Mags Mags Mags... which one to get??

OK, newbie questions:

Of all the magazines out there to choose from, which one should I stock up on?

Sure Fire?

AGP?

Promag?

What are good prices for the above as well? I'm not worried about a few dollars here or there. Just want what works the best and is reliable.

I am not restricted to size - yet! :cryss: thank you Mr. "President".

I should have my first Saiga in a few days. Have not decided whether to shoot it or have it be an "investment". I doubt I will be able to resist the temptation to take it out and blast away with it. I also have all the conversion parts already in my hands... Ohhh the torture.

Edited by yuuts

I know there's several threads on here talking about the reliability and problems folks have had with the different mags. Read up on the different opinions people have and decide what you want. I myself have mainly stuck with the Surefire mags, but that's just me. I've got a clear AGP coming soon though. An MD-20 drum will be on its way soon too. :smoke:

EVERY mag has had some issue at one time or another. EVERY mag. I've read threads from people that had AGPs come apart and throw shells everywhere, I've heard of people breaking the front tabs off the Surefires (I did on an AGP 1st shot), others have had their Pro Mags malfunction. I've even read where a factory Russian 5 rounder had the metal feed lips come off and launch the rounds everywhere.

My opinion is to read up and compare what exactly you're looking for (price, capacity, customer service, etc) and then just get one. Better yet, get several. Try out a couple different brands and see what you and your Saiga like best.

See my Surefire go through 7 or 8 rounds in a second

Corbin

*Edit* Wasabi, I cut one of my 12 round Surefires to an 8 rounder and it's perfect for me. /i suspect the factory ones will be similar.

Edited by Corbin
I know there's several threads on here talking about the reliability and problems folks have had with the different mags. Read up on the different opinions people have and decide what you want. I myself have mainly stuck with the Surefire mags, but that's just me. I've got a clear AGP coming soon though. An MD-20 drum will be on its way soon too. :smoke:

EVERY mag has had some issue at one time or another. EVERY mag. I've read threads from people that had AGPs come apart and throw shells everywhere, I've heard of people breaking the front tabs off the Surefires (I did on an AGP 1st shot), others have had their Pro Mags malfunction. I've even read where a factory Russian 5 rounder had the metal feed lips come off and launch the rounds everywhere.

My opinion is to read up and compare what exactly you're looking for (price, capacity, customer service, etc) and then just get one. Better yet, get several. Try out a couple different brands and see what you and your Saiga like best.

See my Surefire go through 7 or 8 rounds in a second

Corbin

*Edit* Wasabi, I cut one of my 12 round Surefires to an 8 rounder and it's perfect for me. /i suspect the factory ones will be similar.

+1 Corbin. WELL SAID! :super:

I own some of each: AGP, Surefire (Just got one), Promag and MD20 drum. They all function well.

I PERSONALLY prefer the look of the Promags. The Promag also seem to be the easiest to modify to 5-rounds. I've also noticed that many of the latest pics on the picture thread are using Promags too.

rock-n-lock!!!

JD

Edited by JeffD

i think a lot of its preference. However, AGP was the first major player in the hicap saiga mag world and i think there will always be more of those on the street than the others. I have AGP's and once broken in, i havent had any problems with them, very happy with them and i have probably a 1000 plus shells through a couple of them and no issues.

CJG

i think a lot of its preference. However, AGP was the first major player in the hicap saiga mag world and i think there will always be more of those on the street than the others. I have AGP's and once broken in, i havent had any problems with them, very happy with them and i have probably a 1000 plus shells through a couple of them and no issues.

CJG

Agree.

Kevin at AGP took the ball and ran with it, everyone else followed suit....that alone deserves AGP patronage.

We have a couple dozen of his mags, have pounded the sh*t out of many, and have never had any issue with them; they are the cat's ass!

My AGPs when assembled correctly (incorrect assembly was my fault) work great.

I can't see how you could design a mag to be worse than the stock 5 rounder, which is a bit crappy. I have to load it with a team of four people making sure that the feedlips won't fly off. Then I have to teleport it into the gun without it touching anything, then lock it in. Once it's in, reliable as all hell.

I'd get an MD-20 and just do whatever with the mags. Whatever works.

I have the Pro-Mags and the AGPs. Between the two the AGPs are much better. The Pro-mags didn't fit well at all. I had to mod it with a Dremel to make it fit and release without binding. My gun has a mag-lock and it seems to be binding on it. Of course the stock mag works fine with no problems. After reworking the Pro-mags, they fit and release fine but it has a lot of side to side wiggle.

I recently got some AGP mags and they look much better. From looking at the tab on where it engages the mag release, the profile looks very similar to the stock 5rnd mag so I'm hoping that I won't have any fitment issues like I did with the Pro-mags. The Pro-mags tab looks completely different than the stock mags which may be why it didn't fit properly.

As for the Surefires, I've heard stories about them breaking in half or the spring and follower exploding while fully loaded in a gun. So I've stayed away from it for now until I hear better about them.

Prices for both Pro-mag and AGP were about $45/mag. I bought both AGP and Pro-mag direct from the mfg. I've heard that others have gotten them for less from some other dealers out there so check around.