Tapco G2 FCG in a Saiga 308

This is not good . . .

I'm part way through converting my Saiga 308 . . . I'm trying to use a Tapco G2 FCG, and having all sorts of unexpected issues:

1) The Tapco disconnector has a hole for the spring which is too small for the OEM Saiga disconnector spring . . . OK, so I bought another spring. Still this seems "not quite right", what gives?

2) The Tapco hammer is wider than the original. It seems to work fine w/o the BHO . . . what do I need to do to make the Tapco hammer work with the BHO?

3) It seems like the front of the Tapco trigger seems to catch on the factory cut receiver hole . . . it seems like I shouldn't have to be filing anything here. So what's the problem?

4) Could I have avoided these problems by using a different brand of FCG?

I've assembled AK's before and never have these sorts of issues . . . HELP!

thanks in advance,

Larry

This is not good . . .

I'm part way through converting my Saiga 308 . . . I'm trying to use a Tapco G2 FCG, and having all sorts of unexpected issues:

1. drill the hole a little bigger. it will be fine after that.

2.shave the side of the hammer. if you dont want to do that, just notch the safety lever to hold the bolt back. it does the same thing.

3.it may touch a little just lightly file the area thats rubbing till its smooth.

4.i dont think so. maybe the red star arms would work better but costs more $$$

hope that helps you out.

1) The Tapco disconnector has a hole for the spring which is too small for the OEM Saiga disconnector spring . . . OK, so I bought another spring.  Still this seems "not quite right", what gives?

2) The Tapco hammer is wider than the original.  It seems to work fine w/o the BHO . . . what do I need to do to make the Tapco hammer work with the BHO?

3) It seems like the front of the Tapco trigger seems to catch on the factory cut receiver hole . . . it seems like I shouldn't have to be filing anything here.  So what's the problem?

thanks in advance,

Larry

This is not good . . .

1) The Tapco disconnector has a hole for the spring which is too small for the OEM Saiga disconnector spring . . . OK, so I bought another spring.  Still this seems "not quite right", what gives?

2) The Tapco hammer is wider than the original.  It seems to work fine w/o the BHO . . . what do I need to do to make the Tapco hammer work with the BHO?

3) It seems like the front of the Tapco trigger seems to catch on the factory cut receiver hole . . . it seems like I shouldn't have to be filing anything here.  So what's the problem?

thanks in advance,

Larry

Ok first off have you read all the tutorials on this websight?

The disconnector spring on the 308 is bigger that a regular AK spring most drill out the hole to fit the Saiga one.

The tapco hammer is wider because there are no AK's with BHO. So what you need to do is grind off the hammer so the BHO will fit.

The holes on Saiga recievers are most likely rough cut and never fitted for the trigger as they didnt use the hole just open the hole up so it fits better.

No these are all normal things that happen when you convert Saigas. There is a reason it is called a conversion. None of the problems you listed are major. Just make the minor tweaks and it will all be ok.

Ok first off have you read all the tutorials on this websight?

<snip>

No these are all normal things that happen when you convert Saigas. There is a reason it is called a conversion. None of the problems you listed are major. Just make the minor tweaks and it will all be ok.

I guess I've never seen the tutorials . . . got links? Here's the one I found : http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=1903, but I would appreciate any others you might have.

In my board searches, I also found out about the need to grind the hammer. I also find references that indicate that the RSA hammer doesn't need to be ground, and that comes with a Wolf disconnector spring (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...94&st=0&p=50372).

thanks,

Larry

Edited by LESchwartz

All that seems normal to me. I had all the above problems in my conversion, but I didn't bother with the BHO since the magazine didn't activate it. The front of the trigger hole snagging on the trigger was a new one to me, never saw it mentioned before I did my conversion, so I trimmed my receiver and considered it a fluke. Other people since then have experienced the same problem though. The disconnector hole problem is well known though.