Has anyone else SB'ed the .410 ?

Just getting ready to start cutting some .410's down and was wondering if anyone else has cut one off yet. Really just want to know how short I can go without moding the gas system. ... otherwise I'll cut er down untill it quits working on #1 setting and work it out from there.......... :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

As we all know, each gun is different. Some will run shorter than others. But if I post that it will work, you cut it off, and yours doesn't work....I'm at fault. So, you won't hear that from me. I've been around the block.......

If Tom cut's off one gun and it runs just fine at 14"......that doesn't mean shit. The next one that is cut off at 14" may not run at all.

I have made 3 SBS .410's. All were 10 incher's. All had the gas block moved back. All ran fine.

T ony

I talked to Tony today about this. One thing he asked me was how far my gun ejected the shells. Makes sense that would be a clue as to how much a gun is gassing. If the shells are hitting the ground 4 feet away, it probably will not like a shorter barrel. If they're hitting 20 feet away, they may be room for reducing the barrel. Just a simple but good rule of thumb.

Thanks, Tony.

I was also thinking, if the gun will shoot light loads on gas plug setting 1, it would seem there room to play with.

I'll have to go out and check what my gun does before I do any cutting.

I talked to Tony today about this. One thing he asked me was how far my gun ejected the shells. Makes sense that would be a clue as to how much a gun is gassing. If the shells are hitting the ground 4 feet away, it probably will not like a shorter barrel. If they're hitting 20 feet away, they may be room for reducing the barrel. Just a simple but good rule of thumb.

Thanks, Tony.

I was also thinking, if the gun will shoot light loads on gas plug setting 1, it would seem there room to play with.

I'll have to go out and check what my gun does before I do any cutting.

My Saiga-410 sends shells further than any gun I have ever seen. At the range I compete at, there are burms between the pistol range and rifle range. Mine go over the burm. At my local club, there is a burm and a fence, most of them bounce back off the fence and land on the burm. They go far and high, it is ridiculous. My .410 hull collection is pathetic, I lose a lot of them.

Oh and there isn't a huge problem in making it a "setting-1" only gun IMO. I don't use 2.5" shells, ever.