Well after some trouble tracking down a Stainless steel tube cutting wheel I finally cut off my FSB. Its ready for threading or some sort of adapter. Thanks to Vjor for the idea to do this. It was much much easier than hacking away with my dremel. Just a note that the thread adapter that brownells sells for $6 will not fit on the Saiga barrel without being opened up a bit. This was very simple and took about 2 min. I got the SS tubing cutter wheel from grainger but I think you can get them at a plumbing supply store. It cost me $7 If you have a tubing cutter

post-1262-1110330587_thumb.jpg

post-1262-1110330684_thumb.jpg

Edited by stokstad

Well I noticed my thread adapter that I got was just a C hair small so I decided to just sand a little out with my dremel. I got it to fit But now unfortunatly I think its not straight :( So can some one tell me whos got that threading kit for rent again?

post-1262-1110376024_thumb.jpg

Edited by stokstad

Wow! That is genius. I never thought of using a cutter for stainless steel. Looks like you were able to cut it back fairly far as well. Too bad that set screw nut doesent line up straight. I would love to see that bad boy threaded! Good luck, keep us posted!

I was thinking about the Dragunov style one that AA-OK has listed. I am thinking about transforming my gun into a poor mans 7.62x39 dragunov with that brake and either a choate or ATI drag stock. I have the 20" barrel on my gun so I think it would look pretty good. Unfortunatly they are out of stock on those ones. I found only one other place that lists them and they have long been out of stock which sucks because they are $10 cheaper than AA-OK. Looks like I may have to go with the ak74 style.

The problem I see, if you enlarge something, it have to be center, if not

the bullet can hit the side of what ever you enlarge if the adapter does not align

with the barrel, that is why people use a late to make sure things are center.

If you hone with a drill type set up it keeps it round and centered...like honing a cars cylinder. Would work for small amounts of material removal.

That would definatlty work better than what I did. It isnt much that you have to remove. Its worth a shot.

Edited by stokstad

Yup. Nomatter what your using to enlarge the piece (honing tool, drill bit, center mill) The piece should be clamped down to the tabe on your drill press or mill and the center of it established before you try to ream it out.

I am surprised that nobody has yet suggested packing the piece full of JB weld and eyeballing it straight. :rolleyes:

Please keep us posted on what you end up using.

Wow! That is genius. I never thought of using a cutter for stainless steel. Looks like you were able to cut it back fairly far as well. Too bad that set screw nut doesent line up straight. I would love to see that bad boy threaded! Good luck, keep us posted!

I could have cut back even a little further if I wanted too.

Well I noticed my thread adapter that I got was just a C hair small so I decided to just sand a little out with my dremel. I got it to fit But now unfortunatly I think its not straight :( So can some one tell me whos got that threading kit for rent again?

Look in here.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=225976

I carefully used a file on my Saiga to remove the barrel sleeve. I haven't threaded the barrel and have a threaded adapter with a Krinkov style brake. I shot the rifle with the brake and noticed lower recoil until the brake and adapter flew of the rifle. I found the muzzle brake about 20 yards downrange. I tightened the adapter and used thread locking compound on the threads and super glue to the barrel.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Die terrorist scum!!

• 4 months later...

couldn't you just use a basic pin on 74 style brake?

with the sleeve out of the way it seems all you'd have to do is slide it on and drill a pin hole through the fsb.

if the saiga fsb is the same width as a regular ak fsb then it should work.

i'm a cheap ass and the 74 style pin ons for $15-$20 work fine for me. never had any problems.

i may just try this out!