I read over mec_22's post about cutting the charging handle and putting it on the left side and decided to give it a try. While I was at it I wanted to make the BHO more functional for my use. I figure why have a BHO if you have to pull the handle back to chamber a round? So I added a piece of 1/8 x 1/4 cold drawn steel bar stock to the bolt carrier in front of the old BHO tab. That moved it about 5/8 of an inch. I still needed another 1/2 or so just to be behind the round so I added some 14 gauge hot rolled steel sheet to the BHO plate and extended it about another 7/8 of an inch. That put me hopefully far enough behind the round to where when I make a bend at the bottom of the BHO lever I can release the bolt with my trigger finger and have enough force to chamber a round. I'm still converting so I have only done a mach up test to make sure nothing binds, but hopefully I get my retention plate from Dinzag soon so I can get her assembled and down for paint. I'll probably assemble it with the shepherds crook just to make sure it works properly. But any ways on to the pics, keep in mind that I haven't finished grinding and buffing yet. Let me know what you guys think.

post-19224-1247395697_thumb.jpg

post-19224-1247395722_thumb.jpg

post-19224-1247395743_thumb.jpg

post-19224-1247395753_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure I follow exactly how it'll work.

Basically, the extended BHO plate and tab on the bolt carrier, bring the bolt back when locked open like in pic 3 and 4. Then the BHO button that sticks out the bottom of the receiver, I want to bend so I can release it with my trigger finger chambering a round. Once I get the retainer plate I will post a video. I can't seem to figure out the shepherd crook.

slip the open end over the hammer pin, if it the metal plate, slide the trigger pin through the hole, other wise the wire goes under the trigger pin, and insert the safety to lock it all in.

Are you talking about the pin that is V shaped with a bend at the end or the long stock one with a coil on it? I have both but just want to be sure. Is one easier than the other? I wish I had my retainer plate, this would be much easier.

I wish I had my retainer plate, this would be much easier.

Honestly, you need to know how to do it with the few different crooks, the plate, modded springs, E clips, cotters, etc, etc, etc...

I would not think that someone would want to bring their peice in to a smith every time they needed the retainer r&r.

Bring it by if you can't get it, I slip it on for ya, and show you.

Cool, I'll give it a try tonight when I get home and if I can't get it I'll give you a call. Thanks Daniel.

Any time.

slip the open end over the hammer pin, if it the metal plate, slide the trigger pin through the hole, other wise the wire goes under the trigger pin, and insert the safety to lock it all in.

Are you talking about the pin that is V shaped with a bend at the end or the long stock one with a coil on it? I have both but just want to be sure. Is one easier than the other? I wish I had my retainer plate, this would be much easier.

Is it wrong to say i dont know? i was mostly talking about the standard Tapco style retaining plate, which i greatly prefer, but included the wire spring thats included with every ak parts kit (i dont know what its for originaly :angel: but once you cut the extra off, it works great for a pin retainer.) the concept, no matter what you use is the same, each pin has hase a groove on one side of it, you need to put something in that groove to keep the pin from backing out, and you can use the safety to hold the end of whatever you put in those two grooves. Its pretty easy once you think about it, and hammer pin first is the easiest way to do it, with any retaining device. Im not sure which one is v shaped though, so good luck :D

Sweet, I got my retaining plate. I will have to try the crooks first to see how they work as Glockmonger said, I don't want to have to take it to a smith if the retaining plate craps out. Thanks guys. I'll get a vid up as soon as I can. Here's the two I am talking about.

post-19224-1247554070_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet, I got my retaining plate. I will have to try the crooks first to see how they work as Glockmonger said, I don't want to have to take it to a smith if the retaining plate craps out. Thanks guys. I'll get a vid up as soon as I can. Here's the two I am talking about.

That avatar is horrible.

That avatar is horrible.

LOL thanks

post-2775-1248297604_thumb.jpg

Ya I got it. This pic would have helped but it only took a few tries. Thanks

here is an avatar for you 339846208.gif

Ewe

Well it's almost there. I have to bend the BHO plate and cut a little off of the receiver so it will fit threw. Maybe I'll just weld a little metal tab on the plate. Other than that, fit and function seems good. Should have a video up this coming week of it actually working. :smoke:

What is that from?

I was told; Texas chain saw mas-

The guy whom told me said, She pulled it out from her choochie then after she ventilated her head, a cop pics it up and puts it in his ankle holster.

But that's what I am told.

Whew, got it done. Here's a short video. Sorry it's so crappy, but I have a crappy camera. :rolleyes:

Cute....Now wash your hands you dirty little f*cker. :haha:

LOL, oh there clean. I have to wash my tattoo every 4-6 hours. With gun modificating in between. :big_smile:

What is that from?

I was told; Texas chain saw mas-

The guy whom told me said, She pulled it out from her choochie then after she ventilated her head, a cop pics it up and puts it in his ankle holster.

But that's what I am told.

yep...opening seen....God did Bless Texas after all

Well it worked perfect, not a single problem. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Now I'm just waiting for my friend who did the camera work so I can post another video of it in action. Only a couple more things and I'm done (for now) :devil:

• 1 month later...