So now that I finally broke down and bought a camera, I can post pictures of what I did to my XD a few weeks ago. I took some Heavy Metal Polish (on the sound advice of the XDtalk forum) and a Dremel, then set to work for many hours on the barrel, trigger, take down lever, slide stop, grip safety, and some internal contact surfaces. Most of the polishing work went into the barrel and trigger, and the other parts I worked on just enough to get them shiny. I was going for an absolute mirror finish on the barrel, and I can tell that I would have gotten there eventually, but I got tired of polishing. The only other thing I did was fill in some engravings with a silver leaf pen. I just shot this thing yesterday, so it looks like the finish is going to hold up well. One of these days I'll sit down and buff it out again.

post-13378-1250879699_thumb.jpg

post-13378-1250879678_thumb.jpg

post-13378-1250879524_thumb.jpg

Looks like you did a nice job. The XD is the perfect size for my hand, I hope my next semi-auto pistol will be the XD-45.

Thanks. You may want to look into the XDM45, not just for the extra capacity but also the trigger is improved over the regular XD. That may save you the trouble of upgrading later, unless you like extra long, squishy trigger pulls. :ded: I was able to shoot mine for about 4 or 5 range trips before I couldn't stand it anymore.