Where is the Saiga .223 forum?

There should be a section for the .223 and I have one and had it out at the range yesterday. I shot pretty good for me and decided that the gun is a keeper; shot several 3 shot groups at 100 yards that ranged from 2" to 3", all with open sights.

Thus far, I have had the trigger polished (much better than original feel), and replaced the front sight post with a KNS Precision and rear sight with a Mojo peep sight. All of these are clear improvements from my standpoint.

For what it is worth, I have tried Wolf, Barnaul, Black Hills, and Winchester 3131A ammo all in 55 grain, but the Winchester 223R1 (55grain) that I used yesterday was much better than all the previous ammunitions. If you have an Oshman's Sporting Goods in your area, the 223R1 is on sale for $3.99 per box.

You should also note that with the 1-in-9 twist on the .223, you should opt for 62 grain ammo when you can find it. Good luck.

The .223 does indeed have a 1-in-9 twist.

In my case, I like the idea of a pistol grip and prior to having my trigger worked on had considered having a Red Star Arms trigger or Global Arms put on the rifle. Global quoted me (at 2 different times) a price of $75-$150 for the trigger and alterations. Now that I have had my trigger improved, I like it and the additional cost isn't worth it.

I don't want to try to convert my rifle in an AK look-alike and at the price of decent ammunition, I am not into the spray and pray form of shooting.

I am considering having the gun parkoted and moly-coated by a guy in Arizona. He seems pretty sharp and I like the idea of improving the look of the gun now that I have decided to keep it. If so inclinded, here is the link: http://www.shootiniron.com/index.htm

I don't want to try to convert my rifle in an AK look-alike and at the price of decent ammunition, I am not into the spray and pray form of shooting.

Yeah, no kidding. That's what sks' are for (actually, my sks is pretty accurate at 100 yards. I just prefer to hip shoot it at less than 50). Thanks for the link.

Well, I am converting mine because I do not subscribe to the wrestle-with-a-crappy-trigger-and-pray style of shooting. Since I have one in both forms, the one in PG config is imminently more ergonomic and has more practical accuracy because of the removel of all that trigger linkage.

It's not the gun that sprays, it's the shooter. Pistol grips have nothing to do with it. I hope you have fun with your crappy trigger.

The Sheik

Try reading my posts again, I had a minor trigger job done already which was a major improvement over it's previous performance. Maybe you should read a little closer before you start spraying out venom.

Modify your weapon any way you like, it doesn't make any difference to me.

And I will enjoy my much improved trigger, thank you. Tell you what, just for a test, I am going to drive over to a local dealer and try a SAM-7 with improved trigger and compare it to mine. And I will report back here later.

Don't eat any yellow snow.

Maybe you should read a little closer before you start spraying out venom.

Hey, I'm not the one who was talking down to those who prefer PG configurations. So if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

And, I have been a gunsmith for a while now, and there is no way on God's earth that much linkage has the potential for a good trigger as the original design does. Physics don't permit it. I have never shot a SA-M7, but I have shot AKs with RSA FCGs, Gordon Tech FCGs, and FSE FCGs. With the RSA, you can get almost as good a trigger pull as a tuned 1911A1. The other two are not far behind.