Cobra Bullpup S-12

This is a work in progress that is very near completion. Still planning to add a full length rail along the top so I can use flip up sights and hopefully have them co-witness with a red dot. The Krebs sight that's on here now is just too low to really use comfortably.

I may also do something a little different with the stock to shorten the LOP a little more. It's actually quite comfortable to me where it is though, and I'm only 5' 6".

The idea here was to get a functional bullpup design, using all readily available bolt on parts, with some modifications...and a little of Cobra's Black Magic! :devil:

I want to make these available as kits that can be bought from Cobra's Customs and a few dealers, and used to convert any regular stock S-12 into an awesome bullpup.

And without further ado, the obligatory photos.... :smoke:

post-1293-1246335608_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335625_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335639_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335689_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335700_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335711_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335772_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335828_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335843_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335868_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335891_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335916_thumb.jpg

:super:

post-1293-1246335742_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1246335755_thumb.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you may have done it this time..Nice job. Really interested in the range report, so keep us posted. Do you have any idea of a target price at this point or still too soon?

I have no idea yet, but it will probably not be much different in price than that other kit that's almost ready now. Need to try to stay competitive....still more work to do and parts to make, then range testing. It hand cycles great now, and the charging handle is easy to operate over the top left handed. All the mags and drum will lock into it with one small exception...the best mags out there! Unfortunately the factory eight rounders have more curve to them than any other S-12 mag, and without further mods to the PG, are just slightly too far forward at the bottom to clear. That's no big deal to fix though if someone just had to use those. Hell, most people don't even have any. The drum is also quite uncomfortable to reach around and get a good grip on the PG. I found a way around that for shooting it though, and it will also probably be better once I get the VFG on there.

Have you thought about replacing the RH charging handle with a LH charging handle, (and modding the receiver cover to make it work)? That seems like it would solve a few problems with the design and it'd be a lot more comfortable to use.

To do that you'd either need people to send you their bolt carriers and receiver covers for modification, or make your own and add them to the kit. It'd add to the price without a doubt, but I think there'd be a lot of interest. Using a RH charging handle with a bullpup design just looks like a pain in the ass.

<snip> and the charging handle is easy to operate over the top left handed.

Have you thought about replacing the RH charging handle with a LH charging handle, <snip>

I suspect that adding a "lightning bolt" or "galil style charging handle" will be an exercise left up to the owner. As Cobra says, it works fine for him the way it is.

We keep wishlisting stuff to this "kit" and nobody'll be able to afford to buy it.

Cobra....when do you sleep?

neat-o gun. I want one.

Cobras don't have eyelids...lol. :devil:

I don't really see much of a need for a left side charging handle myself. Just not my thing to reinvent the wheel that much on the classic AK design. It really is very easy to operate the charging handle by reaching your left hand over the top and hitting the oversized knob on it, especially if your bolt and carrier have been modified to work much smoother.

Like nalioth said, if the customer wants that, there are already some available from other vendors.

Once we get setup to receive guns from customers, we will be able to do those mods for them though.

I just thought that a LH charging handle would help a bullpup setup even more than a standard PG/triggergroup Saiga setup. :unsure:

Once you start accepting full conversion restoration work on stock S-12's, all you'd need to do is cut the charging handle off the right side of the bolt carrier, weld it on to the left side of the bolt carrier, and cut a slot to allow it's operation into the receiver cover. I don't have the machinery to do that myself, else I would, (even without the bullpup setup).

Any estimated ETA on when you'll start offering such services? I'm seriously considering buying another S-12 and I can't think of many other vendors I'd rather have restore that shotgun, Cobra. Your work seems very clean, and carefully done. :up:

Pretty cool. My first thought was "How can you rock-n-lock the mags in?", but I see you answered that a few posts down.

By just looking at it, I thought for sure that grip would cause problems. I've got a VFG on my S12, mounted pretty far back (my preference) and mag changes can be a pain at times. But speed is not necessity for me with my S12, so I deal with it.

Howzabouts some video, when she's done?

Now that is the very definition of sexy!

I would definitely encourage you to make a really short LOP. For me, at least, that config would be an entry gun, and bullpups can be a real pain for entry because of the naturally longer LOP.

Despite my size (6'3") I much prefer short bases during entry.

Can't wait for the range report!

This would be "cut the tang" application I assume?

Plate weld?

I would wait to hear from him, but it looks like there was enough stock left to keep the tang. I'm sure the end user could cut the tang and reduce LOP even further.

Thats the berries.

Now the final user could add a magwell and...... viola!

GJ Cobra.

Bingo, my thoughts exactly.... Soon there will be a good magwell on the market that will work great with it. But there's definitely room for mag changes as is. I can also adjust it to have even more room to accommodate the factory 8s, and give more swing room, once I play around some more with the stock. I just wanted something easy and right now, so I modded an Ace Modular with a pignose screwed right to an internal DPH block. It does have the tang cut but you could use an external block for the same effect with a butt attached straight to it, without the pignose I have on it now. I'm confident I can get the LOP down to between 14" and 16" with just a little work, but it really isn't that bad to me now at 17", and I don't have long arms. Still playing with it though....

Post Apoc, no estimate yet on the FFL. I'm getting ready to buy a safe for the business now, and awaiting paperwork from the BATF.

Looks like another winner from Cobra! I don't really dig on the bullpups myself, but you're prototype looks pretty kick-ass!

Thanks bro! I never have like bullpups myself, but wanted to answer the call from all these guys who are just chomping at the bit to have one for an S-12. It wasn't til I started messing with this one, and felt how well balanced it is, that it started to grow on me. It's pretty neat actually. It feels like an SBS but without all the hoops you have to jump through, and can easily be operated with just one arm. Nifty... :smoke:

Will I actually have been trying to get a website together for a long time now. Next time you're down in that craphole at the bottom of the page, please give that numbers jerk a hardy piss off for me....lol. What a tard. :rolleyes:

Mine usually always go forward and out so I don't think that will be a problem, That charging handle might be kinda scary doing it's thing right in front of your face though. I'm hoping that won't be an issue either though...

I should be test firing it soon so I'll be able to answer those questions better then.....if I survive....lol.

J/K!