Kalinka Optics - Any experience?

Have any of you bought AK optics from Kalinka? I'm thinking of picking this POSP Zoom Scope... up from them. Before I buy, I figured, what the hell? Lets ask and see if any of you have used a zoom POSP or we've had enough group think to have determined the best POSP scope. This'll be used for a 7.62 Kvar converted Saiga and also a Maadi RPM.

Have any of you bought AK optics from Kalinka? I'm thinking of picking this POSP Zoom Scope... up from them. Before I buy, I figured, what the hell? Lets ask and see if any of you have used a zoom POSP or we've had enough group think to have determined the best POSP scope. This'll be used for a 7.62 Kvar converted Saiga and also a Maadi RPM.

Kalinka is a quality honest dealer. I bought the POSP 4-24 and it is a really great scope, it installs right on my SGL-20 rail.

Wish I had ordered with Kalinka instead of East Wave Products Inc. I submitted an order and made the payment for a POSP 4x24 on Feb 4th and still haven't received it yet. :(

Eastwave ships from Belarus. My order took a long time too. I ordered Feb 2 and received on the 27th. They will give you a tracking number if you request it.

Doug Ford (aka Tantal) blows'em all out of the water.

He may be good, but it is annoying to have to email him (and then wait days) to find out whether items are available and how much they cost. That stuff should be automated on his website.

• Like 4

I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to price items without sending an email.

What are his prices like compared to the competition? I assume they are higher but you get the satifaction of knowing your credit card number isn't floating around the Eastern Bloc.

• Like 2

I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to price items without sending an email.

What are his prices like compared to the competition? I assume they are higher but you get the satifaction of knowing your credit card number isn't floating around the Eastern Bloc.

I don't know about Kalinka, but EastWave accepts PayPal, so no danger of credit card misuse.

Doug Ford (aka Tantal) blows'em all out of the water.

He never has anything in stock anymore except odds and ends. At least thats the way it's been with the last 4 or 5 price lists I've got from him.

I ordered a POSP 4x24 from Eastwave. Took a while to get to the States, but very happy with the quality and price I paid...

Edited by Jpanzer

I received an email from Eastwave today with a tracking number. According to them, the scope was shipped on February 11 by registered mail. I checked online with USPS.com but no record was found.

How do you track a registered mail from Eastern Europe?

Thanks.

You should be getting your item soon. I ordered a PK-AS from them on Feb 9th and it showed up on Feb 26. I spoke with Eastwave and they quoted me an estimated wait of about 14-18 days via air mail. They stated that if I did not receive my package within that timeframe, to send him an email, and he would track it down.

I received an email from Eastwave today with a tracking number. According to them, the scope was shipped on February 11 by registered mail. I checked online with USPS.com but no record was found.

How do you track a registered mail from Eastern Europe?

Thanks.

You should be getting your item soon. I ordered a PK-AS from them on Feb 9th and it showed up on Feb 26. I spoke with Eastwave and they quoted me an estimated wait of about 14-18 days via air mail. They stated that if I did not receive my package within that timeframe, to send him an email, and he would track it down.

If the item is being sent from a European country than of course it will not have a USPS tracking number. You can go to the originating country's postal website and put in the tracking number there, or if they are using their equivalent of UPS then I'd ask them specifically what website can be used. I've tracked overseas packages that way.

From what I have read,everyone who ordered from East Wave got their orders. It sometimes just took a while. :rolleyes:

Don't they post on their site approx 2 week wait? Maybe i just read on other threads that is the wait time... Anyway, i sent an email to Kalinka asking when they would have an item in stock. He replied quickly with an estimate which turned out to be accurate. Their website updates in real time. Not sure why the above comment on immediate gratification was made but seemed kind of uncalled for. When the item did become available, Kalinka immediately notified me. I had a good experience and he keeps a wide range of scopes in stock. I have no complaints.

From what I have read,everyone who ordered from East Wave got their orders. It sometimes just took a while. :rolleyes:

Don't they post on their site approx 2 week wait? Maybe i just read on other threads that is the wait time... Anyway, i sent an email to Kalinka asking when they would have an item in stock. He replied quickly with an estimate which turned out to be accurate. Their website updates in real time. Not sure why the above comment on immediate gratification was made but seemed kind of uncalled for. When the item did become available, Kalinka immediately notified me. I had a good experience and he keeps a wide range of scopes in stock. I have no complaints.

