I scored some 8 rd mags for my AKS-20 and was pretty disappointed to find out they would only feed 3" shells. I had read about and tried taking the follower out of a 76 mm mag, turning it around backwards and getting it to work with the shorter less expensive shells but this does not work 100% and there will be jams if you don't correct the feed angle. The problem with mine was the shells were hitting the bottom RH side of the breech on their way in and getting hung up. This would gouge the plastic and make the shells hard to try and use a second time. Also with the follower turned around there is a "hill" the rim of the shell has to climb over first before it can be stripped from the mag (the beveled part of the follower usually at the front). I compaired the the feed angle of the shells in a 70mm (2 3/4") mag with that of the 76mm with turned follower and cut a wedge from a piece of wood to glue on the top of the follower and corrected the problem. I used oak because it's very hard and has a straight tight grain. Hickory or beech would also be a good choice. Or perhaps black walnut to even look better. It took some trial and error to find just the right sized wedge but now it works 100% perfect and I can use either 2 3/4" or 3" shells in the same mag with no problems. <Edit to add> I can still fit 8 shells in the mag and easily load on a closed bolt. I think it would even hold 9 if you trimmed the legs on the follower some.

A couple of hours experimenting, a couple of minutes with the miter saw and belt sander, and a few drops of superglue. Then a happy time at the range with a box and a half of shells (no FTFs or FTEs Hell yeah!!) and then BAM! Awesome! Here's the pics!

:super:

The first pic is of a 5 rd 76mm mag with regular follower holding a 2.75" shell, then in the middle, an 8 rd mag with follower turned around, and wedge added, holding a 2.75" shell, and on the right an 8 rdr with the follower turned around, without the wedge, and holding a shell. See why the shells are bottoming out?

Next pic is two 8 rdrs, both followers turned around, one with the wedge. See the "hole" in the back of the one without the wedge? This is where the rim is binding.

Next pic shows the same two mags with a shell loaded to again show difference in feed angle.

Last pic shows how the wedge looks before installation.

If anyone is interested I can make up some of these wedges for a small fee and mail them to you. Easy pop in installation. All you need is a few drops of superglue.

If others with the right tools, material, and knowhow want the exact measurements send me a PM and I will hook you up. :smoke:

post-1293-1134497203_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1134498182_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1134498211_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1134498262_thumb.jpg