Tromix 444 Marlin Project Has Been Scrapped.

In further testing of the 444 Marlin AK, it feeds fine with 4rd mags, but hangs up using 10rd magazines. The 10rd mags start off feeding fine, then as the mag empties out, it feeds higher and higher until the bullet strikes the edge of the barrel hood and binds up. This happens because the 444 Marlin OAL is too short in the 3" magazines. It is also too long in the 2.5" magazines.

Even with the gun working on 4rd mags I will not sell these, since the original owner will eventually sell the gun and the new owner will return it for continuous warranty work since it won't run on 10rd mags. I have been down that road before and will not make the same mistake again.

However, I ordered up the stuff to build a new gun in .375/444 Marlin, which will have an OAL long enough to work in the 10rd mags. If you don't reload however, you're out of luck.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I just picked up a 410 Saiga in the hopes of having it converted. Bummer on the feeding problem. While I would be ok with the 4 round mag, I understand the concern about future issues with the 10 rounders (mine takes 5 for some reason and I can still insert it in the magwell on a closed bolt). Mine's a 2002 EAA Corp model, if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately, I don't reload, so a 375/444 won't work for me. :cryss:

+1 for extending the barrel hood, but I don't know how that would affect other things, like the bolt carrier. I imagine "blocking" the mag wouldn't help either.

Like many others, I'd LOVE to see a 45/70 AK with a 10+ magazine. The 450 would be cool too, as would the 444. Heck, even a 44 mag or 45 Colt would be a good deer slayer with readily available ammo. But if the 444 is misfeeding because it's too short, something like a 44 mag would definitely have issues. I remember Tony did a 458 SOCOM before, but that was probably on a Saiga rifle and not the 410.

Oh well, a guy can still dream.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

Hey guys

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I just picked up a 410 Saiga in the hopes of having it converted. Bummer on the feeding problem. While I would be ok with the 4 round mag, I understand the concern about future issues with the 10 rounders (mine takes 5 for some reason and I can still insert it in the magwell on a closed bolt). Mine's a 2002 EAA Corp model, if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately, I don't reload, so a 375/444 won't work for me. :cryss:

+1 for extending the barrel hood, but I don't know how that would affect other things, like the bolt carrier. I imagine "blocking" the mag wouldn't help either.

Like many others, I'd LOVE to see a 45/70 AK with a 10+ magazine. The 450 would be cool too, as would the 444. Heck, even a 44 mag or 45 Colt would be a good deer slayer with readily available ammo. But if the 444 is misfeeding because it's too short, something like a 44 mag would definitely have issues. I remember Tony did a 458 SOCOM before, but that was probably on a Saiga rifle and not the 410.

Oh well, a guy can still dream.

Corbin

I dreamed of an AR that fired S &W 500. My issue was how long the damn thing is if memory servers it's 3mm longer than a .308 NATO. So, I'm not even sure if it would work with an AR-10 lower. In mm what is the size of a 410 length and dia.

Edited by 1LSWON

I dreamed of an AR that fired S &W 500. My issue was how long the damn thing is if memory servers it's 3mm longer than a .308 NATO. So, I'm not even sure if it would work with an AR-10 lower. In mm what is the size of a 410 length and dia.

That would be pretty cool if you could pull it off. Would probably have to be based on an AR-10 lower if it was to work at all.

Got me thinking though. hmmmmm, how about a Marlin 1895 in .500 S&W?

Lol damn now I'm thinking again that would be badass as a 10" sbr. That is a huge huge "BFG."

prob the easiest way to do it is have a barrel cut for a LMT MRP then change the bolt and play with the mags and let one of your buddies shoot it first lol. Or an AR-10 using HK 91 mags. I'm sure it could be done ak platform is very friendly to damn near anything as well. Lol I've never heard anyone say that's too much gun.

Another idea....

If the 45/70 won't fit in the 410 mag, and it's because the rim is too wide, what about turning the rim down a little to make a "45/70 auto"? If they could fit then, that might be an option.

Corbin