Custom Gun Furniture by BattleRifle - The Next Generation

Alright folks, I'm back from a brief hiatus and am once again able to do custom gun furniture work. My past work has involved a saga of innovations and frustrations, and the whole scope of dealings from the best to the worst.

In short, I started off intending to offer something better, something different, both in my products and in how I deal. I've seen far too many gun business relationships go sour when a fellow had received many payments and items to work on and then lost touch. In some cases the customers cried thief when there was only a delay to work with. In other cases, their suspicions were more than correct. So when breaking into this field, I said that I wouldn't take money without a product ready to go (of course I waited for payment before shipping the product.) Well the G3 mag adaptor saga is an interesting one and is best left on its own threads. Suffice it to say it was the first of many learning experiences. In some cases, custom products have become really popular. In others, high cost options have been loaded onto items that nobody bought.

Leaving all of those discussions in their past threads (please do, for the love of humanity), things are different now. I have made many successful sales with many happy customers. I have developed a variety of my own designs and built them on my own initiative. In short, I now have a reputation to go by, and a reputation to keep.

Therefore, custom work will now require a deposit, and custom work will be priced differently than production work.

Edit: Tried to cough up uniform guidelines on custom furniture pricing, but have decided to keep my pricing figures proprietary. It seems that it would be easier to write a computer program for that stuff and quote prices upon request instead of putting terms in public that would confine my offers more than helping people figure stuff out.

I of course reserve the right to establish special terms and be generous without obligation to do so on every occasion.

Business sales are an entirely different animal with confidential terms.

Shipping is a flat $5 for grips and handguards regardless of quantity. Shipping is a flat $8 if the order includes at least one buttstock, this is due to weight. These prices are to the lower 48 states. Residents of AK, HI, PR, and international orders must make special arrangements. (Thus far I have only had one case of that - Alaska.)

With all of those details behind, here once again are a variety of items I have made already, both custom and production.

post-6-1120251263_thumb.jpg

post-6-1122002340_thumb.jpg

post-6-1121751593_thumb.jpg

post-6-1122854325_thumb.jpg

post-6-1123546496.jpg

post-6-1123651979_thumb.jpg

post-6-1130893242_thumb.jpg

post-6-1131425959_thumb.jpg

post-6-1131425982_thumb.jpg

post-6-1134279934_thumb.jpg

post-6-1138257574_thumb.jpg

post-6-1138779092.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3
  • Like 1
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright folks, I'm back from a brief hiatus and am once again able to do custom gun furniture work. My past work has involved a saga of innovations and frustrations, and the whole scope of dealings f

I'm still at it, but time available is less since I have a full time day job.   I'm not on any forums as much these days for the same reason. E-mail is the best way to reach me, though it sometimes

Posted Images

Guys, I've been working on some new and exciting designs. At the moment they're only designs, but the only thing between them and reality is whether or not folks are interested. So I'll make this proposition: I'll post a picture here of a design and anyone who wants to be a guinea pig will get a good price on it.

With that proposition comes a request: I need someone to take their S-12, remove the front handguard, and photograph it as straightly as possible. The idea is something upon which I can most accurately paste 2-D pictures of handguard concepts.

Current ideas include a few Galilish styles, a few long and a few short options, and such. What say ye to that, me hearties, eh?

Edited by BattleRifleG3

As soon as I have the pattern officially licked that is a definite can do. That fellow helped in the process and his stock required some final fitting. He'll be buying a 2.0 version when I can get it ready.

I'm assuming you want one for PSL, right, not stamped AK? Because I'm using the same pattern with slight differences for stamped AKs.

• 2 weeks later...
Lighting angle turned out pretty bad, so it really doesn't do it justice, but I just completed this Galil style handguard for the standard length S-12.

It's already claimed, but I expect there to be more. Give me a shout if you want one.

can you mount that on an S-12 so i can get an idea of what it looks like installed?

Also, if we send you the wood, can you do it out of that? i have some pretty nice exotic that i'd like to have a set made out of.

Thanks

caspian

Lighting angle turned out pretty bad, so it really doesn't do it justice, but I just completed this Galil style handguard for the standard length S-12.

It's already claimed, but I expect there to be more. Give me a shout if you want one.

can you mount that on an S-12 so i can get an idea of what it looks like installed?

Also, if we send you the wood, can you do it out of that? i have some pretty nice exotic that i'd like to have a set made out of.

Thanks

caspian

I can work with buyer supplied wood, and will try to get pics up when I can borrow a friend's S-20. I don't have an S-12 myself.

Here are some pics of works in progress.

For those who MUST have your AKM handguards for the S-12, here is half of a solution I'm coming up with. (You can thank Cobra for the other half, which is pending development.)

post-6-1140761298_thumb.jpg

I prefer my Galil style myself, but for those who must have their AK style, here it is, at least in progress.

