Range Report on the 444 Marlin

I took the 444 Marlin to the range today in order to dial in the gas system and function check it under live fire. I initially cut the gas port at .059" which was a bit small and the gun was short stroking. I opened it up a bit at a time and got the thing ejecting well at .073". I ran about 50 rounds through the gun with zero malfunctions after the gas port was sized to .073". It appears that the conversion is fairly straightfoward and shouldn't require a bunch of screwing around to get it to work.

I will load up several hundred rounds and run some accuracy tests and a short durability test with some overloads. I will probably only get the round count up to about a thousand or so before I let one out for public sale. If you are the type of guy that needs a 50,000 round test before buying.....you're going to be out of luck.

Tony

As long as you have the gas system tuned I don't see how durability would be a problem. Slap a recoil buffer in the back and never worry about the gun beating itself to death. If it survives the overloads and thousand round count, that will be good enough for me. I assume you will be checking for setback of the bolt/locking lugs.

• 3 months later...