Good load for my Saiga

Worked on some powders and loads this afternoon. Started out around 26.0 of BLC-2 and finally ended up down at 24.0 and went up just a tad to 24.1 gr of Hodgdon BLC-2. Federal case with CCI primers. Sierra FMJ Boat Tail 55 gr bullet. Shot a very decent group with 3 cutting the same hole in a group of 5. Came back in the house, loaded up some more and shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards. It was 0.582 inches center to center. 9 power scope., but I was please with the size of the group. I have also heard some great things about Benchmark and H322. Unfortunately I don't have but the BLC-(2) to work with at the moment, times being what they are.

So, I just thought I'd post a picture on here to encourage anyone that is looking that with good loads and good cleaning with copper bore solvents, that good groups are there. Not "great" 3 holes in one ragged hole, but decent for such a stamped receiver type of firearm.

post-19094-1247979958_thumb.jpg

Picture taken 7-18-09 in front of the house and about 15 feet from my range. Sure is nice to have a range right close to the house, but the little dogs really don't care for it. They wished I'd mover about 200 yards further away... LOL

EDITED: Note, I changed the grain of weigh, not because it was excessive (24.6 to 24.1) because I checked the calibration on my Lyman digital scale today and also checked it after calibration against my Lyman older balance beam scale. The grains that the powder charger is throwing is right at 24.1 gr of BLC-2, and not the 24.6 I had earlier posted.

Edited by Darth AkSarBen

Heavier bullets might work better. I currenly only have 50 and 55 gr bullets, and the 55 gr is a boat tail. Finances, and availability have limited what I have to work with at the moment. I would like to try some different powders and some heavier bullets as well.

I had to back up a bit from where I was shooting to get to the 100 yards for my target. It's give or take 1-2 yards, but close enough for me. I doubt that 105 yards will be much different from 95 yards for group size.

thank you for the pic and notes.....

You're welcome! And I've mentioned in other forum sites specific to the AK that Saiga imports brand new guns here in the states, and not only that, but Russian American Armory Company has cusotmoer service in Indiana, AND they have state side warranty repair work, if needed, at Cadiz Gun Works. Your care and presence of Saiga firearms is most valuable. They, like a lot of other rifles, are capable of decent accuracy, if given enough time, attention and proper bullets/loads. This is my opinion. ALL rifles whip and vibrate upon shooting, some call it harmonics. The trick is to get it to vibrate to the same exact spot every time the bullet leaves the muzzle. Buggered up muzzles can really affect accuracy as well, as I found out years ago with a Savage .223 you could barely hit a paper plate with at 50 yards. Rifling was defective at the very end, causing a LOT of gas to escape on one side, effecting the bullet and tumbling it. Cut 3/4 inch off the end, and recrownend the barrel (all done by gunsmith) and it shot one hole groups after that.

Thanks for the information and the encouragement. Nice to know that kind of accuracy may be on tap. My .223 has only been to the range once; but even with iron sights, it seemed to want to shoot. It was outshooting a pair of Mini-14s on every set of groups fired....even the new heavy barrel 580-series Mini that cost me over $700 :( I've got some H322 I'd like to try when I get some optics mounted.

It would be great having a range just out the door....almost as good as living on a lake.

Bob

Better load!

The BLC-2 was needing magnum primers to fire the powder efficiently and I just bought 300 the other day. So, I looked for something other than spherical (ball) powder to use with my CCI 400 small rifle primers. I bought some Hodgdon Benchmark and tried them on my Sierra 55gr FMJ BT bullets. Federal cases, once fired and resized. 24.5 gr of Benchmark and loaded them up last night. Tried them right after noon today. RESULTS below. VERY encouraging!! Group size at 100 yards is 0.116" near as I can measure. Width of the ONE hole is 0.219" Shot the first one, and the mail lady pulled up and had a package from Midway USA for me with some reloading stuff. Then fired the other 2 shots. My wife was on hand and was pretty impressed, but not nearly as I was, nor the folks over at On Target in Kalamazoo that looked at the target and photo copied it. Rifles are rifles and each one is as unique as we are as individuals. Each rifle's barrel with it's rifling, twist rate, and make up, make it a one of a kind rifle. Really, most rifles are way better than we give them credit for, but sometimes they just need a little fiddling with to find that right load.... that right bullet "IT" likes. This 55 gr FMJ BT GameKing of Sierra seems to be very well liked out of my rifle. I had taken the scope off and had remounted it and the group is off to the left and up. That's an easy fix. Usually I notice if I remove the scope, for one reason or another, that getting it back on, that the rifle has lost it's zero in the process. I'll have to find some 55 gr or 52 gr boat tail spire points or hollow points. That will give Mr. Willey Coyote some reasons to worry out there to 200 yards.