Somehow this just looked unprecedentedly sweet. I'm not a fan of mismatched furniture and the stock is far from complete. I took these photos to work on specs with a customer on another stock.

post-6-1140761606_thumb.jpg

When I call this a Dragunov stock, I don't just mean a skeletonized thumbhole. No, this is as close to the real Dragunov stock as you can get on a stamped AK.

post-6-1140761723_thumb.jpg

With matching furniture, this stuff could make the ultimate "Saiganov."

Here are two grips I made on buyer supplied teak wood.

post-6-1140761900.jpg

The teak was crazy to cut with my scroll saw, but shaped surprisingly well under abrasives.

And last but certainly not least, the ultimate stock for the scoped, unconverted, highly accurate Saiga rifle. And the only stock I have ever made (if you don't count the Dragunovs) that was not ambidextrous.

post-6-1140762318_thumb.jpg

Don't think I'll make too many of these, at least on my own initiative, but it could be part of something really special for someone with the highly accurate S-308.

That's today's update. Had a few buttstocks to show that I really do make them (seems to be this horrible rumor that I don't) but apparently I didn't take those photos when I thought I did. They'll come later. I am a white guy so one could joke about my lack of a butt. Butt I think folks would be much happier looking forward to pictures of the real things.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I could customize a quasi-p-grip stock to be more like that one if you really wanted it that way, but note that your stock meets the generally accepted legal definition of a p-grip whereas mine does not. Regarding AK type handguards, the lower one is the easy part. The upper one is pending development and is based on a discovery made by a board member of another gun part that will fit the Saiga-12.

Two piece handguards are on the horizon, pending development. An AKM grip design is being prototyped. I'm not a fan, but other folks do like them. I like large curved duckbill grips, one piece handguards, and straightline buttstocks. Can you tell? :)

Here are some pics of more works in progress.

First, when the terrible rumor that I don't make buttstocks made it all the way accross the Atlantic Ocean to a board member in England, I knew I had to do something about it. So here are a few pics of buttstocks in progress. All three of these would be great choices for those using a scope. One has a raised buttstock for the ultimate in straightline, while the other two have ambidextrous cheekpiece type rises.

post-6-1141104752_thumb.jpg

And though just begun, I'm loving the way this walnut quasi-p-grip stock is turning out. The grain pattern puts laminate to shame.

post-6-1141104821_thumb.jpg

I just purchased the 22inch barrel version Saiga 308-1 and I am thinking about getting a custom stock and hand guard to replace the synthetic stock.

Your woodworking skills are amazing, and I was wondering what some new custom furniture might set me back.

Do I need to install a different trigger in order to have a pistol grip/custom made?

Any recommended upgrades besides a blackjack buffer?

What is the better buffer black or green?

Does anyone sell high capacity clips for this gun?

Any Info or feedback would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

Options for a complete set for the S-308 start at $120 + shipping.

I make stocks to work with the stock Saiga and with converted Saigas.

Hi-cap mag solutions are an ongoing project by many people, including myself.

I would recommend the green buffer for the S-308, as one is likely to fire fewer rounds from this rifle than from the other Saigas.

I just purchased the 22inch barrel version Saiga 308-1 and I am thinking about getting a custom stock and hand guard to replace the synthetic stock.

Your woodworking skills are amazing, and I was wondering what some new custom furniture might set me back.

Do I need to install a different trigger in order to have a pistol grip/custom made?

Any recommended upgrades besides a blackjack buffer?

What is the better buffer black or green?

Does anyone sell high capacity clips for this gun?

Any Info or feedback would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

I too just bought a Saiga .308. Tony Rumore will do the conversion, and BattleRifleG3 is making me a .308 furniture set, which will include the handguard, pistol grip and buttstock. I've seen enough of BFG3's work to know that both he and I will be proud of the end product.

:super::eek: DAMN! After seeing that Walnut wood grain,I am just about sporting some wood grain myself! :wub::lolol::super: That is it- I am ordereing the 3 vent holed forend and Quasi p grip in walnut- BR I am going to email you asap with my decision.

Finally got the opportunity to model some furniture on a friends S-20. Lighting wasn't the best on all the pics but they're not too bad either. Of course they don't do justice to the handguards.

First is the Schnabel style shown in the upper right of the group picture. This particular handguard is still available.

post-6-1141274496_thumb.jpg

Next is the style shown in the upper left of the same picture. It too is still available.

post-6-1141275161_thumb.jpg

And finally here is half of the AKM style I was working on. The critical component of the other half just arrived in the mail, so I hope to have good results there soon.

post-6-1141275319_thumb.jpg