Let 'em Eat

To any and all who's wallets are aching from feeding the .410 expensive buckshot and slugs from our local sporting goods like Academy and Wal-mart. I found what I think is a decent price on some ammo. I hope this helps curb the expense and appetite of these otherwise kick ass S-12 siblings.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=215168 Buckshot

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=320656 Slugs

Feeding My Habit~Slyckk

• 2 weeks later...
To any and all who's wallets are aching from feeding the .410 expensive buckshot and slugs from our local sporting goods like Academy and Wal-mart. I found what I think is a decent price on some ammo. I hope this helps curb the expense and appetite of these otherwise kick ass S-12 siblings.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=215168 Buckshot

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=320656 Slugs

Feeding My Habit~Slyckk

That's great for you 2 1/2" guys, but, I have an older model that chambers on 3". Any cheap sources?

Mine's the old one too. I shoot Barnauls almost exclusively. They're cheap, accurate (almost as good as Brenneke) and RUSSIAN.

Hey Slyckk! Cool avatar! I just stole it, hope ya don't mind, I'm gonna use that on something! :devil:

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Feb 22 2007, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The wife's is the older 3" only kind. We shoot almost all Barnul. That's why I need to test them for function.

But I understand that Barnul and Bear are the same factory.

Yep, I think so too (even from the packaging colors and artwork). I contacted SportsmanGuide and they indicated that they had no intention of stocking/selling the longer 3" size.

Any other sources?

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

Here's one place. They say 2 2/4" on the box but they are the same as the "3 inch" barnauls. The Barnaul steel hulls actually measure 2 3/4". Since they are roll crimped instead of like plastic shells that open up an additional 1/4" when fired, that can be confusing. More than likely Sportsman's Guide is calling these 2 3/4", not 3" because that's what it says on the box and that's what they are.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

Here's one place. They say 2 2/4" on the box but they are the same as the "3 inch" barnauls. The Barnaul steel hulls actually measure 2 3/4". Since they are roll crimped instead of like plastic shells that open up an additional 1/4" when fired, that can be confusing. More than likely Sportsman's Guide is calling these 2 3/4", not 3" because that's what it says on the box and that's what they are.

Much thanks Cobra (or should I say'Obi Juan'). Teach us newbies and lead us on the right path :devil:

Came back from the range tonight. I ran about 60 rounds of the Golden & silver bear slugs and buck through my 410. They performed flawlessly, no failuers to load or eject. I got a lot of strange looks from people as those big steel shells went flying all over the place! :lol: Those Russian shells seem fairly powerful.

Bad news was when I was finished my Chinese stock had some big cracks and splits up near the top screws. :bann: Damn shells rocked her stock off! Now as I contemplate my next move I know I will need to make another call to the Sportsman Guide! :devil:

• 4 weeks later...
Came back from the range tonight. I ran about 60 rounds of the Golden & silver bear slugs and buck through my 410. They performed flawlessly, no failuers to load or eject. I got a lot of strange looks from people as those big steel shells went flying all over the place! :lol: Those Russian shells seem fairly powerful.

Bad news was when I was finished my Chinese stock had some big cracks and splits up near the top screws. :bann: Damn shells rocked her stock off! Now as I contemplate my next move I know I will need to make another call to the Sportsman Guide! :devil:

The last time I went to the range the Golden Bear slugs opened up some big cracks in my wooden thumbhole stock. Well I got inspired by Hunter78's paint job and tried some painting myself and then I took off the thumbhole. I put the new stock on this afternoon and I love it! :wub:

BTW the Sportsman Guide is currently out of the GB slugs :(

post-4575-1175142187_thumb.jpg

Well a Sportsman Guide catalog just came in the mail today and there on page 34 are the Silver Bear slugs on SALE...50 rds for $18. Now where is my back order!!?? :huh:

I've been having somewhat of the same backorder problem with Sportsman Guide - their web site indicates shells are available; I place my order; then I start getting e-mails saying that items are on backorder. Maybe just a hic-up on their part, but my shipped date has been extended 3-times.

get a long stroke rifle press, and 410 dies. reload half of your ammo. you WILL SAVE money, and you will have THINGS TO DO with your gun habit. let alone the control of your shells that you gain. think of that alone. think of the one 40 caliber ball with birdshot in it. you can load those up, then.

the 410 is a DEFINATE candidate for reloading, even these days with cheap shots.

I just bought the last two cases of #4 they had...