First picture with me holding the rifle, while my daughter took the picture. Nikon D80 camera Nikon 55-200 VR lens

post-19094-1248568668_thumb.jpg

Sam took the next picture with a little more concentration on the group.

post-19094-1248568806_thumb.jpg

Then, later this evening, I set the target up and took a bit closer detail of the group.

post-19094-1248568826_thumb.jpg

I don't think I'll trade it for a Ruger, nor an AR at this time. ;)

That is one nice group, and I'm glad to hear of it, I think I'm going to bookmark this to email the next person who tells me they would never buy an ak type firearm because its just too inaccurate.

Any chance you are going to work over a load for the 7.62x39 next? I saw you mention something about it in the thread that led me to this one, but id really like to see what someone like yourself would be able to do with that round, so us fledglings might learn a thing or two. :D

Thanks for posting, I'm surprised I didnt see this earlier.

Thanks for the compliment!! As you notice, there are 2 separate targets, shot on 2 separate days, with different powders. Even the one with the BLC-2 above is not a bad target. If one can post 1 target that's good, that's one thing, but 2 targets shot on different day with the same rifle, probably wasn't just accidental. :)

I have heard great things about the .308 Winchester Saiga. I have never owned or shot a .308, so am looking forward to it someday.

• 3 weeks later...

Worked on a load last night of 25.0 gr Hodgdon Benchmark, with a 55 gr JHP BT Sierra GameKing (not Speer) I took picture and then realized that it was not the Speer bullets but the Sierra bullets, so rather than re-take the pictures, I edited on the target and figured I'd just mention it in here. 100 yards, and 6 shots. Normally I shot 3 shot groups testing, or a 5 shot group for point of impact, but last night I ended up making one extra bullet, so thought.. what the heck. Group on the furthest holes measured 0.891" center - center. It seems to open up a bit more with an extra .5 grain of powder, and it could also be to the fact that I'm shooting hollow point as opposed to FMJ (same bullet mfg, Sierra). Another thing is these hollow points don't have a cannelure for crimping lightly, so I probably don't have an "exact" crimp as I did before.

223_saiga_8-18-09.jpg

I'm off a bit from the bullseye, but I had the scope and mount off of the rifle the other day, shooting with iron sights, and when I put it back on, I tried to adjust a bit down and over to the right from a previous target I shot and over corrected a bit on the down part, but the L-R windage seems pretty good.

Worked on a load last night of 25.0 gr Hodgdon Benchmark, with a 55 gr JHP BT Sierra GameKing (not Speer) I took picture and then realized that it was not the Speer bullets but the Sierra bullets, so rather than re-take the pictures, I edited on the target and figured I'd just mention it in here. 100 yards, and 6 shots. Normally I shot 3 shot groups testing, or a 5 shot group for point of impact, but last night I ended up making one extra bullet, so thought.. what the heck. Group on the furthest holes measured 0.891" center - center. It seems to open up a bit more with an extra .5 grain of powder, and it could also be to the fact that I'm shooting hollow point as opposed to FMJ (same bullet mfg, Sierra). Another thing is these hollow points don't have a cannelure for crimping lightly, so I probably don't have an "exact" crimp as I did before.

223_saiga_8-18-09.jpg

I'm off a bit from the bullseye, but I had the scope and mount off of the rifle the other day, shooting with iron sights, and when I put it back on, I tried to adjust a bit down and over to the right from a previous target I shot and over corrected a bit on the down part, but the L-R windage seems pretty good.

That is fantastic from a battle rifle!!! I have some AA2520 and Varget I'm gonna try. I hope I'm just as successful. Congrats!

Thanks!! I have some Varget but didn't use that because it is a compressed load. Thought I'd just use a faster burn powder and save the Varget for the .308 I'll get later on. BLC-2 works good, along with H335, but you need to use magnum primers for the spherical powder.

I full lenght resize. It is recommended for the auto loading rifles for them to function every time. If you had a bolt action you could get away with neck resizing only, as you can always use the strength of the cam action of the bolt to close on the round. Semi autos don't respond well to only neck sizing.

• 2 years later...