Finished my 1st conversion, I am a BoneHead! PICS

Took delivery of my first Saiga 12 in Jan. Ordered a Tromix backplate, DIY triggerguard, Tapco FCG, US forend and went to work. Tig welded the back plate and filled the old pin holes and tacked on the HK sights that I had laying around. Ground down all the welds to look flush, (front HK sight was a pain), moved the FCG foward and finished it off with Brownell's Alumahyde II Semi-Gloss black (may go with Matte Black next time). Added the Ace Folder I had on a previous AK and was really happy with my first attempt, did it all in my garage with what I had. The Ace stock is the shorty, it is a little to short.

If anyone wants to trade a Tromix stock or a longer Ace stock for mine, I would be game!

Now for the bonehead in me. I never test fired the gun before I did all this. Comes to find out out I have a :Vodka Special"! It will cycle with High brass shells on #2, but forget about anything less powerful as the shell will not get ejected and that is the story. Looked in the gas port and sure enough it only has 2 holes. This guns falls right in the serial range of all the other 2 port guns. This won't happen to me again, learned my leason.

Right now I am packing it up to go to Cadiz Gun Works for warrenty repair. I may have him shorten the barrel and add a fixed Shark Brake to make barrel 18.5 inches to finish off the conversion. Here are some PICS to see what I have don. Shoot any gun first before you do any work, I learned the hard way.

Rick

Saiga_121.jpg

saiga_back.jpg

saiga_left.jpg

It was just a front grip I had, but to tell the truth I kind of like it. Fills the hand nice, can move or remove by twisting the bottom nut and comes off in 5 seconds. Also has room inside for spare parts or batteries. I sent you a PM about the Ace stock.

rick

How easy was the Alumahyde? I beat up the finish on my S12 pretty badly when I was converting it, and I'd really like to refinish it.

I've never done any refinishing before, and I don't have a lot of equipment for that sort of thing. I have a pretty serious compressor for automotive tools, but that's about it.

I'm trying to decide what the easiest/best method would be for refinishing my saiga without spending a lot of money on tools I'll only use once.

How easy was the Alumahyde? I beat up the finish on my S12 pretty badly when I was converting it, and I'd really like to refinish it.

I've never done any refinishing before, and I don't have a lot of equipment for that sort of thing. I have a pretty serious compressor for automotive tools, but that's about it.

I'm trying to decide what the easiest/best method would be for refinishing my saiga without spending a lot of money on tools I'll only use once.

I soaked mine in degreaser, then gave it the Krylon touch. It looks fine.

Thanks for the comments. Been welding since I was 10 on the farm, but that was arc welding. Below is a pic of the "Raw" weld before the grinding and buff work. Key is that the Tig will bond 2 peices without burning through the material if you set it right and keep the bead moving. Trust me i am a novice at Tig, many guys run circles around me. But i needed to do this on the cheap, so i did it myself.

Did not lay the Duracoat on thick, that is Alumahyde II and used enough coats to cover the metal. Over weld spots you need a little extra for it to blend in with the un tempered metal. I bought 3 cans of aresol cans from Brownell's for $10.00 a can. Did not even use 1 can on this job. First time using it and was very easy to use, used a hair dryer to temp the metal and dry the coats. Time will tell if it stands up to abuse, and I abuse my toys! I also have used Norrell's Molycoat Semi-Black with a cheap airbush. You have to bake that finish on after application, not a tough deal and I have it on my MP5K and I like it very much.

I welded the rear HK sight from the inside, so no weld lines to see from the outside. One question, with the "Vodka Specials", is the recoil harsher than when the gun is ported correctly? I ask because when I finally shot it, is was a rather punishing event!

Also added a pic of my HK MP5K with the Norrell's Moly, it's a SBR with a Trident suppressor.

Rick

IMG_0052.JPG

HK_night.jpg

LOL! "(May go with Matte Black next time), NEXT time - these are like Lay's potato chips, you can't just have one! Very nice work on the S12, I really like those HK sights. I got to shoot a full auto MP5 at an indoor gun range in Houston once. I never would have believed 9mm could raise the muzzle up as quick as it did if I wouldn't have done it. Holy Schnieke. Impressive toys there!

I have 5 AK's and this the first one I have taken a welder to and cut on one, kind of fun! Once you get over the fact you can fix most screw ups you might do, the modifications are endless and fun. I have yet to press any barrels out and head space, but now looking at adding a Galil style left side safety, got to cut the bottom of receiver to slot it. I now feel comfortable working on the guns.

Next up is to cut back barrel and add a brake.

The foward grip will have to be subject to some abuse to see how it holds up. I would like to go to a rail type foream though, more like a quad rail.

Rick

To tell the truth, I am not sold on the handguard eithet. I would like to go with either a quadrail or a Galil with a couple of rails and add my Tango Down FVG. I have time to think as the gun is going off for the gas hole warrenty repair.

Rick