Has anyone ever pressed the barrel out of a s12 trunion?

Has anyone ever pressed a s12 barrel from the trunion before, I was thinking about a winter project.

I've done several AK's and was wondering how hard the press is, and if a 12 ton would handle it?

My biggest concern is cracking the trunion on the way out.

Has anyone ever pressed a s12 barrel from the trunion before, I was thinking about a winter project.

I've done several AK's and was wondering how hard the press is, and if a 12 ton would handle it?

Here is a simple jig you can use to remove the Saiga 12 bbl. I have a more complicated jig, but the simple one is good for infrequent barrel removals.

DONT FORGET TO SCRIBE BBL, IT MAKES IT EASY TO REINSTALL BBL.

post-3545-1192343802_thumb.jpg

post-3545-1192343817_thumb.jpg

post-3545-1192343841_thumb.jpg

post-3545-1192343861_thumb.jpg

post-3545-1192343882_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jammer, it took me a minute but if I read things right, you cut the trunion profile into a pipe and slipped it over the barrel to do the press. Does it take any more force to press out the s12 barrel as compared to a AK? (I typically soak the trunion w/ a good penetrating oil and lightly ream the barrel pin hole prior to pressing out and haven't ever had a problem w/ a 12t press).

Thanks Jammer, it took me a minute but if I read things right, you cut the trunion profile into a pipe and slipped it over the barrel to do the press. Does it take any more force to press out the s12 barrel as compared to a AK? (I typically soak the trunion w/ a good penetrating oil and lightly ream the barrel pin hole prior to pressing out and haven't ever had a problem w/ a 12t press).

remove gas block

remove rear sight block/gas tube

use tube to press

use soft metal plug to push bbl out

dont forget to remove all pins and mark scribe bbl & trunion

do bbl work and reinstall and check scribe marks and pin holes

barrels push out real easy, oil wont hurt.

Here is a simple jig you can use to remove the Saiga 12 bbl. I have a more complicated jig, but the simple one is good for infrequent barrel removals.

DONT FORGET TO SCRIBE BBL, IT MAKES IT EASY TO REINSTALL BBL.

Jammer:

what is that short piece of steel that you have inside the trunion?? Obviously not a barrel. What is it?

Thanks.

Yup, thanks to both Jammer and Tony, if I do this it's all your fault(s). Sounds pretty much straight forward AK stuff. When I find a donor and some time for the next project I'll just go for it. My biggest concern was how much pressure it takes to break a 12ga barrel loose as opposed to a 7.62, I guess like everything else, get the set up work done right and it's the luck of the draw from that point.