Are parts I make myself 922r compliant?

Hello,

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but I wanted to give it a shot. I am planning on doing some conversion work on a Norinco Hunter I just bought, and I was wondering if parts I make myself are 922r compliant. I think my gun only counts for 15 parts, since it does not have any muzzle attachments. I was going to buy the Tapco FCG, which counts as 3 parts, a US made pistol grip, and hopefully make my own buttstock. Would a buttstock I make myself (in the US of course) count towards my parts count?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT:

Looks like I may not have to worry about more than 4 parts, since this is a milled receiver and has no barrel trunion. That's awfully convenient. I'd still like to know if homemade parts still count.

Edited by perkascene

Take a picture of the part being made. That would be great evidence of US manufacture as well.

I had a custom stainless steel forward assist made for my FAL by a master machinist named "Moutainman" over on the FAL-Files. That is how I "prove" it to be a "Made in the USA" part!

Just remember that "making it yourself" does not mean you can take a pre-existing item and "tweak it"... you cant take a wooden Chinese thumbhole, cut the bottom off, reshape it to a standard stock and claim it was made in USA...

If you take a piece of WOOD, and MAKE a stock out of it, then YES, it is indeed MADE IN USA... just want to clarify this little thing, as some have thought they could tweak a part then claim USA made status... it doesnt work that way...

Just want to make sure everyone is on the same page!

:smoke:

Just remember that "making it yourself" does not mean you can take a pre-existing item and "tweak it"... you cant take a wooden Chinese thumbhole, cut the bottom off, reshape it to a standard stock and claim it was made in USA...

If you take a piece of WOOD, and MAKE a stock out of it, then YES, it is indeed MADE IN USA... just want to clarify this little thing, as some have thought they could tweak a part then claim USA made status... it doesnt work that way...

Just want to make sure everyone is on the same page!

:smoke:

To take this further, the revenuers don't count it, if the purpose hasn't changed.

IndyArms example above is what you can't do.

However, you can take the same Chinese thumbhole stock and cut some pistol grips out of it, and those would count as US made, because they're no longer buttstocks.

The letter from the reveuers has been posted here a few times that covers this.

Edited by nalioth

Understood, thanks for making it clear. I don't know if I'll wind up making any parts for it now, since my compliance parts count is so low. I had considered making my own folding stock, since this won't accept normal AK stocks. I also thought about making my own handguard for it, since it uses a weird handguard. That is really depending on what I do with the stock at this point though.

Like I said, FCG and a USA pistol grip takes care of 922r compliance for me.

Edited by perkascene

NorincoHunter.jpg

That's the rifle in question, by the way. Sorry it's not a Saiga. I looked around for one, but this was local and the price was right. I would still love to get a .308 Saiga, if anyone is interested in a partial trade on a Mossberg shotgun...

I picked this up last night for $300. The current trigger arrangement is pretty weird, with the way it's laid back like that, but it's actually pretty comfortable with that stock on it. It's kind of like a mini BAR. Has a 20'' chrome lined barrel, takes standard AK mags, and looks like it's hardly been shot. The only thing I don't really like about it is the sight, but I'll get used to it.

It's my first AK style rifle, but not my first rifle whose originality I am going to ruin. I don't plan on doing anything that can't be undone though. For now, I want to put a Tapco double-claw FCG in it and a pistol grip. I'll leave the stock alone for now until I figure out a good way to put another stock on it. I'll have to pick up a cheap AK stock so I can see how they normally mount and make some sort of adapter for it. A Galil-style conversion isn't out of the question though, since I really like the look of side-folding stocks.

Edited by perkascene

It's a Norinco. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. My car needs tires, an allignment, and an inspection, so I can't drive to the range. I spent my repair money on the rifle. It's a vicious cycle. Are there any laws about strapping it to my back and riding my Yamaha up to the range?

Depends on state laws. Generally, for transport, the rifle would need to be cased, unloaded, and with the magazine removed. The bolt should also be locked open if at all possible. If it is cased, there SHOULD be no problems with transporting it by motorbike. However, I would call your local and state police to verify this first.

Depends on state laws. In some states, for transport, the rifle would need to be cased, unloaded, and with the magazine removed. The bolt should also be locked open if at all possible. If it is cased, there SHOULD be no problems with transporting it by motorbike. However, I would call your local and state police to verify this first.

Edited.

Texas allows you to carry any weapon you like in any condtion you desire when going to the range/match/gun show/etc. Motorcycle, automobile, horseback, on foot, etc.

No, I'm not saying the police won't come and talk to you when some some soccer mom takes offense at you exercising your rights, but it is legal to do the above here.

If it's uncased and transported by motorbike, I guarantee you'll be harassed because invariably the muzzle of that gun will point at SOMEONE along the way. Even in Texas, I wouldn't do it because there's still various laws that deal with recklessly allowing the muzzle to point at other people. Don't be stupid. Legal, in its strictest sense, does not mean it's smart or that you will not violate other laws along the way if you're not careful. Put it in a gun case with a sling and transport it that way once you've verified it's legal to do so.

OT- but I had a norinco hunter for a bit. I liked exactly Half of it. Everything from the mag catch forward was sweet, and everything from the triggerguard back drove me nuts. milled reciver was lovely, liked the handguard, balance felt better than an unconverted saiga, nice high quality parts and decent fit/finish. The reciver cover was two bitches in a bitch boat to get on/off. Didn't like the peep sight, ergonomics of the stock and trigger were horrible, trigger pull was really long/ back and up. If I had done my saiga conversion before selling off my Hunter, I would have tried to convert it, but at the time I was pretty squeamish about hacking one up. Best of luck to you, and post pics when you're done!

I finally got to the range today. I agree with your comment on the peep sight, it's really terrible. I want to make my own tangent sight for it, and I really want a tritium/white post for the front. The receiver cover isn't too bad to get off on mine, it seems to fit really well.

I've been going back and forth, whether or not to convert it to a pistol grip layout or not. I am going to go for it, and make my own folding buttstock. I am going to get an ACE buttstock folding mechanism and make a skeleton stock for it.

Pics will come when I am done.