I looked at the Desert Eagle. To heavy, bulky, poor ergos, and everyone I've fired was finicky as hell. :scorn:

I looked at the Wildy. Again huge, more or a reloaders and hunters handgun. :unhappy:

I looked at the Auto mag. Better, like the looks, but agine lots of reports of being picky about ammo. :nothing_to_say:

Then along came this. :exciting:

972w0m.jpg

foetk8.jpg

I just found it and should have it in hand by the end of the month. :greedy:

What do you guys think?

A normal 1911 grip feels a tad slim in my gorilla hands, I have a Para-Ord and just started on a build using an STI frame. Both of these feel good to me, the Para is a little more filling there the STI is slimmer and more square.

I think the LAR will fill my hand really well. That and its a 50 cal.

Edited by KrisFox
Nice! Full range report expected from you sir! :up:

I'll do you guys one better.

Youtube vids.

Watermelon, pumpkin full of water, milkjugs with colored water, any other targets I should use?

I'll stack a bunch of soaked phonebooks in a box for a poor mans ballistic jell test.

Anyone know where Range One is near Fayetteville NC?

If you can make it there I'll let you give it a shot for the price of ammo.

I'll probably have my AK-12 as well as my MGI and a stock S-12.

A friend has a FAL and I may have a converted S-308 too.

Should make for a great range day.

I have had several in the past. 2ea 6.5" .45 WinMags, one 6.5" 50AE, and one 10" Loooong slide.45 WinMag hard chrome.

They are nice guns and better then anything else you mentioned other then the original .44 Automag.

I also made a 7" Mark V barrel in 440 Corbon Mag. I believe it is the only 440 CorBon Grizzly barrel ever made.

Tony

I have had several in the past. 2ea 6.5" .45 WinMags, one 6.5" 50AE, and one 10" Loooong slide.45 WinMag hard chrome.

They are nice guns and better then anything else you mentioned other then the original .44 Automag.

I also made a 7" Mark V barrel in 440 Corbon Mag. I believe it is the only 440 CorBon Grizzly barrel ever made.

Tony

Yep, I know a guy that swears by his Grizzly. I think it's an awesome gun, and can't stand the Desert Eagle.

Tony

That 440 is hot! More love on target than 10mm and with just a barrel swap on any standard .45acp. Or is there a difference between 440 Corbon and 440 Corbon Mag?

Ether way I'm thinking about barreling my M&P 45 in 440 Corbon.

I'd love to have a 10'' longslide for the 50AE. (If you've seen the anime "Hellsing" you know exactly what I mean)

Any thoughts on wildcatting the 50AE by necking it down to .45? May be an issue of too much pressure?

Anybody see this conversion? It's not as powerful as the 50AE though. Says it's slightly more powerful than the .45ACP, but still pretty badass for a Glock.

50-cal-glock.jpg

Yep I looked at a few of Guncrafters products.

350gn @ 750fps. I wonder how well it would suppress.

Tony

Hey Tony,

Got a question for ya, I was looking at that kickass 50AE Sledgehammer setup on your site, and was reading how it will "auto-collapse your stock in short order. If you would like to avoid having a divot gouged out of your skull, you better leave the CAR stock to your mouse gun.... nuf said."

http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_50AE.htm

Then I look down at the next picture and see the lightweight version of that gun, the "Ultra-lite 50AE", which says it has even more felt recoil due to reduced weight, and its got a CAR stock on it??

So not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, but what am I missing here? LOL Did you beef up the CAR stock on that model or something?

Please don't take offense at my question, but I was just found it amuzing and was dying to know.

Awesome guns by the way! :devil:

Tony

Hey Tony,

Got a question for ya, I was looking at that kickass 50AE Sledgehammer setup on your site, and was reading how it will "auto-collapse your stock in short order. If you would like to avoid having a divot gouged out of your skull, you better leave the CAR stock to your mouse gun.... nuf said."

http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_50AE.htm

Then I look down at the next picture and see the lightweight version of that gun, the "Ultra-lite 50AE", which says it has even more felt recoil due to reduced weight, and its got a CAR stock on it??

So not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, but what am I missing here? LOL Did you beef up the CAR stock on that model or something?

Please don't take offense at my question, but I was just found it amuzing and was dying to know.

Awesome guns by the way! :devil:

I just want to know who found out about the auto-collapsing stock the hard way?

O and a 50AE barrel and bolt would be great for my MGI. That round in both a rifle and pistol would kick ass.

O... Do you think a Magpul CTR stock would auto collapse?

Edited by KrisFox

The older CAR stocks would all break. The newer M4 style, I hear, hold up better but I no longer build any big bore AR's.

KrisFox, you are confusing the 400 Corbon with the 440 Corbon Mag. The 400 is simply a 45 ACP necked down to 40 cal, and pretty much sucks compared to the 40 Super in a 1911.

The 440 is a 50AE necked down to 44cal. (.429 44 Magnum bullets)

Tony

The older CAR stocks would all break. The newer M4 style, I hear, hold up better but I no longer build any big bore AR's.

KrisFox, you are confusing the 400 Corbon with the 440 Corbon Mag. The 400 is simply a 45 ACP necked down to 40 cal, and pretty much sucks compared to the 40 Super in a 1911.

The 440 is a 50AE necked down to 44cal. (.429 44 Magnum bullets)

Tony

Makes sense. I should have applied Tromix logic to it.

I just found a really good site to comparing rounds, ballistics, fetching load data, and even figuring out what to round re-chamber or re-barrel a weapon in. AMMOGUIDE.COM

I think I've got a tough choice between 50AE and 50BEO for my next MGI cal now that I've got the Griz.

Read this for a review of the big bore autoloaders. I wrote it back in 1997. After I wrote it, I bought a couple more Grizzly's, a Coonan, another 44 Automag and a Desert Eagle in 440 Corbon. All have been sold except for the 40 Super S/N 1.

http://zvis.com/dep/mgnrv/mgr.php?y

I read that back in my freshman year of Highschool!

That was when I first started wondering about magnum autos.

Now that I have my CCW and a M&P .45 along with a Ruger 22/45 and a beat up oldie (and goodie) P14.45 I figured it was time for a hand cannon.

pretty neat, i second on the full range report, i'd like to know what the felt recoil is like on that, and how quick of a follow-up shot is (not like you need one, your either scared or deaf LOL)

I plan to try a mag dump if and only if I think it can be done safely.

Edited by KrisFox

That grip is pretty big. Make sure your have a good hold on it so the grip doesn't come loose in your hand. If it does, there is no way to accurately rip off a bunch of shots if you have to reaquire your grip each time. I don't think the Griz 50's are too bad compared to a stout hand load out of a Mark I WinMag.

Tony

• 5 months later...