US Manufactured Saiga 20-Round HiCap Magazine Review

First, let me say that I have been waiting a very long time for a high capacity magazine to arrive on the market for the Saiga .308 rifle. I remember reading post after post on the Saiga-12 Forum about high capacity magazines...I remember reading multiple threads on multiple boards about converting existing magazines to fit the Saiga .308.

Today, the long wait is over...and it looks like every day, every hour, and every minute was worth it...

I received one of the first magazines from the great folks at FBMG Incorporated today, and let me say that I am impressed!

I remember talking with James Bunten months ago about these magazines, and he asked me if I would be interested in doing a review for fit and functionality once they were in production, I told him sure, no problem just send it my way when you get it.

When I talked to James on the phone the other day, I could tell by the excitement in his voice that he was thoroughly satisfied with the magazine...now I see why. Out of the box....I was floored!!

I disassembled my existing 8-Round Magazine and did side by side comparisons with the new FBMG Magazine. With every single comparison, FBMG was clearly the better magazine.

Upon reassembly, I noticed the tolerance between the floorplate grooves of the magazine and the actual edges of the floorplate were very close. Close to the point of being too "snug" and disassembly would be a little challenging without tools. I took some light gauge steel wool and worked on the edges of the floorplate, and then attempted to reassemble. It worked like magic. The floorplate was nice and snug, and I was able to disassemble without any tools.

So....Part 1 of this review gets an A+

Tomorrow, I will travel to the Troy Fish & Game and run a few magazine loads through the rifle and post pics along with videos.

saiga-1a.jpg

saiga-2a.jpg

saiga-3a.jpg

saiga-4.jpg

saiga-5.jpg

saiga-6.jpg

saiga-7.jpg

saiga-8.jpg

saiga-9.jpg

saiga-10.jpg

saiga-11.jpg

saiga-12.jpg

saiga-13.jpg

saiga-14.jpg

saiga-15.jpg

saiga-16.jpg

saiga-17.jpg

saiga-18.jpg

saiga-19.jpg

saiga-20.jpg

saiga-21.jpg

Edited by Krinkfreak
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm so excited!!!!! i may have to pee on something,, i can't hold it! hurry up!!! i'm such a dumb but sometimes,, i should have ordered more!!! like all of themwhencanwe start onthe next batch!!!

THANKS FOR THE INTEGRITY AND FORTITUDE OF FBMG,,,, this project has done alot for restoring faith inthis industry that has been degraded by so many well intentioned folks that have tried to take on projects of this magnatude.... and by those who were just shit bags in general a screwed people without remorse.

i know what these guys have gone through as we have taken on projects like this ourselves.

and congratulations and applause to all there customers who stood by them and stood up for them in the course of this project...

BARTENDER I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A ROUND FOR THE HOUSE PLEASE!!

Hmmm, a notable abscense of naysayers on this thread :D :D

Can't wait for mine to get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those look better than I had hoped for. Gonna look so good on my carbine. I can't wait to parade the pictures on the other web sights to make em all jealous :)

Can't wait for mine to get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those look better than I had hoped for. Gonna look so good on my carbine. I can't wait to parade the pictures on the other web sights to make em all jealous :)

And it'll look really good on my fulllength :smoke:

Great job guys, looks great.

It appears that the new mags have thinner lips. Is that correct or are they more rounded...or does the pic lie?

Thanks for the very complete review. Is there an angle you didnt cover? :)

If you look at it a bit closer I believe your eyes are playing tricks on you. Look at the inside long view of the lip on both. The FBMG mag looks slightly thicker to me. I think its the loser slot in the Saiga 6rd mag that being loser makes the other mags lip look smaller. Just my humble opinion! :rolleyes:

And it'll look really good on my fulllength :smoke:

Great job guys, looks great.

:D

I conducted Part Two of this review at the Troy Ohio Fish & Game Firing Range.

I utilized some surplus Indian .308 ammo that I had acquired about three years ago and shot a total of around 60-70 rounds. I was pressed for time and had to cut the range-time short.

The test weapon was a Saiga 16" Sporter Rifle that had been retrofitted to MilSpec AK configuration by In Range of Kodak Tennessee.

I loaded 10 rounds initially and experienced no difficulty with the magazine:

Loading 10 rounds into the FBMG 20-Round Saiga Magazine

I then fired 10 rounds with no jams:

Firing 10 rounds from the FBMG 20-Round Saiga Magazine

I then turned the weapon over to fellow board member, Evo, and he fired off 10 rounds:

Firing another 10 rounds from the FBMG 20-Round Saiga Magazine

I then proceeded to load 20 rounds into the magazine and experienced a bit of difficulty around the 11th round. I then loaded the magazine into the weapon, racked the bolt and attempted to cycle through 20 rounds. The weapon did not want to feed well with 20 rounds loaded. We attributed that to a previously identified condition that FBMG had identified to us, and that was a narrow channel within the magazine that was causing the follower to bind.

Attempting to fire 20 rounds from the FBMG 20-Round Saiga Magazine

I unloaded the magazine, loaded 10 rounds and the magazine functioned as expected. I did this a couple of more times with no jams. I then attempted another 20 round load, but experienced difficulty again. I then packed up the weapon and headed home. I consulted with James on the phone this morning to give him my preliminary findings, and told him the review was not able to be completed. He agreed and we continued our conversation with emphasis on the specifications of the magazine, etc. He told me he was putting another magazine body in the mail today and sending to me for further testing. Once I receive the second magazine body, I will continue the test and post my review.

KF

Edited by Krinkfreak

The plastic squirter is opening up the inside of the mag 5 thousandths on each side to accomodate the follower better. We knew they were tight prior to shipping them and did not get a chance to notify the testers before hand. We wanted to see if it would actually be a problem in the mag. The next run of mags should go out to them the end of the week.

Edited by PvtPyle