Saiga 12 FSB --> Saiga 12K FSB

I am trying to turn my s12 into the Saiga 12K as much as possible. I got the AK rear sight block from Dinzag (Thanks for the quick turn around time!), and am now working on the front sight block (FSB). This is what I have so far.

I purchased a Krinkov front sight base from AA-OK.com. The krinkov FSB is more compact than the standard AKM.

as3a.jpg

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

After a little dremel work, this is what it looks like currently mocked-up.

IMG_7323.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

Currently the top of the "wings" of the sight sit 1.75" above the barrel. In another thread it was stated the Dinzag FSB sits 1.55" above the barrel. I am now considering whether or not I should lower the front sight by the extra 0.20" or does it look and work fine where it is currently.

Any input would be helpful!

Thanks

Edited by lokmeup

I would shoot it like that first (with slugs)...and see how close you are within your room for adjustment. You can temporarily mount it with JB or something (I know...don't hit me...lol!) just to see how it lines up. Or you can get a laser bore sighter and check it that way.....or just put it in a vice and look at a target down through the open bore with the bolt assy out....

• 1 month later...

KS-KFSB.jpg

I followed your advice and temporarily JBWelded the front sight to the gas block and took it to the 25yard range. Unfortunately I was only able to fire two test rounds before the JB gave up the ghost and had to call it quits for the day. With the rear leaf set all the way back on A, the first shot was 16" low. I adjusted the front sight for the lowest it could go and hit 7" low.

If I would have adjusted the rear leaf to one of the higher ranges it might have hit center, but that would have been the full compensation at the closest distance. Not ideal, nor worth the effort. If the front sight was machined lower shaving the windage adjuster in half it would have worked, but then it would not look as AK as i would like. The above picture clearly shows the difference between the rear sight leaf and the front sight.

So... I went with the Izzy FSB. I will post pics when everything is done.

IZHMASH FSB vs DINZAG FSB

LOOKS

The Izzy looks like it belongs on the Saiga 100%. It has the same machining marks, same finish, and looks 100% AK original. The Dinzag is missing some extra machining to more closely match the original AK look.

WEIGHT

The Izzy FSB is lighter as it has had more material removed. The Dinzag FSB is more stout.

FIT

The Izzy slides loosely onto the barrel showing the low Russian tolerances. The Dinzag FSB on the other hand demonstrates American tolerances, requires to be lightly tapped into place, and feels much more solid.

INSTALL

The Izzy set screw is ABSOLUTELY worthless. It WILL strip and come loose. The Izzy FSB needs to be welded in place. Dinzag's set screws work as expected.

EXTRAS

The Dinzag FSB comes with a pin like other AK's to clock the muzzle attachment. VERY nice touch!

CONCLUSION

IF the Dinzag FSB had the extra machining to more closely match the original AKM design, it would win hands down. As it is the choice is up to the purchaser: the more original looking AK FSB with the added complication of a welded install of the Izzy, or easier installation, tighter tolerances and not exactly 100% looking AKM Dinzag FSB.

Izhmash FSB

1549781.jpg

Dinzag FSB

fsbs12ts_31.jpg

Whether you go with the Izhmash or Dinzag, your S-12 will look great; very "authentic". Personally, I chose to go with Krebs sights for my S-12. They're cheaper, much easier to install, and give me a ghost-ring sight picture, which is superior to the stock AK set-up, (basic pistol sights). Imo the stock AK rear sight's hand-adjustability for elevation makes sense on a rifle.. not so much a shotgun. Your effective accurate range with 12-gauge slugs is ~100 yards.. there's no need to adjust the rear sight for that. That hand-adjustability for elevation is the only advantage that the stock AK sights offer over the Krebs sights, (the Krebs front sight is adjustable for elevation with a tool). Ghost-ring is a better, more reflexive sight picture, especially effective on a shotgun. Just mho, of course.

Regardless, your S-12 will look more like the original Russkie military model, and there's something to be said for the amount of work/machining it takes to achieve that. :up:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Okay... Here is the follow-up as to what I finally ended up doing with the FSB.

I scrapped the idea of having the KS-K "like" front sight. I completely filed off the front bead sight, filled-in the imperfections with JBweld, and quickly shot it with rattle can for now. It came out pretty good considering. I plan on redoing the finish once the S12 is complete.

As you can see I went with the Izhmash factory FSB. I modified it a little by following the Dinzag design, drilled a hole into the front of the sight to add an indexing pin. The drill bit used to make the hole was cut down and used as the pin. The spring is from a ball point pin (I know GHETTO, but it works!)

IMG_7420.jpg

IMG_7389.jpg

The S12 is still a work in progress... Eventually, we'll get an AK-100 stock/handguard and Izzy pistol grip on there. Still thinking about the Russian magwell...

Edited by lokmeup