The "immediate gratification" comment was in response to the immediately preceding comment over Doug Ford's non-interactive website.

. . but if the shoe fits . .

Thanks for posting this I m now very interested in these scopes...

First I am debating if I want 6x42 or 8x42. I know personal preference counts for a lot, however what would you guys recommend? I do the majority of my shooting at 25-100 yards and 200 on occasion so I am thinking 6x42 would be much better.

Second, I am debating German vs. Russian reticle. I know again this is preference but I am more confused on the specifics of it. Russian seems less distracting to me.

The 8x42 scopes are massive. That alone would keep me from putting one on an basic AK.

Reticle wise: I actually think the German reticle is less busy (I've used other scopes with that type) but I like the idea of the bullet drop chevrons on the regular POSP (although I think only the 4x24 scopes are properly calibrated for x39).

Thanks for posting this I m now very interested in these scopes...

First I am debating if I want 6x42 or 8x42. I know personal preference counts for a lot, however what would you guys recommend? I do the majority of my shooting at 25-100 yards and 200 on occasion so I am thinking 6x42 would be much better.

Second, I am debating German vs. Russian reticle. I know again this is preference but I am more confused on the specifics of it. Russian seems less distracting to me.

I read this in a sniper thread, both German and Russian snipers from WWII said they never used any scope over 6 power in their field work. And the 4 power was used the most.

I like my POSP 4-24 Russian scope, when I was a young kid years ago I bought a 6 power weaver scope for my 22 rifle, and it had a very limited field of view.

I remember someone telling me a 4 power scope would be a better choice. They were correct.

OK, so now it's between 4 and 6!

Looks like I'm gonna go with this one. Good choice?

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/ak-vepr-saiga-slr/posp-4x24-w-black-finish-400-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-ak-version.html

That's the scope I ordered,mine came with the German Reticle not the Russian one shown. It was not a real deal killer to me, as I don't need the extra range items the Russian Reticle give one. I like the simple Germin V and Ver.&Hox. lines. The 4x is great for my simple needs.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/ak-vepr-saiga-slr/posp-4x24-w-black-finish-400-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-ak-version.html

That's the scope I ordered,mine came with the German Reticle not the Russian one shown. It was not a real deal killer to me, as I don't need the extra range items the Russian Reticle gives one. I like the simple Germin V and Ver.&Horz. lines. The 4x is great for my simple needs.

That's the scope I ordered,mine came with the German Reticle not the Russian one shown. It was not a real deal killer to me, as I don't need the extra range items the Russian Reticle give one. I like the simple German V and Ver.&Hox. lines. The 4x is great for my simple needs.

Edited by rifleshooter474

I bought my Kobra red-dot for the Saiga 12 gauge from eastwave and it took about 1.5 months for shipping from Belarus to show up. I love it, but the wait almost did me in. I was looking at Kalinka as a faster alternative. I hadn't thought about zoom as a function of field of view, but for that thread alone you guys rock. I have a friend at the range with a POSP 6x that I'll have to check out before I order one. The only thing I'd add is that it's worth getting an illuminated reticle. The one I was looking at has variable zoom so I'll need to think it over. Looking at both the eastwave and Kalinka sites, I find myself wishing they had pics of these optics ON actual guns so that you could get a sense as to how big they are. Sure, they've got the measurements, but oh well.

Nailoth, are there any US manufacturers that work with the side mounts worth looking at?

for 200-300 yards max I would stick with 4x...I use a 4x Leupold on my .243 for deer hunting in east Texas...that way if im walking through the woods and Bambi pokes her head out its jerky and back strap time :super:

I just received my POSP 4x24 fixed 400m ranging optic from Kalinka yesterday. Only took 4 days to arrive Priority Mail. Fits well, although it is offset a bit left of the centerline of the rifle, iron sights are clearly usable with scope attached. It's bigger than I thought it would be and weighs 3 pounds. Optics are clear and the reticle looks etched. There are no batteries supplied for the LED illuminator. The manual that is supplied is only in cyrillic. I went online and there are broken links in the manual information, so don't expect any immediate help there. I hope to get out to the range tomorrow and get it sighted in and see how well my little Saiga can perform.