closed cell foam left over from what I used to upholster the race seat on my motorcycle . . . thinking about making a butt pad & contemplating shaping my own recoil buffer out of the same stuff - pretty easy to cut and shape, closed cell so it won't pick up or hold moisture.

I have been thinking of foaming my SAIGA12 stock, I am leaning toward using a piece of 3/4 pvc pipe as a stiffener-epoxy at hand grip and foam the rest.

G O B

• 4 months later...