His & Hers Saiganovs -- Now with brakes!

Some of you have probably been wondering what your options are for an S-308 muzzle brakes. I didn't care for dinzag's current "set screw" and "bolt on adapter" options, and I don't have a mill or lathe. The solution appeared to be:

1) Have dinzag bored my FSB's such that they can be moved "one pin back". (I felt that "one pin back" would help to avoid my canting the FSB when reinstalling.)

2) Purchase dinzag's AK-74 brakes -- 5/8" x 24 for the smaller barrels, or 17 x 1 mm for the larger barrels.

3) Rent the appropriate threading kits from dinzag.

Note: For more info on the discussions surrounding this, see: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=15706 and http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14069.

Well the results were an unqualified success. It took less than 30 minutes per rifle to thread the barrels, re-install the FSB's, re-groove the barrel and install new rear FSB pins, and install and index the brakes. Easy to do, and the results are both solid and good looking. (Photos are posted below.)

Thanks to everyone for your input, and especially dinzag for his willingness to work with me to obtain the perfect solution (imho).

Larry

brakes1.jpg

brakes2.jpg

Edited by LESchwartz

Awesomely cool! Man that was fast - you just got the stuff yesterday :smoke:

Can you post a couple pics without the brakes?

Curious to see what the barrel ends look like...

Thanks man, glad you are happy! :up:

Awesomely cool! Man that was fast - you just got the stuff yesterday :smoke:

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're out of a job . . . :cryss:

Oh, and did I mention I also put together another AK kit this afternoon :devil:

Larry

Edited by LESchwartz
Cool, thanks! Yeah was wondering where the old pin notch would be in relation to the FSB.

Thanks for the pic. :smoke:

I think "one pin back" provides enough thread, and the former front pin notch ends up in a spot that seems more than fine.

Larry

Looks good,

I can't wait to get something on the end of mine! I don't have a fsb anymore (welded fs to gb) so it should go even faster. These rifles deserve a good break/ flash hider on them.

You don't have long to wait . . . I shipped the threading kits back to dinzag this afternoon :angel:

Larry

Looks good,

I can't wait to get something on the end of mine! I don't have a fsb anymore (welded fs to gb) so it should go even faster. These rifles deserve a good break/ flash hider on them.

You don't have long to wait . . . I shipped the threading kits back to dinzag this afternoon :angel:

Larry

You will have to wait a little longer I think I'm next in line for the thread kit dinzag's stuff is great going to have to put him on my x-mas card list :lolol:

For the 17x1 die I have hunter78, greatmoose & then gdk in that order. I had LE Schwartz send me the threading kits back so I could swap out the TAT's. I sent my long ones setup for machining - I figured they were easier to handle with the larger shank on the back side, but he had trouble locking the TAT in the die.

Edit: rflives is getting a 14x1 kit.

Edited by dinzag