308 Scope recommendations for under $140

I am currently running a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 Scope with BDC 'cam/turrent' feature.

I am looking into higher magnification scopes. Prefer either BDC lenses or Mil-Dot ones...

Anyone have experience with:

The NC Star 6-18/24 x 44 or x 50 scopes??

The Nikon Pro Staff 4-12x40 models??

The BSA Platinum series 6-24x44 or ??

The Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 with Multi-X, The 6-24x40 Mil-Dot Illuminated ??

Other suggestions for under $140??..

Scopes are a tough subject but Ive found a couple of things over time that may help. Stay away from the top end and low end. The gains from the top end are really sparse and the low end is always just junk unless you really get lucky. NCStar is a no-no unless, and this might sound odd, you are looking for a scout scope to give that configuration a try. They do make a low mag scout (2.75x22 30mm tube IIRC) that really did pretty well as long as I had it on there. Zero never shifted and image was pretty fair.

Bushnell is a decent brand that's carried everywhere I have a couple on my target rifles I use when shooting for score and they have never let me down even on 30 cal. Course for something to carry in the field I prefer irons cause Im lazy and they have also never let me down.

Edited by Rhodes1968

SWFA is doing a closeout on Vortex Crossfires in 6-24x50 with mil-dot reticles for $99. I'm pretty sure Vortexes are made in Wisconsin, and I'm all for supporting domestic companies.

They also have the Simmons Aetec Master in 4-14x44 illuminated reticle/side focus for $139, says the regular price is $249. They also posted a mail in rebate for another 25% off from Simmons..I'll be ordering a Vortex Viper 2-7 for $169 from SWFA shortly. They also have the 30mm tube Hawke Endurance 3-9 for $179. I think if you can stretch your budget about $30 you can get into a different class of scope which will probably serve you better.

I do own an NCStar 4x and it suffers from significant distortion around the outside of the reticle. Also, the illuminated reticle was so bright it entirely washed out the whole view when it got darker out. I ended up using a thinner battery and sandwiching a resistor in there to cut the brightness way down. I put it on my .22 cal gsg-5 and the zero hasn't shifted but I don't plan on trying my luck with anything bigger...

I've had the chance to use the Midway BSA 6x24 Tactical TMD624x44/30SP and really like it so far. With solid and audible clicks,a side focus turret, 30mm tube, and great eye relief, I enjoyed shooting it at 300 yards - very bright and clear. Because of the length, it looks like I can even use low rings for a change, but no higher than medium. The tiny little manual even had the numbers for mildot calculations for other than 10x. With $100 off through 9/31, it's right at your budget.

Found my old BSA 6-24x40 Mil-Dot illuminated scope on closeout for $60 like I used to have for my AR back in 2002.

nsdhanoa.. I will keep an eye on the Vortex also.. I know ChileRe just grabbed one also not to far back..

Going to try riinging out my 308 again this weekend with the BDC but if that don't workout I will be searching for a new type of scope..

I think the eye relief of 4" is too much for the 'short' Drag Stock, and my scope is mounted as far forward on this mount as it will go..

other scopes are 3.2" - 3.6".. and I'm guessing that 1/2 - 3/4" is killing it for me..

my 2 NcStars I had in 4x32 and 6x32 had 3.4" eye relief which works GREAT with the WARSAW length(s)..

The Vortex is 3.3" and the BSA's are 3"

got to ponder this now.. :cryss::dollar:

Al

Edited by YWHIC

I learned just now that the stock and grip position/angle make a difference.

This is my 545x39 Saiga with Tapco SAW and Tapco Stock laying on top of the 'Drag' stock.. notice anything :cryss:

example:

post-8775-068646900 1284032863_thumb.jpg

I swapped the scopes and WOW I can see clearly from the 6x32 scope mounted on the 308 with 'Drag' stock, and WOW I can see the 3-9x40 scope mounted on the 545x39..

So before you all go get a 'Drag Stock' consider this picture.

Like I said though if I do a WAY rear chin/cheek weld with the 308 I can shoot but if I move foward to a more natural rest position I get the RING of death :devil: in the scope..

Going to try one more time with the 3-9 on the 308 though.. then I may need to order a different stock..

I want function more than 'DRAGANOV' looks at this point..

Al

PS... AR's NiteMare :lolol: 5.45x39 Saiga with BIG scope.. >>>>

post-8775-036955200 1284033878_thumb.jpg

Edited by YWHIC
  • 4 months later...

It's a little over your listed $$$ limit at $160.00, but you might look at the Redfield Revolution series. I've got the 2-7X33 model & I am VERY pleased. That $160.00 also buys you the AccuRange reticle wihich is very user-friendly (for $10.00 less, you can go with the plain duplex reticle). Glass is very clear. The turrets are finger-adjustable under the caps & very repeatable with nice solid clicks. The magnification ring is just right - not too tight or too loose. Give it a look.

As always - Just my opinion. YMMV!

Old SF

Forgot to update this thread in late September.. I went with a Bushnell Banner XLT 4-12x40 600 DOA Reticle scope $158 on EB.. (New)..

Very good and accurate with 2900-3100 FPS 308 ammo..

Hornady TAP 110gr ammo :dollar: .. @ 100 yards.. Hornady SST 150 gr did about 1 1/2" groups also.. :dollar:

post-8775-0-84419000-1297307435_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-28847700-1297307446_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-57009900-1297307462_thumb.jpg