de-slop your stock config Saiga trigger

I have with 2 set screws and about 20 minutes time removed all over travel and slop from the stock config Saiga trigger group if there is any interest ill post pics and a "How-To"

i myself wanted, if the worst happens, to be able to make my saiga go back to looking as inoffensive and "vanilla" as possible. not so easy after a convert job to "ak" style trigger and furniture

sometimes hiding in plain sight is the only way to go in these uncertain obama-esque times.

It still has the trigger linkage/lever-doohicky. I can't imagine it getting a whole lot better, no matter what you do to it. It's still not going to come close, in comparison, to a regular AK FCG.

How noticeable is the improvement? I know a lot of guys here want to improve their trigger, without moving it forward.

Personally, I wouldn't let the "what-ifs" stop you from converting your gun. If they get banned, why do you think you'll be exempt from it? Simply because you didn't move your FCG forward and throw a PG on it? Doubtful. The only difference (in their eyes) would be the presence of a PG. If it ever comes to that, throw a thumbhole on it, and you'll still have a WAY better trigger than the factory job.

No offense to you. Just sayin'.

I have with 2 set screws and about 20 minutes time removed all over travel and slop from the stock config Saiga trigger group if there is any interest ill post pics and a "How-To"

i myself wanted, if the worst happens, to be able to make my saiga go back to looking as inoffensive and "vanilla" as possible. not so easy after a convert job to "ak" style trigger and furniture

sometimes hiding in plain sight is the only way to go in these uncertain obama-esque times.

I'd be very interested in a 'pics and a "How-To"'.

Thanks!

Later...

Brewster...

It still has the trigger linkage/lever-doohicky. I can't imagine it getting a whole lot better, no matter what you do to it. It's still not going to come close, in comparison, to a regular AK FCG.

How noticeable is the improvement? I know a lot of guys here want to improve their trigger, without moving it forward.

Personally, I wouldn't let the "what-ifs" stop you from converting your gun. If they get banned, why do you think you'll be exempt from it? Simply because you didn't move your FCG forward and throw a PG on it? Doubtful. The only difference (in their eyes) would be the presence of a PG. If it ever comes to that, throw a thumbhole on it, and you'll still have a WAY better trigger than the factory job.

No offense to you. Just sayin'.

its not a matter of being exempted we all know they will do what they will do. BUT as in the clinton ban many areas that were freindly or at least toloerant of "military looking" firearms became down right hostile to them once the clinton ban came into effect. PDs that could care less what you were shooting at the range suddenly crawled all up in your ass if you had anything with a pistol grip and a big magazine sticking out. The OTHER reason i didnt convert was simply by leaving the FGC where it was it forces more weight to be forward of the balance point between my hands and IMHO helps control muzzle rise signifigantly.

As to improvement i have removed ALL trigger slop. my engagement range between initial trigger pressure and sear release is 1/4 or less ( i havent measured it) i did NOT lighten the pull so its not unsafe. it merely moves exactally as far as it needs to to release the sear now and NO farther. it does NOT feel mushy any more.

Edited by Gothiq1

I'd be very interested in a 'pics and a "How-To"'.

Thanks!

Later...

Brewster...

this weekend (7/18-7/19) i will post the pics and organize a step by step for everyone.

tools needed are a hand drill, dremil tool or griding wheel or hand file and a hand tap.

takes 20-45 mins depending on the tools you have

BTW 1 half of the procedure can be used on stock AK FCGs to improve the trigger pull

i developed it back in the day when i was a major AK head, haveing since moved on to the FAL im glad my old trick still works

(not dissin the AK just wanted a bigger bullet and a butter smooth recoil :D )

As to improvement i have removed ALL trigger slop. my engagement range between initial trigger pressure and sear release is 1/4 or less ( i havent measured it) i did NOT lighten the pull so its not unsafe. it merely moves exactally as far as it needs to to release the sear now and NO farther. it does NOT feel mushy any more.

Entirely getting rid of the slop is pretty impressive. In your opinion, how do you feel it compares to a regular AK FCG?

I think a lot of people could benefit from your "How-To", as I've seen numerous posts of "I don't want to convert.....but how can I improve the trigger pull?" over the years.

Entirely getting rid of the slop is pretty impressive. In your opinion, how do you feel it compares to a regular AK FCG?

I think a lot of people could benefit from your "How-To", as I've seen numerous posts of "I don't want to convert.....but how can I improve the trigger pull?" over the years.

1 i SWEAR ill post the how to this weekend! i only have a few mins each workday to hit the forum, hence my replies but still no how to LOL

2 ok to answer your Q, IMHO the AK trigger is not a bad set up, its merely has too much travel before sear let off. that plus rough metal bearing on rough metal makes it feel kinda crunchy to down right gritty depending on the wear and who made your particular AK.

my mod elminates ALL unnessecery trigger travel that can be SAFELY removed (no hair trigger for me thanks) it requires, on a traditional AK, 1 hole to be drilled and tapped and a set screw installed with some red locktite and some mod to the safty lever to allow for the takeup. on the siaga style it requires a second hole drilled and tapped and a second screw to deal with the extra slop added by the second linkage.

you can theoretically mod this so that when your heart beats the gun will fire. but i dont advise this.

as to how it feels. imagine the instant you put pressure on the trigger the sear begins its movemeant off the hammer spur, no hesitation no mushy feel.

it will all make sense this weekend and I imagine a few of the more mechanically minded folks have thought of something similar already ( or will kick themselfs that they did not)

Edited by Gothiq1

1 i SWEAR ill post the how to this weekend! i only have a few mins each workday to hit the forum, hence my replies but still no how to LOL

2 ok to answer your Q, IMHO the AK trigger is not a bad set up, its merely has too much travel before sear let off. that plus rough metal bearing on rough metal makes it feel kinda crunchy to down right gritty depending on the wear and who made your particular AK.

my mod elminates ALL unnessecery trigger travel that can be SAFELY removed (no hair trigger for me thanks) it requires, on a traditional AK, 1 hole to be drilled and tapped and a set screw installed with some red locktite and some mod to the safty lever to allow for the takeup. on the siaga style it requires a second hole drilled and tapped and a second screw to deal with the extra slop added by the second linkage.

you can theoretically mod this so that when your heart beats the gun will fire. but i dont advise this.

as to how it feels. imagine the instant you put pressure on the trigger the sear begins its movemeant off the hammer spur, no hesitation no mushy feel.

it will all make sense this weekend and I imagine a few of the more mechanically minded folks have thought of something similar already ( or will kick themselfs that they did not)

Sounds good man. Looking forward to the write-up/how-to, so the next time I see someone asking "How do I improve the trigger pull in my unconverted Saiga?", I can link them to this thread.........................

...............if you ever get the damn info up!

:haha:

I keeeeed, I keeeeed.

ok How - To is almost done, got the pics done and am working through the step by step so as to eliminate mistakes and any confusion

pictures are a bit blurry cause my camara sucks (money saved on cheap ass digicam goes into ammo budget :D)

but here's a video showing how nice the new trigger works

How-to set to be posted by EST late ish 10pm or so on saturday the 18th

ABSOLUTE date by 19th

i want it to be easy to understand and not cause anyone to damage their gun