I use .444 Marlin Dies to reload .410 and .444 Marlin Brass. Works like a charm.

I have had no FTFs or other issues at all. I just bought some of the brass Mag Tech cases too, thought I'd give them a try.

Edited by warthog
  • 1 month later...

The wife's S-.410 is the older 3" only model and loves to eat both flavors.It is verry hungry and likes Barnul too. Funny thing is that they are all Barnul. (read the fine print on the boxes).

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ May 23 2007, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The wife's S-.410 is the older 3" only model and loves to eat both flavors.It is verry hungry and likes Barnul too. Funny thing is that they are all Barnul. (read the fine print on the boxes).

Wow. It sure does say Barnaul. I'll mix up some 3" ammo in my mags this weekend at a combat shoot, I'll be one more opinion.

The Golden Bears definately work. I entered a semi-auto shotgun bowling pin shoot with it, 15 pins took 16 shots with 0 misses. I didn't place well, but I won an identical pump competition, and completed it with my Benelli faster than anyone completed the semi-auto shoot. The un-converted stock on the Saiga doesn't take to combat shooting as well as the PG on the Benelli. After firing that little .410 I had to recover the sight picture, which took much longer than with my 12 gauge loaded with 2.75" magnums with 12 pellets of 00-buck. I need a conversion, because after firing this little Saiga I can't ever sell it.

Back onto the Golden Bear ammo, half of the lips of the shells came out dented. Everybody had to ask me what I was shooting. Half of them wanted to know if I was firing a Kalashnikov, the other half was interested in the 'brass.' Oh and one thought it was cute that I brought a .410 to a competition... I finished in 5.13 seconds when at least 3 of them were in the 4.5 second range. But only one pin that I made could I have blamed the weakness of the .410 in needing to take a second shot at. However there was another shot I made that would have been off by at least 2 inches if I had been firing a rifle. When the pin flew back off the table on that shot I had to remind myself that I wasn't firing my 5.45x39 and remember that wonderful little spread.

The Golden Bears definately work. I entered a semi-auto shotgun bowling pin shoot with it, 15 pins took 16 shots with 0 misses. I didn't place well, but I won an identical pump competition, and completed it with my Benelli faster than anyone completed the semi-auto shoot. The un-converted stock on the Saiga doesn't take to combat shooting as well as the PG on the Benelli. After firing that little .410 I had to recover the sight picture, which took much longer than with my 12 gauge loaded with 2.75" magnums with 12 pellets of 00-buck. I need a conversion, because after firing this little Saiga I can't ever sell it.

Back onto the Golden Bear ammo, half of the lips of the shells came out dented. Everybody had to ask me what I was shooting. Half of them wanted to know if I was firing a Kalashnikov, the other half was interested in the 'brass.' Oh and one thought it was cute that I brought a .410 to a competition... I finished in 5.13 seconds when at least 3 of them were in the 4.5 second range. But only one pin that I made could I have blamed the weakness of the .410 in needing to take a second shot at. However there was another shot I made that would have been off by at least 2 inches if I had been firing a rifle. When the pin flew back off the table on that shot I had to remind myself that I wasn't firing my 5.45x39 and remember that wonderful little spread.

I too LOVE my 410 with the Golden/Silver Bear ammo and the ten round mag. :smoke: Its the best...just so dang hard to find that ammo. I always see people looking as those big shells go flying. Its a joy to shoot and people always give me a complement or two about her looks. If I let em squeeze off a round or two they just grin from ear to ear! :D

Ok, another update. The shoot I went to to fire the .410 at was the Sunday before last. This past Sunday I go there again and enter a pre-1945 rifle shoot with my mauser. There are 3 guys huddled together talking, they each have a big ~.40-.45 looking brass in their hand. They look like mine but I can't tell so I don't say anything. I hear one say something like, "Well, I guess I'll look it up on the internet. Probably a .45/120 or something, who knows." So I walk over and ask to see a shell. Sure enough, they have 3 of my shells they dug out of the empty bin. One week after I had fired the thing and tossed my steel shells away there was a conversation about them. I told them they're steel covered in brass and they probably wouldn't be a good reload if they were planning on trying to neck down the brass or something. But either way it was HILARIOUS that 7 days after I fired 16 rounds of that Saiga there was a group of guys scratching their head over my brass.

That range gets a ton of traffic and competition shoots, so I can guarantee that these two Sundays aren't the only 2 times people have been confused by the .410 brass.