Thoughts on mid-barrel brake

I have one on my gun I used last year. I had issues. It would run sometimes great and then not be happy at all. I had to play with the springs to the point I started having light hammer strikes as well. IMO it works great when it runs. Which is MOST of the time but not 100%. Being clean is a biggie and my new gun wont have one. I may play with the comped gun now that I dont have to use it for matches. There are custom guys who may have the magic wand but I read that S12s had issues at the PanAm and most that I saw pics of were comped. This gun ran 100% before the comp and once the new one is verified running that well the old gun gets some serious investigation. Personaly for a PRIMARY gun I would not do it again. Unless you have someone who is a custom builder that will GAURANTEE in writing it will work.

IF I could get it to work as well as a non comped gun it would be a no brainer.

I have learned a couple things of late to try when I revisit the comp gun.

My experience is similar to tneks. I haven't opened the gas ports yet as I can run Kent 1-1/4 oz fast lead just fine, but federal bulk will FTE from my MD20 drum on one day, but run great on another. Federal bulk runs 100% for 300 rounds through my 12 round surefires. That's really the only reason I haven't popped the gas block off and opened the ports.

Edited by hobbyshooter